Pilot Powers vrs. Diablos

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys/gals, OK, I have a question that doesn't include brand loyalty about tires.
Right now on my bike, I have a new PP on the rear and a worn PP on the front. In my garage I have a brand new set of Pirelli Diablos.

Should I.......1) just remove the front, take it down to the shop and
replace the PP?
2) take both PP's off and put the new Diablos on and
save the new rear PP for a future install with a new
front PP?
The far cheaper route is to just pay for install of Diablos, BTW.

What would U DO? Thanks for your opinions! Raydog

hmmmm. I'da traded out the worn out front when I got the NEW rear put on. option 2

Too many options. I say go with all new shoes.

Both brands are deserving...
bowdown.gif

If it was me, I'd install the pirelli's and launch that rear PP as far out in the river as I could so I'd never see that thing again!

Just my 2 cents worth but you couldn't give me a set of PP's!

If it was me, I'd install the pirelli's and launch that rear PP as far out in the river as I could so I'd never see that thing again!

Just my 2 cents worth but you couldn't give me a set of PP's!
Having very good experience with PPs I don't understand this at all. Ray, I'd just change out the front. I get two rears for every front. I'm trying to wear down a Pilot Road on the rear now that I put on for a long tour last summer. So far, its still looking good and has over 8,000 miles on it, mostly freeway miles from CA to CO and back.

cuz PP turn to grease when REALLY pushed. but MOST will never >REALLY< push them, so overall, they seem ok to the masses

Thanks for the discussion you guys, it's sort of a coin toss I guess. Hey WWJD, not to disagree but I've ridden VERY hard for long times in twisties....I weigh 240, and PP's have been flawless for me. (maybe I only think I'm fast). Raydog

Try the new stuff, it's funner. I'm sure you saw my new tire post.

If money is tight and you're not an aggressive twisty rider, then just replace the front.

If money isn't tight or you are aggressive in the twisties, then replace both and keep the rear incase you get a nail.

I am the exact opposite, I wouldn't take a set of Diablos for free. Tried them, got 2400 miles out of the rear & cord exposed. They took longer to heat up than the PP, & just didn't feel as stable in the corners as the Michelins. I run 2CT's & get 4500 out of a rear.

I would buy another PP rear then replace as a set.

buy a set of Bridgestone's ..BT-002 Racing Street provides legendary front end contact feel and cornering performance proven by Bridgestone in MotoGP and cut up the street.. ditch the old tires ..and sell the diablo's .. < just a thought >
beerchug.gif

PP's, and PP 2CT's aren't the same tire, right ?

Put the Diablo's on, so you can tell me what you think of them !!

I figure I'll try all 3.....I have the Qualifiers on now, Then I'll try The corsa III's, and then PP2 ct's.

The only tire I use is the Diaqualpowervon RaceIII everything else is crap! Do you here me?! CRAP!!! UNADULATERED CRAP!!!

cheers
ken

I am the exact opposite, I wouldn't take a set of Diablos for free. Tried them, got 2400 miles out of the rear & cord exposed. They took longer to heat up than the PP, & just didn't feel as stable in the corners as the Michelins. I run 2CT's & get 4500 out of a rear.

You are absolutely correct! If you use your bike as a commuter and concerned about mileage, performance is secondary when choosing a tire.

You are absolutely correct! If you use your bike as a commuter and concerned about mileage, performance is secondary when choosing a tire.
My experience with the Diablo's was great for 1000 miles, they then fell off rapidly by 1800 they were done cord showing... and the last 500 miles I shouldnt have ridden with them, actually got sideways a few times. I never bought another set and wont. I dont commute on the bike but like the longer wear and they are plenty sticky at least 10x better than the stock slipstones that came with the bike.

Doyle I wouldnt mix these tires, especially the way you ride.
coolold.gif
Also if you place the tires side x side you will notice the Pirelli's have a higher center than the pp and they tip in a lil quicker. So if you mount the Diablo's do both and get ready to order a new PP soon.

2cents.gif
2cents.gif
2cents.gif
my six cents

2cents.gif

2cents.gif

Thanks Kent, great info, that's what I'll do(run the Pirelli's then go back to PP's) Doyle

cuz PP turn to grease when REALLY pushed. but MOST will never >REALLY< push them, so overall, they seem ok to the masses
I have wondered how many can/do push their tires to the edge of "that" tires ability.. (judging from the strips and planks I have seen, not many)

Back