Prayers for the families

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Man Fleeing Police Kills 3 Motorcyclists

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- A suspected child molester who fled police in a stolen sport utility vehicle barreled through a stop sign Saturday and slammed into motorcyclists, killing three people.

Steven Halbert, 19, fled in the SUV after police cruisers pulled up to his house in Carter Lake, Iowa, to question him about accusations he sexually abused a child. The vehicle's owner had reported it stolen on Friday, police said.

Police pursued Halbert at high speeds for about five miles into Omaha, where Halbert collided with two motorcycles, said Omaha Police spokeswoman Cathy Martinec.

Michael Rock, 50, of Omaha; Terry Partain, 51, of Omaha and Yvonne Campbell, 41, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, were killed instantly, said Martinec. Campbell was a passenger on Partain's motorcycle.

Halbert was thrown from the vehicle, which went airborne and slammed into a parked semitrailer. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition with brain and other internal injuries.

"Body parts were everywhere," Martinec said. "In order to do that kind of trauma, he was going awfully fast."

Halbert was also wanted on a felony warrant in Nebraska for failing to show up for his sentencing last month on a drug conviction, she said.

The Douglas County Attorney will determine what charges Halbert will face from the fatal crash if he survives, Martinec said.

Pull the plug on that bastard. Just let him die & save us all the time and $ of trying him.

#######!

Ditto on that!!!!!!
mad.gif

Man that sucks. My symptahy goes out to the families. As far as the perp goes,...two choces, Regular or extra crispy.

Chris

My prayers to the families. But as much as I would like to see him fry. I would hope he doesn't. I would like it if he was paralzyed from the neck down that way he would suffer everyday that he was alive. and wishes he was dead
firedevil.gif

Pull the plug on that bastard.  Just let him die & save us all the time and $ of trying him.

#######!
That is a horrible story. Absolutely prayers and sympathy go out to the families involved.

I agree with the pull the plug comment! A child molesting thief that kills motorcyclist running from the cops deserves the worst!

My sympathies to the families of those motorcyclists. As for the fuggin scum bastid.....he'll get his, in this life and the next.

That is so incredibly sad...my thoughts are with those families...I hope they never saw it coming...

I hope the guy successfully does himself in to save some money...with so many circumstances around the crimes, he'll be in the system for years and years...
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079966603 -->

This is sad and I also have an additional take on this. Why are the police still putting the general public and innocent people in danger by continuing high speed pursuits? Statistics show that the pursuit is far more dangerous than the suspect in all but a few cases. Just this weekend I had to respond to an officer down, he wrecked his patrol car going to fast to a call. This sucks having to be a FF/EMT treating someone that you know. This has to stop unless the person is proven to be more dangerous than the pursuit that will follow. IMO
wink.gif
I also disagree on pulling the plug on this guy, let him suffer in his mind and then face charges if he ever wakes up.
mad.gif

BTW, this is not a slam on LEO's. I know how the adrenalin works when a call comes in and I would probably be hitting the throttle to get the SOB too. There just needs to be policy against it so it is not a choice.

I agree justin...so sad that so many other lives are now affected by his actions...

It's a hard line to draw...look at this guy - suspected child molester...the police wouldn't want him on the streets any longer than necessary, so for them to pursue him is understandable...seems in hindsight that something else could have been done to avoid an outright chase...tough call; glad I don't have to make those decisions...

BT and other police officers should chime in here...where is the line? If any? Is it a case-by-case call to pursue or not? Just curious...

If you run, cops should be allowed to shoot you. under the intent of doing damage with your vehicle.

Saying a prayer for our fellow riders and there families.

If you run, cops should be allowed to shoot you. under the intent of doing damage with your vehicle.

Saying a prayer for our fellow riders and there families.
The COPS used to have this avenue...Meaning they could shoot a fleeing felon...The problem was that meant any felony crime...In Memphis the officers shot a burglary suspect that ended up being a juvenile and that is what caused a change in the application of deadly force...Now there has to be an imminent threat to society (immediate) or the officer for deadly force to be used...We may however see a change in this limitation if our society ever established the mindset that their tired of being victimized by the same criminals...
evil.gif

BTW, this is not a slam on LEO's. I know how the adrenalin works when a call comes in and I would probably be hitting the throttle to get the SOB too. There just needs to be  policy against it so it is not a choice.
LEO'S shouldn't haul a$$ to every call...Nor should they respond as if their driving Ms. Daisy...You can't have a policy that restricts pursuits...Constant training and reminders are the key here...And negative discipline for LEO'S that are found to be violating any current policy in place related to this sort of issue...
evil.gif

This is sad and I also have an additional take on this. Why are the police still putting the general public and innocent people in danger by continuing high speed pursuits? Statistics show that the pursuit is far more dangerous than the suspect in all but a few cases. Just this weekend I had to respond to an officer down, he wrecked his patrol car going to fast to a call. This sucks having to be a FF/EMT treating someone that you know. This has to stop unless the person is proven to be more dangerous than the pursuit that will follow. IMO
wink.gif
I also disagree on pulling the plug on this guy, let him suffer in his mind and then face charges if he ever wakes up.
mad.gif
I am not going to go into great detail here because it would be wrong to distort this thread any more than I already have...But at any rate when the suspect decided to flee he in essense established the rules...His actions alone were the ones that placed society at risk...

There's more than likely a thread that is discussing pursuits or someone can start another and we can debate it there...

Sorry for taking from the meaning/nature of this thread...

My prayers will extend to the families of the victims...
evil.gif

No apologies STUNNAH...I'm sure the families are wishing a "no pursuit" rule had been in place; they're all possibly debating what we are right now...

Like I said, I wouldn't want to make the call...it's hard either way...

Back