HID pro and cons

jasfromnz

Registered
Hi all I have been reading all about this HID lighting,now can anyone give me some advice on the pros and cons like
what size?
I saw that it can muck up your other electrics?
are there some products out there that should not be touched?
any other advice anyone has would be awesome and if some one could point me to where I can get a good set from I just cant seem to find them here in New Zealand
forgot to say I ride a 2009 Highwayabuser(as they called here)

regards Jason

Jason, I don't tend to get in this conversation because my opinions go against the popular wood grain.

You have a Gen II and the lights are much improved over the Gen I. Do you ride a lot at night ?

I replaced the factory lighting on my Gen I after making adjustments to try and correct the problem. Back in '06 I rode at night occasionally and to be honest at 55 M.P.H. I found myself out running my headlights. The replacement went easy for me, not exactly plug and play as advertised back then. I had to trim a connector to get a good electrical connection and I had to mock up a spacers for the high beam bulb housing. After a few months friends noticed and I figured out that the low beam light wasn't always coming back on after starting the bike. If you have read the threads you will see all kinds of complaints and schemes for making HIDs foolproof.

While they do improve the lighting of the bike they just aren't worth the hassle IMHO on the Gen II and especially if the owner rarely rides at night.

I've been wanting to do it after riding with busa's with it done, but I'm not one to deal with "gremlins" which many report after installing them. Not worth it to me.

I've been wanting to do it after riding with busa's with it done, but I'm not one to deal with "gremlins" which many report after installing them. Not worth it to me.

read my writeup on installing with relays so far ive had several people who had the gremlins write me saying they rewired it the way i have outlined and it has gotten rid of all of their problems

read my writeup on installing with relays so far ive had several people who had the gremlins write me saying they rewired it the way i have outlined and it has gotten rid of all of their problems
Then take that Ferry over here, and put 'em in for me :laugh:

I havent had any issues with mine. I love having them! I have them on both my bikes, the girl friends bikes and both my vehicles!

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/108811-h-i-d-s-install-my-08-hayabusa.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html

Pros: Double the lighting, and more night time visibility at night on low beam. High beam even better. The install isnt bad. Just take your time. Order a second set of bulbs just in case one goes bad and you have it on hand. 35 watt system is all you need. 2 years + and no problems! Makes you more visible to traffic too!

Cons: If not routed correctly or have a poorly made unit, it can cause the dash gauges to act up and do funny things. Recommend ordering a set of bulbs so you will not be waiting on a bulb to get to you, since they are a specialty item. 55 watt system can be too bright and have heat issues depending on the headlight bucket shape and design. High beams if converted, you will loose the flash to pass feature. (Reason is that the high beam has to charge up to work). You can wreck a unit if you do not start up the busa up in the correct manor. Easy to learn or run a time delay relay.

Hope this helps!

you don't want to go with the 4300 on the low beam as it is the same color as the sun...if you are riding with the sun at your back, oncoming traffic will not see your headlight...i went with the 6000 low beam which is slightly bluish to attract the attention of other drivers and the 4300 high beam for maximum lighting at night when riding in the country...it has made all the difference

HID info

Colors:
Color is important, 4-5k gives the best performance and is closest to natural sunlight. It is also far less offensive to the eye, yours and oncoming traffic. The higher temps are more for bling factor, but will give less light and more "glare".

3000K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 3000K emits GOLDEN YELLOW color and offers superior penetration power during adverse weather epically in dense fog. The applications of the 3000K kit aim more towards secondary lighting apparatus such as high beam and fog lights. The 3000K capsule is actually a 5000K capsule specially coated with a film that filters out all the wave length except the range of wave length which emits yellow.

4300K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. This color is for customers who is looking for pure performance white improving the looks of their headlight. It is idea for customers who does a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility.

6000K has an approximately 2800lm output, which is 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 5000K. Although it has a bit lesser light output, it emits pure whiter light with very slight and barely noticeable tint of blue.

8000K has an approximately 2550lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K.

Power consumption:
These HIDs use much less power than stock bulbs, only 35 watts per bulb. They are the perfect option for bikes with weak generators that need more light. Using higher wattage halogens will not equal the power these produce, and higher wattage halogens produce alot of glare and light scatter.
Legality:
HID conversions are not technically legal in the US, but neither is speeding, or using "race only" pipes on a bike, so take that into consideration when making your purchase.

