those who have powdercoated their rearsets

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
Did you remove the rubber bushings? If so I take it with a socket and vise or similar? And if so what did you do for bushings after being powder coated?

Greg

Yes, take them out or depending on the oven they will melt. A socket and vise will work fine. They actually come out pretty easy (they have a little glue or something on them for factory assembly so they appear tougher than they are)... ;)

i remember a long long long time ago trying to take them outta my 00 when i polished them, and screwed it up LOL, probably was just pushing on the rubber and not the steel bushing, don't remember what i did to fix it LOL.

I was going to do them myself maybe, have a powdercoating setup and a little toaster oven.

i left them in and they turned out fine on my 07. its the older models (99-02) that have plastic bushings that have to be removed.

Left mine in, didn't hurt a thing. Even my PowderCoater said don't worry about it. I even left a couple of the rubber washer things on because they were so stuck to the bracket I couldn't get them off without tearing them up. I also left my shift lever and foot brake attached...... perfect.

100_3564.jpg

I went ahead and used a 14mm socket I think and a 3lb sledge to get mine out,

If I could do it again I would have sent them to a guy who would have pressed then in and out the right way. There is a guy on the boards here who does them.

I had no choice but when they are "pounded out" with a hammer and socket, You have got to be careful not to ruin the rubber bushing between the center that the bolt goes through and the rubber surround that keeps it stiff to the actual foot peg.

Again if I could have paid more and sent them off I would, if I had the second chance,

Now mine came out great, no problems, I was able to drive the bushings back in correctly but also had to order and replace the little rubber "washers" that seem to be glued onto the back side of the bushings. Suzuki got like 3 bucks for each of them also, ???

Good luck either way you go, I know it's one of the best looking mods you can do.

MyBusa.jpg

I'm thinking that I'm going to have the rearsets powdercoated but the passenger pegs are going to be painted to match the bike instead of powdercoating black.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have the rearsets powdercoated but the passenger pegs are going to be painted to match the bike instead of powdercoating black.

You sure man, It's gonna be a very slim chance the shades match.

Good luck though.

I went to a machine shop and had mine pressed out. Easy they also put them back in. If it's going to be in the oven longer than 10-15 minutes you should remove them or they will be ruined. My powder coater did 45 min oven time. Also I had all my parts bead blasted not sand blasted and the powder coater loved it. :thumbsup:

Back