Please give me some insight on this problem

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys- I need some help on a problem I've got with the bike and just wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them----

I just got through syncing my throttle bodies saturday afternoon--- the sync went great, bike was running very smooth and all was good.... went ahead and got it all back together and decided I would run it down the road for a minute before i quit for the day...it was cold as crap out but you know how it is, I just had to go for a short spin...
It had been not more than 15 minutes since i completed the sync and shut the bike off...got every thing buttoned up, and started the bike back up before I backed out of the shed. It started up instantly as always, idling as usual...I got on and backed up out of the shed, as soon as my front wheel hit the ground out of the shed, the bike just went DEAD as if I had just hit the kill switch....
I looked down and my instrument gauge was still illuminated as it should be but I have NO numbers showing on the clock or mileage...the LCD'S are illuminated but NO NUMBERS.. also, the RPM'S,and coolant temp gauge hands are stuck at the settings they were at when the bike died...
I cut the key off and then back on and nothing...you know the hands on the gauge are supposed to move full circle and then back to "0"...but they don't move either...
I can still turn the bike over with the starter switch and it turns over as it should but no start-up...it just turns over like i have the engine in the cut-off position.

I know it obviously sounds like something electrical.... but I am just curious what it sounds like to anyone else or if someone else might have had the exact same thing happen---to kinda give me some direction to troubleshoot in...

I haven't checked any fuses or anything yet but am going to try to get out there this afternoon and start troubleshooting... the odd thing I don't understand is obviously that it won't crank but why I have illumination in the LCD's but no numbers displaying...and that it won't allow the bike to crank....

I know it may be something as simple as a fuse, but even if it's that I'm wondering if something else is wrong electrically to have caused it to blow a fuse...bike is only 1 1/2 year old...

I'm just kinda puzzled and if anyone has had this same thing happen, I'd appreciate you giving me your story--maybe it can help me know what to look for==== I'll update and pass on whatever I find out in case this happens to anyone else in the future... thanks, Chris

Chris,
Put a tender on your battery and see if it is charged/will take a charge. Also, check the fuse under the seat ont left side of the bike.

+2 check the fuse. Had that happen on my 1K. Same thing except I was actually riding down the road.

Shawn, GriffBM... thanks for the info..I will check this this afternoon.. That got me to thinking..I just installed a Scorpio Alarm on my bike and you know it constantly pulls on the battery at all times...could that be the problem that the battery is just too drained??? But why would my bike have cranked for the throttle sync and ran??? Also, it started back up after i got through with the sync instantly, and it ran for several minutes while I was doing the sync...wouldn't that have charged the battery back up enough while it ran?
rock.gif
? thanks for the input guys....

Chris,
The charging system doesn't actively recharge your battery unless there is a load placed on it - usually you have to run it over 4K rpms to get the system working... and during the sync you may not get it up there and hold it for an appreciable amount of time...

Shawn, you're exactly right about not getting above 4k on the sync...

I only ran it at about 1150-1200 during the process as we are supposed to... man I hope that is all it is... AS ALWAYS, thanks shawn for the help my friend.... I will charge it tonight...maybe that is all it is...

Shawn, and anyone else....

Have you found that running an alarm system or such on the bike will necessitate having to run a battery tender on the bike all the time?
rock.gif
I did not realize that it would place such a drain on the battery- anyone shed some light on this further for me?

Chris,
Sorry that I missed you BDay yesterday - hope it was a good one. As far as the battery - I installed the TW-400 and have noticed that among all of my electrical mods, the alarm was the one that I noticed an increase requirement to put the battery on a tender. There must be somecurrent going o the alarm at all times, bcause you can arm and de-arm it with the bike off... just my .02

Shawn

Shawn, you're right...my scorpio puts a constant drain on the battery but I didn't know that it would possibly be enough to drain it so...BUT, also during most of the year I am riding EVERYDAY at about 2 1/2 hours a day at way above 4K rpms...which would keep my battery fully charged no problem...
BUT, I installed this alarm here just a few weeks ago, and also during some VERY COLD WEATHER here--- I just haven't been able to ride enough to keep the battery fully charged---so that could very well be all this is...man I hope so-- Thanks again Shawn- I will charge the battery tonight and let it trickle from there on- I will still check all the fuses any way this afternoon and will let everybody know how it turns out...