Will they blind other drivers?
If properly installed and aimed they will not. Actually I have been flashed less since installing and properly aiming them than I did with the stock bulbs. The only time I was flashed was on a turn when it pointed the light directly at an oncoming car. With the stocks lights I had to raise the beam slightly for better vision, with the HIDs I use factory spec settings. Remember, it is imperative to properly aim your lights, as the output is much more than stock.

What separates genuine Xenon gas-filled Bulbs from Xenon HID?
HID (High Intensity Discharge) is the technology in which the filament of the Halogen Bulb is replaced with Xenon gas. When high voltage is applied, the gas generates an arc of light. The Xenon gas generates 3x more light than standard halogen Bulbs. Most companies do produce gas-filled halogen Bulbs. These Bulbs do consist of a filament, but the gas gives off a bluer color. The negative part of xenon-filled halogen Bulbs, is they produce very little or no more then standard halogen Bulbs with the same voltage.

How long will the Bulbs last?
An average of 2500 hours is normal from bulb testing. But, most will outlast your ownership of the bike you install them on.... Hope this helps!

Oh yea the Busa
H7 low beam..
9005 High beam..

Knock on wood for me also. 2+ years and not a hiccup. I have the DDM set-up 6K HI-LO 35W.
I do employ the hold the starter turn the key pull the clutch start method and have not had a single issue with my lights or gauges. So, you'll only hear pro's from me other than I would like a true projector light housing set-up.

IMG_2113.jpg

Has anyone incorporated the HID setup, with a Halo light, as well. Can you run both. The halo, would be just for looks. Just wondering.

I switched over thinking I was going to get the Ohhh Wow factor on my 09. Installed them and couldnt wait to fire em up,, well I was like OK let me adjust them..... GenII's have the vertical and horizontal adjustment but for both beams.:banghead: When you raise the low beam to extend its beam path then your hi beams are up in the trees as your racoon hunting. I did a cheap mod and made a spacer for the low beam which angles in the housing to bump it up. Basically I adjusted the hi beam where I wanted it with the OEM adjusting bolts and then shimmed the low beam bulb to where I wanted its beam path.
Dont get me wrong I like the HID's but in all honesty was it worth the 2 hours and money in the project.. hmm personally I wouldnt do it over if I bought another GENII...
It will not mess up your electronics if they are installed properly as stated in the pinup... I didnt add any relays or timers I just changed my habit on how I start my bike and now its second nature.
Key in ignition, put kickstand up, push to run position, hit starter button, take bike out of gear and pull clutch in... Engine starts.... release starter button... lights come on.

Really HID's are meant to be ran through a projector lens so all in all HID's are to wide of a beam for the low beams housings on our GENII's

i was never happy about stock light si i went with 2 55w for thr low and high beams i never hade any issuies

Are you running 55w HID's with the 55W ballasts? How long have you been running them? Any heat issue showing into the pastic housing?
its about a year now and never hade any problems with heat or anything for that matter... i did bolth low and high beams with 55w ballasts with 5k bulbs

Gen I busa and only a 5k low HID . Had it for over 4 years now with no issues . I do have it on a switch so I can keep it off during starts . Best mod I've done

Go to board sponsor xenonking.com. Ask for Brandon and tell him you're with hayabusa.org and you'll get a discount. I'd go with the 5000k or 6000k. I have the vision pro 5000k low beam and vision pro 5000k high beam. It's totally plug and play, no modifications needed and it's probably the best modification you'll ever do.

HID's can be seen even during the day and I ride with my high beam on for safety during the day.

HID's can be seen even during the day and I ride with my high beam on for safety during the day.
thats a good way to get hit head on. HID's on high beam are very bright even during the day. if the person in front of u is blinded by ur headlights then it defeats the idea of making it safer for you.

thats a good way to get hit head on. HID's on high beam are very bright even during the day. if the person in front of u is blinded by ur headlights then it defeats the idea of making it safer for you.

Pro and cons to ride with it on or off. I choose to ride with it on. Everybody has an opinion on everything.

That is true if your headlight isnt adjusted properly. It should be angled to the right of the path of ridden. Staring into the side of the beam isn't blinding. Such as the sunlight, if your not staring into its direct beam its not blinding, same goes for arch welding etc.

Back