PDX GSX1300R

The throttle doesn’t snap closed fully like I would prefer. Go with stock cables or are there aftermarket alternatives?
Lubing the cables might help especially if the bike has been sitting. Also, make sure the fast idle cable, when turned off, is not keeping the throttle bodies open a tad. If it doesn’t turn all the way off there will be a slight amount of interference right at the closed position.

The throttle doesn’t snap closed fully like I would prefer. Go with stock cables or are there aftermarket alternatives?

Have you adjusted the plastic thumb wheels under the rubber cover at the twist throttle?

For the pinlock sheild, yes, buy one, they prevent sheild from fogging up.
Get a transitions/photocramatic sheild(tint automatically and instantly)if you can. I've had Bell and Shoei's and they are excellent.
Ride day and night and never change a sheild again.

Years ago, I flew in to visit my brother-in-law in West Virginia. They had an extra scooter, so we three spent a sublime day in the mountains rotating through three, very different, machines. It was fabulous.

As I recall we had an: HD Nightster, a Ninja 500 and an LTD 454. Having a prejudice against HD's I was prepared to hate it. But, of course, it was awesome. The sound, the torque, the fact that I felt fast dragging pegs. By contrast, the Ninja was a work-out. It had to be kept on full-boil to go. But there was an amazing satisfaction in stringing together a series of corners and not letting the power fall off. The LTD was much torquer, but fell off quickly. The riding position was not to my liking.

I think working for a magazine would be awesome with all those back-to-back riding opportunities.

P7080010_01-M.jpg

Hard to see here, but I would like to remove and, maybe replace, the existing Grim Reaper tank protector. Best technique to heat it with a hair drier and pull on a corner with a plastic tool?

108D16B4-078D-4618-B50B-01312F0F7B68-M.jpg

Hard to see here, but I would like to remove and, maybe replace, the existing Grim Reaper tank protector. Best technique to heat it with a hair drier and pull on a corner with a plastic tool?

View attachment 1645365
Yup use a hair dryer (never a heat gun they get too hot even on a low setting)and just start peeling it up at the corner with your fingers or something plastic of you have too. It should come off pretty easily.

Anything special about tubeless tire repairs on a moto vs auto? I've done the plug kit with the rubber "worm" on autos. Is that a legit temp repair for the scooter? Just carry that and a tire pump? Might be a real pain, but what about stuffing a tube in a tubeless to get home on?

Anything special about tubeless tire repairs on a moto vs auto? I've done the plug kit with the rubber "worm" on autos. Is that a legit temp repair for the scooter? Just carry that and a tire pump? Might be a real pain, but what about stuffing a tube in a tubeless to get home on?
I carry a mushroom plug kit and a micro 12v pump in the tail.
Used it once. Got my monies worth that day.
Wont ever leave home without it

Learn something every day. I've never heard of the mushroom plug. Sounds like a step up from the old rope style.

Congrats on the new ride!! Looks like you got right to work on it.
As for the tire repairs, some won’t ride on a repaired tire, but I usually plug them with a mushroom plug as suggested above and run them until they wear out completely without concerns. I bought one of these from our forum member @pashnit and have repaired enough tires with it that I had to order more plugs.

Stop & Go 1000 Pocket Tire Plugger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006NE3KE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FNHNQB783C4K6TJH9C3P

Learn something every day. I've never heard of the mushroom plug. Sounds like a step up from the old rope style.
Two different types of plugs for two different types of punctures. The mushrooms work best in 95% of punctures, which are usually nails and such. I've likely patched 50+ flats while leading tours with mushrooms. However, in the 2021 ride season, we had some punctures that were cuts and the mushrooms didn't seal the cut (obviously). We had to resort to using worms, and we got that to work. But again, 95% is a pretty high number. It's also worth mentioning that both the tires that had cuts that required worms to patch were on the last 20% of their tire tread life. The moral of the story here is carry both.
Stop-n-Go sells the mushroom kits and has been around forever.

Two different types of plugs for two different types of punctures. The mushrooms work best in 95% of punctures, which are usually nails and such. I've likely patched 50+ flats while leading tours with mushrooms. However, in the 2021 ride season, we had some punctures that were cuts and the mushrooms didn't seal the cut (obviously). We had to resort to using worms, and we got that to work. But again, 95% is a pretty high number. It's also worth mentioning that both the tires that had cuts that required worms to patch were on the last 20% of their tire tread life. The moral of the story here is carry both.
Stop-n-Go sells the mushroom kits and has been around forever.
95% sounds about right. Kit came with 15 plugs and only one of those was wasted on a tire I could not get to stop leaking and had to stick a worm type in it.

Any recommendations on a stock-appearing Gen 1 passenger rear grab bar?

Oh look, Suzuki offered one... Do I need to mod the hump for these?

Do those front, tank-mount, bars work well? This actually looks like a terrific functional solution even if the aesthetics aren't my thing.

D2876583-468F-4490-BF98-22B4736DC930-M.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to move some of the aftermarket electric stuff to a keyed circuit vs direct to the battery. Any suggestions where to tap in?

Back