Also, Thanks for the BDAY wish Shawn---- I had a good one with the family and at church too--- surrounding yourself with good people = priceless.... just like the family here on the .org = priceless
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

woot.gif

woot.gif

Shawn, you're right...my scorpio puts a constant drain on the battery but I didn't know that it would possibly be enough to drain it so...BUT, also during most of the year I am riding EVERYDAY at about 2 1/2 hours a day at way above 4K rpms...which would keep my battery fully charged no problem...
BUT, I installed this alarm here just a few weeks ago, and also during some VERY COLD WEATHER here--- I just haven't been able to ride enough to keep the battery fully charged---so that could very well be all this is...man I hope so-- Thanks again Shawn- I will charge the battery tonight and let it trickle from there on- I will still check all the fuses any way this afternoon and will let everybody know how it turns out...

Also, Thanks for the BDAY wish Shawn---- I had a good one with the family and at church too--- surrounding yourself with good people = priceless.... just like the family here on the .org = priceless
woot.gif

woot.gif

woot.gif
amen to that! yes the almmost same thing happened to me. all that was wrong w/ mine was old battery. replaced battery no more probs.

good luck dude
hello.gif

birthday.gif

woot.gif

woot.gif

Shawn, and anyone else....

Have you found that running an alarm system or such on the bike will necessitate having to run a battery tender on the bike all the time?
rock.gif
I did not realize that it would place such a drain on the battery- anyone shed some light on this further for me?
If you let your bike sit for more than a week or so between rides...or take short rides, the alarm will slowly pull your battery down. I would consider a battery tender a necessity with an alarm
winkold.gif

Thanks 99'Busa and The Big Red One---

I stopped by Wally World on my way home and got a charger/tender and have got it hooked up--- I pray that's all it is and we'll see tomorrow-

I appreciate the input guys and will let ya know the outcome-

I appreciate the Bday shout 99'Busa!
Ya'll be cool and be safe---- somebody turn up the dang thermostat too PLEASE--- I need to ride and keep that battery up instead of having to charge it!!! Chris

100_5130copy.jpg

Mine has been in the mod shop for quite a while now, but I had started at least once a week until about 2 weeks ago. Just way to cold outside and in the mod shop. Went out to check on a couple things and decided to move the mod shop inside. The bike is currently charging.

Nice paint job!

I know what you mean BigBSBusa! Man I try to ride mine to work as much as possible--- MY baby is about 1 1/2 yrs old now and I have a little over 28000 miles on it-- but it's been soooo coolllddd here in MS that I just haven't been able to take the 1 hour and 15 minute commute each way----at 70,75 mph that wind chill is just too much after a while. I didn't know this, but shawn told me earlier in this thread that our bike don't even really charge the battery while running until you go >than 4k on the rpm's.... I have just been cranking mine and letting it run at idle every few days for a few minutes but I guess that hasn't been doing any good at all....so I'll try the charging and hopefully my battery will come back up and that will be all that was wrong---- good info on the needs for charging to those who might be unaware of that...or to those new to the alarm drainage---- I just put on my Scorpio a couple of weeks ago and I think that may have just got the best of my battery little by little... hope so anyway....Chris

Hopefully when you wake up in the morning she will be all charged and anxious for you to take her for a ride!

I just wanted to update you on my problem with the bike dying on me-

I went and bought a charger/trickle charger yesterday and let it charge last night and all today, but come to find out it wasn't the battery. I checked the fuse back under the seat and it was ok too. Then i remembered that we have a block of fuses under the left front inner fairing- so i knew i had to check them... Come to find out the 10 amp/watt "FUEL" fuse had blown....I just am puzzled as to why...
I replaced it and it all came back to life perfectly...
Do ya'll think it was just a freak thing that it blew (after a year and a half) or reckon it might be something wrong that caused it??? reckon i did something wrong with the sync that triggered it?? I will just run it and see...if it happens again i will know somethings up- if not it may have just been time for that particular fuse to give up...don't know.... I did check all the wiring that i knew was fuel related and i didn't see anything broken or loose or damaged, so i'm just gonna press on... just thought i'd see what ya'll thought too...

Anyway, the important thing is we are "full-GO" again...now I just need to pray to the big guy upstairs to turn up the thermostat a little so i can ride--- thanks everybody for your replies and help--- Chris

100_5130copy.jpg

typically, fuses don't just go bad. Your fuse popped for a reason. Look for bare / rubbed wires that may have shorted. sometimes the bunch of wires under the seat catch get pinched. If that's ok,pull an amp load test on the fuel pump elec. feed wires to see if your pump is going south on you.

Glad you got it fixed, but keep an eye on it. Like Mooses said, there is a reason that it blew.

Back