Pilot Power vs Pilot Power 2CT

mike1180

Banned
I use Pilot Powers and love them.
I need a new set soon.
Anyone tried both the PP and the PP 2CT's?
Is there any difference, and which is better, and by how much?
Thanks!

I still have a PP on the front but now have about 4,000 on a rear PR2. Will report on it when it wears out. So far, it wears very well in the middle and corners GREAT! Haven't tried a PP2CT. The PR2 looks like the one I'll stick with.

have not tried them myself. BUT have looked at them pretty closely.. the difference is in the sidewall area..

the PP2ct has a softer sidewall zone (much like the Pilot Race) for better grip in the corners (according to maker), the Pilot Road 2CT has the Pilot power sidewall with the harder "road" center strip.

I am thinking I will try the "road 2ct" next

thumb_up.gif

While most of you know, I'm not a fan of michelin's infamouse Pilot Power. From what I understand, the 2ct is a Pilot Power with a very small strip of softer rubber on the outside shoulder of the tire. IMHO, I think the 2ct is a sales gimick. You can run a touring tire out to the edge and drag you knee. Where you really need additional grip is about half way between the center and outer edge of the tread where you really need the traction. This is the area of the tire that demands the most grip as you are applying heavy power as you exit the corner. The 2ct has no more traction in this area than the standard PP. Both leave something to be desired.

IMHO, Pirelli's Corsa III is a much superior tire as it has the same design as the 2ct but has a full one third of the tire capped with soft race rubber on either side. I recently used the Corsa III's on two track days and found them to give much better grip on corner exits over the pp's. It takes considerably more power to spin the Corsa III's on corner exits than that of the PP's. The PP's do a pretty decent job but become a little greasy when they get hot.

I have had 2 sets of 2CT's & 2 sets of regular PP. I prefer the 2CT, it heats up faster & I have never gotten it to break loose or even push in a corner. I have had my regular PP start to push a little in hard corners, but not enough to worry about. I run Michelin slicks on my racebike so I don't know how they perform on the track. When I am on the track I don't want to worry about tires.

I get about 5K out of a rear & 8K in the front on regular PP.

4800 on the last rear 2CT & I have 7500 on my current front that I will change out next week. It is a recall tire so I get a FREEBIE.
beerchug.gif

I ride twisties only & don't commute. I only weigh 172 so that may help me some too.

i just picked up the regular PP's and hoping they last at least 5k. next set will be dual compound.
firedevil.gif

have not tried them myself. BUT have looked at them pretty closely.. the difference is in the sidewall area..

the PP2ct has a softer sidewall zone (much like the Pilot Race) for better grip in the corners (according to maker), the Pilot Road 2CT has the Pilot power sidewall with the harder "road" center strip.

I am thinking I will try the "road 2ct" next
Does the Pilot Road have as deep of a "V" tread profile as the Pilot Power, or is it more rounded?

I just got the 2cts this year and I must say I give them
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
Ive got almost 1300 miles on them and cant really see any wear yet, and thats riding highways, 100+ degree weather, and some agressive riding.

thumb_up.gif

I'm probably going to be the minority, but I can tell you that I've ran ALOT of tires including the 2CT and regular PP.

The only real advantage a HAYABUSA will get with a 2CT is the availability of a 190/55. The Busa is a heavy bike, with alot of torque and has NO problem heating up a standard PP. However, I took my 2CT's out on a HOT SPIRITED (illegal speeds, knee dragging ride) and had the ass end sliding all over after 10 minutes of hard non stop corner riding. It is simply too damn soft on the sides for that kind of abuse and torque when the road is hot. Because the tire is soft, it gets greasy and overheats easily. Overheating is an enemy of street tires. Sure, most people won't run them that hard, but I can tell you that I rode regular PP's just as hard and in all weather conditions and never had it get as greasy as fast.

Cool spring weather, 70 degree days, and easy jaunts etc.... the 2CT is the way to go. but the regular PP simply doesn't hold up as well when pushed - which is the whole marketing hype of the tire. 2CT's don't fare nearly as well on the track as PPs and the same goes for hard street riding. You simply don't need the 2CTs to ride hard on the street.... and contrary to what people think, the mileage isn't even CLOSE to what you can get out of PP's.

They need to make PP's in 190/55 - it would be a GREAT tire for a Busa. Leave the 2CT's for the lighter bikes that simply don't generate the heat in the tires that the big bikes like the Busa and 14 make.

I ran Roads and did not trust them in heavy cornering, just replaced with Road 2CT and these tires are great. They are very good in corners. I got 9800 on my rear Pilot Road.

I ran Roads and did not trust them in heavy cornering, just replaced with Road 2CT and these tires are great. They are very good in corners. I got 9800 on my rear Pilot Road.
yea you corner junkies that live in FL.... all the ones I saw had stop signs...

laugh.gif

While most of you know, I'm not a fan of michelin's infamouse Pilot Power. From what I understand, the 2ct is a Pilot Power with a very small strip of softer rubber on the outside shoulder of the tire. IMHO, I think the 2ct is a sales gimick. You can run a touring tire out to the edge and drag you knee. Where you really need additional grip is about half way between the center and outer edge of the tread where you really need the traction. This is the area of the tire that demands the most grip as you are applying heavy power as you exit the corner. The 2ct has no more traction in this area than the standard PP. Both leave something to be desired.

IMHO, Pirelli's Corsa III is a much superior tire as it has the same design as the 2ct but has a full one third of the tire capped with soft race rubber on either side. I recently used the Corsa III's on two track days and found them to give much better grip on corner exits over the pp's. It takes considerably more power to spin the Corsa III's on corner exits than that of the PP's. The PP's do a pretty decent job but become a little greasy when they get hot.
well maybe scratch the 2ct then... I am totally disappointed in the BT021 (yes the rear is maybe half worn at 4500 miles but it is starting to get greasy and the front tire is toast).. Not sure why others like them so much but I feel like I am on slick roads all the time with them... predictable yes but still greasy..

I really like the Corsa3 but the $300+ a pair has me tee'd off..

How about the BT016? or the other tire I am ready to try is the Dunlop Qualifier.. (yea I know the mileage on them)

I have had the PP and the PP2CT. I would buy either one again but the 2CT would be my first choice.

tufbusa and speed geek are talking about finding and surpassing the tire's abilities, which probably most busa riders don't do and so the PP seems to work fine for many riders.  

HOWEVER, as you get better and better and push things just a little more, do you really want a tire that SEVERAL PEOPLE complain gets greasy and slippery at it's limit?  I don't want to find that action.  My race track buddy tells me the exact same thing about the PP and 2CT... when pushed, they grease out.  He's stopped using them on streets also. All the local squids use the PP so I am assuming they are the cheapest tire.  PP has been very popular since they came out, but I can't figure out why.  Maybe their advertising dept worked overtime?  I dunno, I don't get it.

There are LOTS of good tires out there to try, but remember:  ANY new tire feels WAY BETTER than the beat up, old, worn, flat spotted, multiple heat cycled tires you just took off.  So, don't let that new feel make you think you just got the best tire ever.  

my two cents

Back