Brake Light Problem..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Out cleaning and checking the bike over this morning and noticed a problem.
Front brake lever no longer actuates the brake light. Rear still lights it up just fine, but the front is no cigar. It used to work and I can hear the switch clicking when I squeeze the lever, just no light.
I figure probably a bad switch, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has had this happen to them and if there's anything else it could also be.
Did a search and everything was back brake light actuation problems, nothing front related
Thanks.. Tom

I'm sorry I don't have an answer HillbillyTom--- I was just checking out your problem to see what was up---I'm just the opposite...My front works but my foot brake won't actuate mine anymore...I can't find any obvious fault either...hope somebody is able to shed some light on it for ya..so here's a bump...

I'm sorry I don't have an answer HillbillyTom--- I was just checking out your problem to see what was up---I'm just the opposite...My front works but my foot brake won't actuate mine anymore...I can't find any obvious fault either...hope somebody is able to shed some light on it for ya..so here's a bump...

There is an adjustment on your back brake light switch. Right there on the top/front part of the master cylinder. It works off of a spring hooked to the brake pedal and you can adjust the tension on the spring with the nut there under the connector plug. When I first got my bike the brake light was always on and a quick adjustment of the rear switch fixed it. You might have a look at it, run the nut down a turn or 2 and see if it goes to working.

I had a similar problem with my front brake light switch. I took it off cleaned it a bit and actually put some dielectric grease in the switch. After the clean it worked great. Good luck

Sorry for resurrecting such an old post but it was the closest I found to my own issue, without starting yet another. Rode to work the last three days this week only to realize (to my shock!) last night that the Front Brake switch was not turning on the brake lights. Tore it apart and in my hand the switch works perfect, but screw it back to the MC and it fails. So I started looking at the price of the switch and I was shocked Suzuki wanted $30+ for one. LSS I took the switch off the bike and blasted it out with Maxima Contact cleaner and Voila, good as new. Suzuki actually left a couple of small holes in the switch body for some reason and the contact cleaner did exactly what its supposed to do! Cheap fix!

When my brake lights weren't working last week, I had a problem on the other end of the bike. My switches worked, but my brake light went out. The weird thing is...it's a Gen II, so it's an integrated LED light. You can't just change out a bulb, you have to swap the whole tail light.I've never had an LED go out, other than wiring issues. (Maybe the LED panel is messed up inside the light.) I took a voltmeter and tested the switches just to be sure and they were fine. New (aftermarket) tail light and it's all good.

Back