Powder coat footpegs questions

cyclefarm

Registered
I have my footpeg hangers off my 2011, going to powder coat them black but I have a few questions for those who have done this before:

1. Best easiest way to remove the silver paint?
2. Did you remove the rubber bushings from front brackets? If so, did they come out easy without damage?
3. Did you remove the steel pivot pins on the right brake bracket? If so, how?
4. Gloss black should look OK? I don't have access to matte black and my fairing is gloss black.
5. Did you powder coat the actual pegs or leave them silver? I'm planning on leaving silver.
6. Did you powder coat the large front hanger bolts that go through the rubber bushings? I want to leave silver.

I'm going to saw off the funky hooks from the rear before coating.

Does anyone have a spare left rear bracket for cheap? I'm going to cut off the exhaust hanger on the left cause I have a 4-1 exhaust but want to keep a spare with hanger in case I put Givi bags on someday. Thanks!!

I sent mine off, from memory I pushed the bushings out easy. I'll try to go back and find the thread because I posted pix in it. Someone with a memory might be along soon.

I cut the hooks off of mine with a bandsaw, then hand sanded them smooth.
I then sent them to T&M Powdercoating(in Dad's link above^). You can't tell the hooks were ever there.
T&M also does an excellent job, and I had them back in a week.
T&M uses the same black color as the frame, unless you want something else.

I'd go with T&M but I have a factory that will do it for free. Only problem is it will have to be more of a gloss black. I think it'll be OK. Thanks for the link dad and the advice six.

I'll try pressing the rubber bushings out sometime this week. I've pressed similar but much larger rubber bushings out of my John Deere combine and when they came out the rubber was ruined. I think I'll leave my pegs silver, can always do them later.

Got the 6 rubber bushings pressed out pretty easily. Thinking about cutting or trimming the huge shin guards too. Mostly concerned about chain side, don't want to trim so much my pants get in the chain!

I left the bushings in and they were fine. Powdercoated all things and some I used Rustoleum paint on.

The screws in my op need to be done for a clean uniform look.
73D676E8-4792-44D9-90C6-924D3BD19442-1292-0000016CD245EC16.jpg

Use this for other stuff:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...t-oleum-satin-excellent-rattlecan-things.html

Got them cut down, now just have to strip the paint. I HATE blasting, might try some parts cleaner or paint remover. Almost removed the LH muffler hanger from left rr peg but might need it someday for givi bags. Am tempted to saw off the short hanger brace on rear peg brackets too.

007.jpg

Here's how they turned out. Trimmed heel guards off, and cut weird hooks off back. Powder coated kind of satin/gloss black. Was worried how it would match, but I'm happy. Man, I'm cold!!!

busapegsrh.jpg

busapegslh.jpg

Looks good but no idea why you cut off the heal guards?

I suppose I could ride in the grass ditch for 2.5 miles to my acreage instead of riding on the gravel...maybe not :)

My opinion, the heel guards on the Gen 2 stick out like a sore thumb, didn't like the size and shape of them. I tried trimming them down but ended up going all the way. I don't really need them and figured I could buy some originals again if I didn't like these, but I like 'em.

heres a quiick look at mine....love the look...i kept the hanger holes and put the busa plugs in...i also kept the hooks, just incase i use my cargo net.:thumbsup:

78.1.jpg

Back