Powder Coating Stock Rearsets

looking at the very last pic on the reaset that greenbean posted, if the bushings are pressed out that rubber spacer is still attached to the rearset. it looks like they are glued on. can somebody tell me what to do here. do i pull them off with the bushing out? can i just pull them off and leave the bushings in place. i pressed one of them out but the rubber grommet was still attached and they were pretty hard to get out, so i put it back and left the rest alone. i'm afraid i'll never get them back in without damaging the powdercoat when they are done. these need to go out to coating tommorrow morning. can somebody PLEASE HELP ME OUT! thanks in advance.
one more thing, can i also powdercoat the brake cylinder, or are there rubber parts inside, ie plunger etc. that will get damaged with the heat.

I just cut them off slowly with a new razor blade. Then cleaned up left over rubber with a dremel tool and a sanding disc. I'll probably re-glue them back on after the coating is done and I get the bushunga in.

I can't decide if I want to black out my bolts for the pegs and the rear MC yet.

I want the screws that hold the rubber pads in to be black but am not sure on the rest.

Gotta look at some more pictures I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

hey greenbeen. can you coat the m/c or not? it looks like there are some rubberplunger parts internal. will it hurt to bake it during the powdercoat process? good tip about cutting the rubber spacers off with a razor. i thought they were just glued on. i think i may just leave the bushings in. what would it hurt?

It depends on who is doing the coating.

If they are costing a lot of stuff at the same time they might want you to remove them. If they are done by themselves then they might be ok left in.

I wouldn't bother with the brake MC back there. To much at risk with rubber internal parts and safety and things.

Besides it'll be messy. While off with brake fluid and stuff.

Good luck though, be sure and post pics afterwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

hey greenbeen. can you coat the m/c or not? it looks like there are some rubberplunger parts internal. will it hurt to bake it during the powdercoat process? good tip about cutting the rubber spacers off with a razor. i thought they were just glued on. i think i may just leave the bushings in. what would it hurt?

Master cylinder can be powdercoated. It must be disassembled completely, very labor intensive.

Questions for you PC guys, I removed all my foot peg hardware today and have been trying to remove as much as I can, gonna go back into the garage in a minute and try a 14mm socket on the bushings, Don`t touch bushing, it can be done with bushing installed.

Here is my questions,

Whats about the copper colored insert on the shifte lever and the ball and socket joint, This is bronze bearing, must be masked before coating. Usually cone plugs used for that.

Are you guys also power coating the shift rod itself and the piece that attaches it to the tranny? I do 3-4 layers special formulation powder on brake pedal and shifter.
Polyester powder will wear off on those pieces in couple of years.

Check my pics, sorry for the quality, My BB is just 2.0mp,

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzcuanBn.jpg

Lastly,
this is the column that the brake lever pivots on, I think it can be threaded out but how ca I get it out and not damage the smooth surface that the brake pedal moves on?
Don`t touch it, it can be masked.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzQuanBn.jpg

Also, what size shoes do you wear that you say you can't keep your feet of your pipes, I am leaning towards the M4 slip-ons myself...I wear a size 15 though:banghead:

:brave:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info,

I actually removed the bushings wish ease with a 14mm deep well socket and a 3lb sledge hammer. lol..

Now I gotta find a place I can send all this stuff to to get it done,

What about the ball/socket joint for the sift rod ends? What do you recommend for those...???

Thanks for the info,

I actually removed the bushings wish ease with a 14mm deep well socket and a 3lb sledge hammer. lol..

Now I gotta find a place I can send all this stuff to to get it done, Finding the right place is a trick. It`s like car painting... Can be done at Maaco too..

What about the ball/socket joint for the sift rod ends? What do you recommend for those...???

Can be done if your powdercoater ever did something high tech, not just park benches. :whistle:

:thumbsup:

vic seems to have the knowledge and i appreciate the help. thanks for the info, it has really helped me. i think mine are ready to go.

i just got back from dropping off my stuff to the powdercoater.the employee was helpful and seemed to have some knowledge about the work. after several minutes of debating and asking other employees about those bushings, she agreed that they could stay in and shouldn't get damaged. i told her to try it and if they were damaged i would not hold her liable. i'm assuming the bushings can be purchased seperately from the rearsets. oh well, too late now! i sure hope mine turn out as good as everyone elses. I also shipped the mid pipes off to jet-hot coatings per several recommendations from board members. now i'm just waiting:whistle:

Last edited:
i just got back from dropping off my stuff to the powdercoater.the employee was helpful and seemed to have some knowledge about the work. after several minutes of debating and asking other employees about those bushings, she agreed that they could stay in and shouldn't get damaged. i told her to try it and if they were damaged i would not hold her liable. i'm assuming the bushings can be purchased seperately from the rearsets. oh well, too late now! i sure hope mine turn out as good as everyone elses. I also shipped the mid pipes off to jet-hot coatings per several recommendations from board members. now i'm just waiting:whistle:

I am having my rearsets powdercoated and the mid pipes of the R77 right now. Done locally. I will post pics when the get done......best of luck:whistle:

Vic has done alot of these including mine and knows how to do them right .

000_1892.jpg

Thanks for the info,

Now I gotta find a place I can send all this stuff to to get it done,

Hey green, Horizon PC does all my stuff, Hal is very reliable and reasonably priced. Take a look at my signature for the web Addy. Any questions send me a PM.

Back