Another one

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Fri June 23, 2006
Edmond man dies in motorcycle wreck

EDMOND - A 21-year-old motorcyclist died tonight in when he tried to avoid a car and wrecked, police said.
Robert Clark, 21, of Edmond died on Santa Fe Avenue north of Second Street when a sport utility vehicle pulled out of a parking lot, said Glynda Chu, Edmond police spokeswoman.

“He laid the bike down to avoid a wreck,â€￾ she said.

Clark was wearing a helmet, Chu said. No one was cited after the wreck.

That is horrible, prayers for his family and friends, did the same earlier this week, very fortunate......

Sorry to hear about that!
sad.gif
Condolences to the family.

why lay a bike down to avoid a wreck ...isnt doing that a wreck ?!if a crash is imminate DO SOMETHING ANYTHING but dont give up and go for a slide R.I.P young blood.

Prayers for his family!

why lay a bike down to avoid a wreck ...isnt doing that a wreck ?!if a crash is imminate DO SOMETHING ANYTHING but dont give up and go for a slide R.I.P young blood.[/QUOTE]

every situation is a little different, I assume, but do you think it is never better to lay it down? I would think at times the slide is better than being catapaulted when a bike hits a stationary object (car) or is thrown into the object. Is there a technical rule of thumb that says don't slide? Just courious to hear from some of you that have ridden for a long time and/or are professional.

There is nothing on your body, gear, or bike that will slow down faster than the grip of the rubber in the tires. Simply put, you will slow down more using the brakes than sliding. Would you rather slide into the underside of a vehicle (maybe under the tires!) at higher speed or the upper portion at lower speed?

Instead of laying down, use the brakes to slow down as much as you can before impact. Or try to swerve. The only situation I can think of where it might be better to lay it down is if you get cut off by a semi and are trying to make it under the trailer.... but that's a million-to-one shot anyway.

Use the brakes!

Damn it I hate these stories but I read them to learn and keep focused. I dont know what happened but things that mayby could have been done to avoid this--Swerve,Slow Down,Cover Clutch and be ready to brake hard,Change lanes not saying he did anything wrong just getting us all to think what would we do. RIP my brother and like I say look down on us and keep us safe.

Prayers go out to the rider's family n friends. N to all the Fk'n retarded cagers out there that are oblivious to us... hope that biker's body and wrecked bike haunt that stupid SUV driver till they're old n grey-if they aren't already:angry:

Prayers for his family!

why lay a bike down to avoid a wreck ...isnt doing that a wreck ?!if a crash is imminate DO SOMETHING ANYTHING but dont give up and go for a slide R.I.P young blood.

every situation is a little different, I assume, but do you think it is never better to lay it down?  I would think at times the slide is better than being catapaulted when a bike hits a stationary object (car) or is thrown into the object.   Is there a technical rule of thumb that says don't slide?  Just courious to hear from some of you that have ridden for a long time and/or are professional.[/QUOTE]
ive been riding bikes hard for 30 years,crashed ,watched people crash.and even caused people to crash.and anyone who knows bikes and how to survive on them ,will tell you that laying a bike down is not a option!! listen ..anyone can go down,but to go down (wreck bye leaving your path up to chance bye not having anymore control over anything ) is the dumBest thing you can do !!!!if your in BIG TIME TROUBLE AND YOU CAN LAY IT DOWN THEN YOU CAN AT LEAST TRY TO SLOW DOWN OR RIDE OUT OF IT.theese arent old harley davidsons that you cant control. they are made to go fast and handle.anysport bike is the best there is now a days.at 21 he needed more time on a dirt bike getting riding skills.not "laying it down"R.I.P YOUNG BLOOD.

There is nothing on your body, gear, or bike that will slow down faster than the grip of the rubber in the tires.  Simply put, you will slow down more using the brakes than sliding.  Would you rather slide into the underside of a vehicle (maybe under the tires!) at higher speed or the upper portion at lower speed?

Instead of laying down, use the brakes to slow down as much as you can before impact.  Or try to swerve.  The only situation I can think of where it might be better to lay it down is if you get cut off by a semi and are trying to make it under the trailer.... but that's a million-to-one shot anyway.

Use the brakes!
bingo.... this guy will survive

Back