Need Drive Chain and Sprockets

(JoeDillo @ Feb. 09 2007,19:47) The mechanic said going with a 16t up front on a stock bike will cause the chain to rub the front of the swingarm where there is a rubber protector and eventually through it. Is this true? Has anyone else seen this?

Also, will I need to change the chain from stock size if I go to 16/42?

Thanks!
Have not heard of the rubbing problem and 16/42 will fit on a stock chain
biggrin.gif

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 09 2007,23:41)
(JoeDillo @ Feb. 09 2007,19:47) The mechanic said going with a 16t up front on a stock bike will cause the chain to rub the front of the swingarm where there is a rubber protector and eventually through it. Is this true? Has anyone else seen this?

Also, will I need to change the chain from stock size if I go to 16/42?

Thanks!
Have not heard of the rubbing problem and 16/42 will fit on a stock chain  
biggrin.gif
Keep the chain at proper tension and it shouldn't rub with 16-42. When I had mine with the 16-40, it rubbed it just enough to make an annoying noise... And yes, 16-42 works with stock chain length.

So I took apart the bike today to look at the whole setup and I decided not to put the 16t on based on how everything lines up. I put 1" raising links in the back which made the questionable clearance issue even more questionable. Based on that, I will not be putting on the 16t unless I am also doing the rear as well. The larger rear should help for clearance.

By the way, raising the back an inch makes the bike soooooo much more eager to dive into turns. It really is like a newer, lighter bike!

Thanks
Joe!

Changed my chain and sprockets today. Pretty easy job really. Hardest part was cleaning up all the crud under the front sprocket cover, all over the swing arm, rim and and everywhere else near the chain. That took longer than the actual job. Couldn't believe how streached the old chain was. My 03 had 12,000 miles on it when I sold it and the chain was still well within limit. This chain was toast at a little over 14,000. The first owner was quite a bit bigger than I am. That probably accounts for the streatch. Anyhow, glad that job is out of the way.

Back