Opinions re: tire use

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I know, I know, hundreds of posts about tires....I just have this one silly question.
My red Busa (HayBus) has a new standard Pilot Power on the rear and a 60% worn out Dunlop Qualifier on the front (because of new wheels I just installed).
So here's my question...should I put another regular Pilot Power on the front to match the rear OR put a PP 2ct on the front (remembering that I have a standard PP on the rear). THEN in 2500 miles when the standard rear wears out, I'd go with the rear 2ct.

Thanks for any opinions and Merry Christmas! Doyle

Q2's :) Q2's :) Q2's :) Q2's :)

but seriously.. (yea right)

After seeing how narrow and far up on the tread the 2ct part is on the PP, why bother for the street? without exception, every one I have seen, the second compound area is virtually brand new when the center wears out.. I know you can ride the things but being a "track" guy, I some how think you are probably pretty tame on the street :whistle:

Seems you got to get pretty aggressive on the street to use them.. you plan on running them on the track at all?

I have new 2CTs. I like them a lot. They will do more than I can get out of them, but they feel really comfortable and predictable. Never had regular PP.
I wouldn't leave a worn out Dunlop on the front.

I would go with the 2ct if you are planing a 2ct as a replacement for rear. Never hurts to have the extra insurance.

Q2's :) Q2's :) Q2's :) Q2's :)

but seriously.. (yea right)

After seeing how narrow and far up on the tread the 2ct part is on the PP, why bother for the street? without exception, every one I have seen, the second compound area is virtually brand new when the center wears out.. I know you can ride the things but being a "track" guy, I some how think you are probably pretty tame on the street :whistle:

Seems you got to get pretty aggressive on the street to use them.. you plan on running them on the track at all?

No track use, that's why I did the whole slicks set up (including warmers)....the PP 2cts "stepped out" on me on a very hot trackday once so that was enough to convince me re: slicks. Admitedly, I applied too much throttle creating the situation BUT that's the whole point, since then the slicks probably have compensated for alot of my mistakes and I didn't even know it! ANYWAYS, I think I'd probably be an exception to your observations, my sidewalls go away pretty fast on the Summer Sierras tarmac! I reckon since the 2ct's are only $18 bucks more, I'll just pop for it. After this tire cycle I think I'll try Bridgestones for the heck of it.....tired of not personally knowing how they are, especially in the face of TufBusa's hardcore recommendations! Thanks, Doyle

Back