Problem please help!!

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok so my bike has been acting a little funny. In any gear between 4000 and 5000 rpm if I am just cruising and give a little more gas very slowly like going up a hill or gradually passing someone it feels kinda like the bike is cutting out, however, if I am just throttling past 4000 and 5000 its not a problem. Also, I tried in nuetral reving the engine slowly to see if I could hear anything. When it gets to 4000 it will just jump to 5000 I can come back down to about 4700 but then it will just drop back to 4000.
I did a little research thought it my need to be synced, I did that and it seemed to help the smoothness but the cutting out is still there.
I am thinking now maybe a clogged fuel filter or dirty injectors only thing is I don't know where the fuel filter is on a 2007 gen 1, and as far a fuel system cleaner what is safe to use with the tank being so small.

Oh and the bike has 41,000 miles on it and its not old gas I have driven it most of the winter the most it has ever sat since I have gotten it in 2007 was about 2 weeks.

Need to remove and have injectors cleaned prolly .
They are not atomizing fuel and may be spitting larger drops than they should or not flowing at all . Either of these will cause it to jump around as fuel delivery will be inconsistent .

Maybe ?

Can use fuel inj cleaner . they are all safe , just have to run it thru 3-4 tanks .
One bottle is usually made for tanks of 20 gallons so you have to just put like 3-4 ounces per tank in a bike and run tanks thru until injector cleaner is gone is all .

O2 sensor has never been replaced (I didn't know it had one, sorry I know off to the corner I go :( ) I'll try that too

Hey Blanca, Thats what I was thinking about doing I just was not sure if they were all safe if any, I'll pick some up on my way home. :thumbsup:

Where is the fuel filter??? I called about it and they told me it doesn't have one, I just figured it was some jack off who didn't know what he was talking about because as far as I know everything that has fuel has to have a filter, right???

I think I used STP inj cleaner and put a bit in three or four tanks .
Mentally it's like new other than that all I can say it felt like it smoothed it out a bit .

On the filter I would agree . Even my friends 67 Beetle has one !

Last edited:
O2 sensor has never been replaced (I didn't know it had one, sorry I know off to the corner I go :( ) I'll try that too

You didn't know it had one for a good reason. There isn't one. That's why you have to let it warm up before it will act right. The fuel trim is set for operating temp. No open loop here. Only 08 or 09 and up bikes have O2 sensors.

You didn't know it had one for a good reason. There isn't one. That's why you have to let it warm up before it will act right. The fuel trim is set for operating temp. No open loop here. Only 08 or 09 and up bikes have O2 sensors.

YAY!!!!:cheerleader: I don't feel bad now:cheerleader: I didn't think I saw one when I changed the exhaust but I wasn't sure its been awhile. Thanks man :bowdown:

some models from k2 on did some didnt , i think the filter is in the tank incorporated within the pump :beerchug:

Wow, ok so I just went to Cheapcycleparts.com the fuel filter assembly is $235.56 ::11:shocked: So for now I am hoping and praying for the injector cleaner to work :please::please::please::please:

Wow, ok so I just went to Cheapcycleparts.com the fuel filter assembly is $235.56 ::11:shocked: So for now I am hoping and praying for the injector cleaner to work :please::please::please::please:

If I'm not mistaken, the filter and pump are all one assembly. You may be able to get a filter from someone else, but that price sounds like a pump assembly. Anyone else have some info on this? Am I right or wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Seafoam is your friend......
FWIW you can get a cheaper pump and filter assembly from guys that have switched theirs when they went turbo. Check out SH.org and psychobike.

Wow, I stand corrected. I had no idea they operated without an 02 sensor unless they were running on carbs?:duh:

Wow, I stand corrected. I had no idea they operated without an 02 sensor unless they were running on carbs?:duh:

Carburated don't either. Just the fuel injected post 07. A carb delivers the same amount of fuel, regardless of engine temp. The choke is used with cold to slightly starve the engine of air, creating a rich condition which helps the engine run in cold temps and warm up. The O2 sensors in fuel injected stuff are mainly for cold operation as well. They tell the ECU how rich or lean the engine is running and adjust the fuel trim accordingly. This translates to more fuel when cold. Now. Since the pre 08 (or 9, I don't remember) don't have O2s you let the bike warm up before riding. Have you ever ridden the bike with the engine cold and noticed you had to give it a lot more throttle to keep it from stalling then you do if it's warm? Well that's why.

Yes I know a carb doesn't have an 02, I just thought most bikes after around 2001 were running on EFI with 02's.

Gen I (99-07) are FI and don't have an O2 sensor.
Gen II (08-10) are FI and do have an O2 sensor.

Either way I don't think that would have anything to do with the bike cutting out / jumping up/down in RPM. Do you have a custom map or PowerCommander? You may have a bad map.

Gen I (99-07) are FI and don't have an O2 sensor.
Gen II (08-10) are FI and do have an O2 sensor.

Either way I don't think that would have anything to do with the bike cutting out / jumping up/down in RPM. Do you have a custom map or PowerCommander? You may have a bad map.

I do have a Power Commander 3 USB, I installed the map for a fully muzzy and k&n filter I thought about trying it without the pc3 to see if thats what was wrong but I didn't think that would be it since the have had the map for awhile but this just started about 2 or 3 months ago.

Definitely try it without the PC3.
If it clears up I'd download the latest map and reinstall the PC3.
If that clears it up then you're golden, if not your PC3 may be bad.

Good luck with rooting out the problem.

Back