PDX GSX1300R

So we need a plan...

The goal is: "A bike that is comfortable and fun for sporty back-road trips and occasional highway work." That sounds doable.

Over the winter, perhaps I should start by working on "Stage zero" and performing any "deferred" maintenance / confirming basic mechanical integrity. And stuff.

Any concerns unique to a 1300?

731E35CC-6584-4D7A-9643-3CDBD12EAFDB-M.jpg

Have the suspension sag set for Your weight with gear.
Make sure chain slack is correct(too tight effects suspension).
Grips and levers, as well as lever position can make a big difference in comfort, as well as bar risers, and all are not that expensive.
Stainless steel brake lines if it doesn't already have them(better lever feel).
Seats are a personal preference.
90 degree valve stems make it so much easier to check psi.
Maybe a small tank or tail bag.

Have the suspension sag set for Your weight with gear.
Make sure chain slack is correct(too tight effects suspension).
Grips and levers, as well as lever position can make a big difference in comfort, as well as bar risers, and all are not that expensive.
Stainless steel brake lines if it doesn't already have them(better lever feel).
Seats are a personal preference.
90 degree valve stems make it so much easier to check psi.
Maybe a small tank or tail bag.

Great stuff / much appreciated. 90* = genius...

This looks awesome:

I blame my brother-in-law. A nice guy to be sure, but prone to making outlandish suggestions such as: "Carl, buy a bike and lets go riding." Crazy stuff like that.

At 54, I have gone through the fazes of dirt, street, dual sport, dirt again. Now add "super bike" to that.

It seemed like the reasonable thing to do. Kids out of house. Little bit of cash in the bank. So I bought an '05 with 22k on the clock virtually sight unseen for $6k. Being refined and dignified, we don't call this a "mid-life crises."

Anyway, like all good romances, she has a past: Interesting upgrades and mods to keep the element of "mystery" in the relationship. That's why I never buy new stuff. I prefer the intrigue of potential road side repairs. And stuff.

So greetings from Vancouver, WA. Where it is now 40* and raining. Who wants to ride?

View attachment 1644399
turbo ,makes it a true mid life crisis

Plus one on the counter. Booya!

There must be a 12 step program for this.

Me: "I'll just tidy things up a bit while I'm in here."
Time passes - tooth brush, kerosene, compressed air.
Me: "Hmm. There is still that little bit of grunge I can't quite get to. Maybe I should pull the engine..."
Wife: "That's why Suzuki invented fairings! Come to dinner!"

E7C7B455-21CD-46E9-B2B8-8DD9638180BD-M.jpg

DA872902-7FD3-4EEA-B4DD-67311AA6C9B5-M.jpg

F3268DAA-12EB-4288-97E1-5C8D5B98B372-M.jpg

7074643A-911F-4E9A-9ECA-9BA614EF01DB-M.jpg

33F8549C-A0BE-4CB5-9731-DE20A46796B5-M.jpg

Scored a second-hand seat cowl for $25 on CL. Color is pretty close. While I like the look of carbon, to my eye, the tail of the 'Busa should look like one piece. Not two.

Rain forecast for the next week. Possible snow overnight. Itching to try out the gearing change.

So, at various points in my life, with various people, I have had conversations about "joy." What brings us joy? Obviously a personal thing. It occurred to me the other day, when I walked out into the garage, saw the bike and smiled, that the 1300 brings me joy. So often its the simple things.

When my brother-in-law suggested that we do some rides (he rides a beautiful Indian), I started to do some looking. I made a list of candidates. But it was the 'Busa that I thought about late at night. I think I made the right call.

B3BFB04E-E7D3-4D34-B01F-66B36E013D73-M.jpg

Remember how baby "may" have seen the elements periodically? Well, a few weeks after the purchase, the front brakes got soft, then went to the bar. Nothing like riding home on the rear brake only.

Anyway, I tidied up the seals and flushed the fluid. So far so good. The rebuild kit arrived yesterday.

71B75BD9-A0D3-4648-BC8C-03917A8AA170-M.jpg

6934891F-42D6-4D98-996E-3E90B2A51E63-M.jpg

I tend to prefer my bikes to be, more or less, original. Though I do like mechanical mods. Anyway, this bike came with some add-on's that didn't really do much for me.

There was this, kind of neat, plug-and-play shift indicator. But it blocked part of the tach and I can count, so that went away.

209E0A6A-FFD8-46AE-8C90-7D2ED8F3557A-M.jpg

Then there was the blinking head light thing that eliminated the high-beam. Maybe it wasn't hooked up right, but I didn't like it.

A1F6CF14-0B8E-48A2-A96C-E50A99B1E38D-M.jpg

Rain and cold for the time being. Anxious to try out the gearing change.

I've decided that one of my summer trips will be to Mt Rainier (135 miles). I understand they still have some small glaciers and I'd like to see them.

USGS_TomSisson_2012_web.jpg

The throttle doesn’t snap closed fully like I would prefer. Go with stock cables or are there aftermarket alternatives?

Back