Why is it doing this

MIKE R

Registered
My 04 just turned 1600mile and im having fuel or spark problems i think. At low idle it seems to be starving for fuel. Taking of from stops etc.unless your on it.then cruising at85 top gear has a sputter between 4000 5000 rpm.no leaking hoses redid pc3.i tried stp fuel injector cleaner no help checked fuel pump filter screen it was clean.should i change the plugs? Its driving me nuts and seems to be getting worse. Im pretty sure i got some bad fuel the day it started but that was 3 tanks ago fuel injector cleaner didnt seem to work.any ideas what it could be???

I'm not a mechanic but it seems an '04 with 1600mi. has been sitting for a while at some point. I would probably clean the injectors(remove and clean) or have them cleaned. Not pouring injector cleaner into the gas tank but a true service cleaning. Maybe change the fuel filter too. New plugs certainly never hurts. Change them with OEM replacements.

My $.02

04 w/1600 miles? I am with Don... probably some serious varnish issues with old fuel..

a word of caution.. if this is running lean due to plugged injector nozzles, you can hurt a motor pretty easily running it hard.. I would see about getting the injectors out and checking the flow rates.. checking the pump would not be a bad idea either but they are not so sensitive to varnish like the injectors..

make sure the tank and rest of system are spotless going back together..

I would check/change plugs, change fuel filter and run Sea Foam through the system, You can normally smell the varnish smell in the tank and the exhaust when running. Might have a messed up fuel pump as well after sitting with bad gas as long as it seems this bike probably did. The Sea Foam will break alot of that loose though. I have used the stuff on alot of bikes that have sat with great results.

Part of the fuel pump.

I was afraid of that...

wher the heck is fuel pump, been looking in the part finche and can't find it?

Can you replace the filter or is it more complicated than that?

The fuel pump is attached to the gas tank on the bottom. Take the tank off and you will see it. It is not hard to take off at all.

Once you have the tank flipped over and you are looking at pump you will find the fuel filter. I put a second one inline on mine, I bought a high flowing aftermarket one from Walmart.

Whatever you do, drain the tank completely before you do ANY work on it.

--Wag--

Plugs are good cleaned injectors and fuel rail,actualy they were very clean to start,drained it out bought sea foam, seems to be getting better, so if this sea foam stuff works thank for the info. Have run about 2.5 gallons through it.it seems like something is going on the idle is all over the place.also where can i get a fuel filter for less than 200 bucks? Seems a little pricey.

Plugs are good cleaned injectors and fuel rail,actualy they were very clean to start,drained it out bought sea foam, seems to be getting better, so if this sea foam stuff works thank for the info. Have run about 2.5 gallons through it.it seems like something is going on the idle is all over the place.also where can i get a fuel filter for less than 200 bucks? Seems a little pricey.
how did you check that the injectors are clean? this is not a visual inspection in reality.. it is a spray pattern/volume check..

the issue is typically internal.. IF the sea foam made a difference, it sort of backs up the "clogged" injector theory..

Back