pwdercoating rearsets and pegs

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
got my rearsets and passenger pegs ready for powdercoating but i have a question. the three holes that the bolts to hold the rearsets on have a insert in them. it seems they are set in a rubber bushing of some sort. do these have to come out to be powdercoated and if so how do they come out? thanks

bikeandcamper_076.jpg

Vic was doing them and I thought he said they did't come out . I don't know for sure but I just sent mine to him and after 20,000 miles and 2 years they are holding up sweet!!

You should definitely remove them.  

You'll need to find an appropriately-sized driver (socket, or the like), and carefully drive them out.

Don't forget to powder-coat the three mondo socket-head bolts.... wrap aluminum tape around the threads to keep powder-coating off of them....  
thumb_up.gif

powder_RT_rearset.jpg

I would attempt to remove. The problem is we don't know where the coater keeps the temp and we don't know
at what temp the rubber's property will be altered.

NTME

warchild that looks good. i already got the bolts in the bag. good tip on tape around the threads. i was wondering how to protect them and what kind of tape to use that would not melt. one question,warchild did you do your a matte color or a glossy color? thanks

warchild that looks good. i already got the bolts in the bag. good tip on tape around the threads. i was wondering how to protect them and what kind of tape to use that would not melt. one question,warchild did you do your a matte color or a glossy color? thanks
It is a matte black color.... got it from Harbor Freight, believe it or not.

The tape is simply referred to "aluminum tape"; your powder-coater will recognize the term.

Fortunately, the rubber inserts for the rear hangar brackets come out and go back in much easier that the rearsets do.....

HangarBrackets7.jpg

It is a matte black color.... got it from Harbor Freight, believe it or not.

The tape is simply referred to "aluminum tape"; your powder-coater will recognize the term.

Fortunately, the rubber inserts for the rear hangar brackets come out and go back in much easier that the rearsets do.....
Looks good War
ThumbsUp.gif
Did you powder coat yours yourself? If so how hard was it? I just want to do the rear hanger brackets black. I'm going to order gold adjustable rearsets.

looks good warchild. i was set on glossy black,but after seeing your pics i think i will go matte black.also i got the rubber inserts out just the way you said.i also took a pic in case anyone else wanted to know how to get them out. thanks

bikeandcamper_078.jpg

It is best to remove them. The holes will need to be taped off for powdercoat as to not build up the surface. BUT.......the curing temperature is not warm enough to hurt the rubber bushings and they could be left in. Just makes it harder in clean masking.

Warchild, if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay to get your rearsets powdercoated? Looks like you powder coated all four?

Warchild, if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay to get your rearsets powdercoated? Looks like you powder coated all four?
Yes, all four.

Also the shifter assembly, shift rod, and foot brake lever.

My office mate did the shooting, and he has shot a lot of hardware for me over the past couple years. I bought him a 20lb bag of aluminum oxide beads for his sandblaster, and a couple of beers.
cool.gif

Here is the bike all back together after the hardware was re-installed:

PowerDone7.jpg

Anyone use the Sears powder coating gun? Just wondering how it works for small stuff like this
I would ask that question on the eastwood forum. I think with small items, and shooting matte, or flat, or satin, it would be fine. I have an Eastwood Hoby gun, Pro Gun, and a caswell plating high voltage gun. but prefer the hobby gun over all of them for easy clean up. and I have done some good work with all. With 10 PSI from a small compressor, I did, well, everything I own that wont melt!

Color_gold_029.jpg

Back