Advice on sprockets and chain with new wheels

2hip

Registered
Orgsters, My GenII will be getting a new sprocket this week. One of my friends said I should also replace the front sprocket and chain when I change rear sprocket. He said something about how the chain wears in a sprocket and it might be advisable to replace chain and front sprocket at the same time. I don't do burnouts..but I do track the bike and commute on it. The current setup has about 6K on it...advice solicited, please?

First just curious what makes you think you need a new sprocket ?

Second can't offer advice but only personal exp.
I changed wheels, rear sprocket and chain at 2400 miles.
I had heard same thing regarding changing all at once but decided not to do front sprocket. Only changed chain to get rid of the gold. Unless you have had to adj the chain alot in that 6k I don't see why you would have to change it.
It should run fine on new sprocket.
I now have run about 1000 miles with new chain and sprocket with old front and have had no problems.

Others will post up here soon

really need a visual on the sprockets... depending on what was on there..

I killed 2 sprockets in under 10K running the EK ZZZ chain.. AFAM and Vortex both went south in short order.. Called Vortex about this and they told me right up front that the EK ZZZ chain kills their sprockets because they do not stretch the .002 they build their sprocket to run with.. Stealth SuperSprox 14K ago and it is still brand new (went +3)

what chain and sprockets are you running and did you look at the teeth? they will look "hooked" or the root of the tooth will be worn..

here is the AFAM at 4100 miles

look closely at the teeth..
DSC_0025.JPG

TriMetal SuperSprox

DSC_0027.JPG

Last edited:
Many motorcyclists with high powered bikes always change both sprockets and chain concurrently. I used to do that but now I change gear ratios so often I kind of "spread the wear" across about 4 different sprockets......as long as you perform quality maintenance and regular inspection on your drive system, you'll be ok. Before you do any replacement, I suggest you research the difference in rear sprocket sizes, there are amazing differences in the 40 thru 46 teeth choices. Raydog

Mr Bogus..thanks for your post...how much are one of these supersprox? Is it a sprocket designed for dragging or track? I will post up some pics of my sprocket in 2 more days since I'm out of town right now...2hip

Alan, think of your chain and 2 sprockets as a matched set. When installed together, they wear together.

If you swap out a stretched chain for a new one but not the sprockets, you now have worn sprockets and a new chain. As a general rule, that's how it's always been through the years. Front sprockets are just 20 bucks anyway. Makes sense to change them if they show any signs of wear. If you look closely at the teeth on your front & rear, you can easily see the deformation in the teeth. Wear rates will vary per rider of course, but once that chain is stretched - time to toss it.

Then came along SuperSprox and changed all that. Bunch of us have them and I've probably got 25K+ on mine and little or no signs of wear. I think they're amazing. They only make a rear, and they run 90 bucks.

You can buy them here:

Don't have the 08+ listed yet (my to-do list), but can get those too. Coincidently, mailing out a Rear Sprocket + Chain combo kit from SuperSprox tomorrow to buyer in France. Can ship one to you anytime you are ready.

img_1404_supersprox.jpg

img_1404_supersprox.jpg

Alan, think of your chain and 2 sprockets as a matched set. When installed together, they wear together.

If you swap out a stretched chain for a new one but not the sprockets, you now have worn sprockets and a new chain. As a general rule, that's how it's always been through the years. Front sprockets are just 20 bucks anyway. Makes sense to change them if they show any signs of wear. If you look closely at the teeth on your front & rear, you can easily see the deformation in the teeth. Wear rates will vary per rider of course, but once that chain is stretched - time to toss it.

Then came along SuperSprox and changed all that. Bunch of us have them and I've probably got 25K+ on mine and little or no signs of wear. I think they're amazing. They only make a rear, and they run 90 bucks.

You can buy them here:

Don't have the 08+ listed yet (my to-do list), but can get those too. Coincidently, mailing out a Rear Sprocket + Chain combo kit from SuperSprox tomorrow to buyer in France. Can ship one to you anytime you are ready.

View attachment 173420

Tim, do the sprockets come in other colors than gold. I've worked hard at getting the gold off of my bike :laugh::laugh:. If not I'm sure I could just get the inside powdercoated. I might be adding to the order on my FP levers :whistle::whistle: with this and a dark smoke stock replacement screen here shortly.

really need a visual on the sprockets... depending on what was on there..

I killed 2 sprockets in under 10K running the EK ZZZ chain.. AFAM and Vortex both went south in short order.. Called Vortex about this and they told me right up front that the EK ZZZ chain kills their sprockets because they do not stretch the .002 they build their sprocket to run with.. Stealth SuperSprox 14K ago and it is still brand new (went +3)

what chain and sprockets are you running and did you look at the teeth? they will look "hooked" or the root of the tooth will be worn..

here is the AFAM at 4100 miles

look closely at the teeth..
DSC_0025.JPG

TriMetal SuperSprox

DSC_0027.JPG

+1 supersprox!

I have a RK GB530GXW chain running on SuperSprox and after 8K miles there is no sign of wear. I always change out both sprockets before mounting a new chain....

Tim, do the sprockets come in other colors than gold. I've worked hard at getting the gold off of my bike :laugh::laugh:. If not I'm sure I could just get the inside powdercoated. I might be adding to the order on my FP levers :whistle::whistle: with this and a dark smoke stock replacement screen here shortly.

Unfortunately for some, no. That's their company company colors and they are all the same - inside gold, outside black.

The style & look varies widely in the appearance of the sprockets among the bikes.

The one company that does a lot of colors is Vortex & you can get these anywhere.

displayimage.php

Wow Tim, what an amazing motorcycle you chose to illustrate the Vortex sprocket, it's owner must be very intelligent and good looking. Doyle

Wow Tim, what an amazing motorcycle you chose to illustrate the Vortex sprocket, it's owner must be very intelligent and good looking. Doyle

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You ego is only exceeded in girth by mine.

cheers
ken

Back