Sprocket / Chain Match??

Rauzer

Donating Member
Registered
I'm putting my bike back to stock (bought it with a stretched swingarm). So I went to my local dealer to buy a new chain/sprocket (rear) assuming the front sprocket is stock. I dont know much about this spec wise, I am mechanically inclined tho.

So, the parts guy ordered me a RK 530XSOZ1-120 chain and a JTR499.40 Sprocket. He said the chain is longer in case the front sprocket is not stock. So I have a friend of mine who is going to help me do this swap (he's done it before), and he asked me to be sure the sprocket is a 530 also? The only thing stamped on the sprocket is JTR499-40 and a C45 on the inner part. The parts guy said "Yea, they're right", I just want to be sure before I tear it apart.

Anyone know if the chain and sprocket are compatible?? Thanks!

He gave you a 120 link chain...stock is 112 link. If anything the front would be smaller...not bigger. Tell him you want stock.
It would be wise to count the teeth on the front sprocket or look for stamping...not just order a longer in case.

Do you have a chain tool for cutting and pinning?

Your sprocket should be good. My 42 has JTR499.42

He gave you a 120 link chain...stock is 112 link. If anything the front would be smaller...not bigger. Tell him you want stock.
It would be wise to count the teeth on the front sprocket or look for stamping...not just order a longer in case.

Do you have a chain tool for cutting and pinning?

Your sprocket should be good. My 42 has JTR499.42

The guys thats helping me has the tool for the chain, so no worries there. What I didnt know is if the sprocket is compatible with the 530 chain, or is that not an issue. I dont reall know what "530" means...

530 is stock.

Chain is measured in eights of an inch.

The first number is the distance between pins. so a 530 chain has 5/8 of an inch between pins.

The second two numbers have a decimal point between them, and they measure the width of the rollers, so a 530 chain has 3.0/8 or 3/8 inch wide rollers.

a 525 chain has 5/8 of an inch between pins and 2.5/8 of an inch wide rollers, so a 525 or a 520 chain is a little narrower than a 530 chain but has the same distance between pins.

cheers
ken

The rough rule is to replace chain and sprokets together, so if it were me I would get a new front sprocket.
They are fairly cheap and may extend the life of the chain and rear if it is new at the same time.
JMO

Do you have everything you need?

Sooo, I can get a new front sprocket also, thats fine. So from what your saying, the 530 is the stock size, and it's the width of the chain (the 30 part).

So would that then mean the JTR499.40 sprocket (I know 40 is the stock tooth size) work with the stock 530 size chain. Maybe it's a no-brainer, but it's new to me.

The 530 520 etc refers to the number of the pitch of the chain, like KML described.
All 3 components have to be the same, ie 530 is a stock size of chain so the front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain have to all be 530.
The number of teeth on the front and rear sprocket can vary to personal taste.
To go down 1 tooth in the front or up 1 or 2 teeth in the teeth count (40 is stock for the rear) will give you more pull as you accelerate, but less top speed.
Going down a couple of teeth in the rear will make the bike's top speed be higher, but will accelerate a little slower.
The size of the front and rear sprockets will also determine the length of the chain (112 links is stock length)
I went 2 up on the rear (to 42 teeth) and the stock 112 link chain still worked fine, and now I have a little more pull and less top speed.

Hey here is a spreadsheet to show you the ratios.
Plug in your tire size and then play with some of the sprocket sizes , and see the results.

Attachments

• stock gearing.xls
    29 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Found my answer on the JT Sprockets website of all places... :whistle:

JT Sprockets: Catalogue

So I'll just order a new front sprocket to go with it. According to their site, JT says a 17 tooth is the stock size. So if i drop to a 16 tooth, I'll get a little more low end pull? Sounds like a plan.

Back