Starting Problem

Busajeff28

Registered
NEED HELP!!!! So I have a 2003 BUSA was riding fine the all of a sudden when I got to the light and went to take off the bike just died. I pulled over tried starting it but but nothing all I heard was clicking until the battery died. I got a fully charged battery and when I turn the key lights come on and you can hear the fuel pump turn on but when I push the button to start her up it just clicks or weird noise. The bike just had oil change and everything else done. I had it towed back to the shop they say the starter relay and the start is fine but it could be starter clutch. Any freaking ideas!!!!!!

Are you sure the battery is 100 percent ? the busa needs a good battery The same issues happened to me on my 08 I put a new lithium battery in it and did not have any more starting issues with the bike :thumbsup:
Yeah I bought a brand new one and it won't turn over at all. I just hear the fuel pump come on and I go ro start it and it's like a click from the starter relay and that's it.

If it is a battery problem keep in mind that most if not all batteries off the shelf are not fully charged. And everything will turn on and work with a low battery except the starter. Starters have a much harder job than anything else. Good luck!

But would the starter cut power to the bike? Because it rode good for about 10 mins and as I came to the light stopped as normal but as soon as I went to take off it just cutoff

But would the starter cut power to the bike? Because it rode good for about 10 mins and as I came to the light stopped as normal but as soon as I went to take off it just cutoff
The battery I don't think is the issue. Also would the starter clutch give those symptoms?

The battery I don't think is the issue. Also would the starter clutch give those symptoms?

No, it wouldn’t cause the motor to die. Something electrical caused the motor to die out IMO. There’s no rhyme or reason for electrics to go bad. Ever turn on a lamp and have the bulb blow right out? Ever turn on a lamp with a bulb already burnt out even though it worked the last time you turned It on?

The bike just had oil change and everything else done. I had it towed back to the shop they say the starter relay and the start is fine but it could be starter clutch. Any freaking ideas!!!!!!

What specifically is "everything else." What does the invoice say?

How long have you owned the bike? When was the last maintenance or repair? A little history can be helpful. Did you find it eating batteries last riding season before you put it away?

To the points above, first one can validate the battery power. If that is an issue and one can start the bike then one measures the DC power out of the rectifier and the AC power out of the stator. But it has to run to test the charging system. The dealer mentioned the relay is good. Well if the battery validates one has to trace the power lines and the signal line to relay and starter with measuring equipment. Is this shop good with troubleshooting?

Check both ends of your battery cables. A motorcycle more than a few years old can have corrosion causing a bad connection. I recommend even taking the cable off the starter so you can see both sides. A little scotch brite will help a lot.

Back