Prepping for a track day, replacing chain and sprockets 17/43 vs 16/41?????

Amelio

Registered
I just took the stretch off my bike and went back to stock settings to prep for a track day. When doing this I notinced some slop in the rear sprocket the cush drives are shot I also noticed my rear spocket I replaced over the winter is also shot (my fault I did not know better and used a Vortex aluminum sprocket) Anyway my chain is done too so it is time for new sprockets and a chain as well as some urethane cush drives.

I have been currently running a 17/43 sprocket setup and I absolutely love! I am looking at a kit it's a D.I.D 530ZVMX chain and steel sprockets for $236.00...not a bad price. I have looked at the Supersprox and heard of nothing but good from them but just can not swing the cost at the moment.....

I am trying to decide to stay with the 17/43 or maybe go 16/41????????

Has anyone run both combos? which did you like better?

As I mentioned I am currently running 17/43 so I dont care about 170mph plus I ride around town and track days so I would rather the bike be snappy and lots of low end grunt!

what are your thoughts?

As for actual change in final drive ratio.. there is practically none between the 2.
17/43 = 2.53
16/41 = 2.56
And as far as low end power goes with tracking a Busa, it will have plenty (the same) with either ratio you go with.
How many track days have you done?

yeah I know number wise they are extremly close on paper was just curious to see if anyone has actually run both to see if there is a real world difference.

As far as Track day's none, years back I had an R1 and rode very aggresively on the street multiple trips a month to the Dragons tale. I was going to get into racing actually had a race school scheduled and two weeks prior got into a bad accident.....could not walk for 3 months. Anyway I was thinking of selling the Busa and getting back into a litre bike to track and just thought abouot it real hard... i may do 3-4 track days a year and that is just not enough to give up my Busa I love it. So I decided just to track it.....took off the stretch and now I am looking for some junk plastics and a used tank......dont plan on taking a spill but you never know.

I would rather the bike be snappy and lots of low end grunt!

lol...most people would consider a stock busa to be that.

I would run the 17/43 over the 16/41 if only for a the shorter wheelbase. Long bikes are a pain to turn.

I run a -1/+2 on my old literbike and its a hoot. I can't imagine how much snap a busa would have geared down like that.

edit: However if you've neve done a track day I would keep the gearing conservative. Your going to be feeling out alot of limits your first time out on the track. Good luck and have fun!

Track gearing is not about how much low end grunt you can get, it's about getting the proper gearing to match the track. Different gearing for different tracks. Your busa has more than enough grunt to spin the tire on any corner exit. We all know the guy who gets the best corner exit speed is most likely the one to reach the next corner first.

17T front sprocket is preferred over 16T because the smaller sprocket robbs more HP in order to wrap the heavy chain in a tighter circumference. Also harder on the chain.

Whatever gearing you choose will likely make little difference in your lap times.

Thanks for the replies! I will stay with the 17/43 setup I have just time for new sprockets and chain. I am not really looking to set any blistering times at the track....I am a seasoned rider with lots of exsperirence I am really looking to just go and have a good time. Thanks again for the opinions it helped my decision of staying with a 17/43 combo!

Back