Early Gen 1 Busa's...how well do they age??

Telboy2000

Registered
Toying with buying a 00' model Busa with 22k miles.
I had a 00' model as my 1st Busa then a 03' but they were fairly fresh when I got them and sold them before either was 10yrs old.
What I did find was that fuel pump ( 00' model ),wheel bearings,calipers and such stuff all suffered with age.

So as the bike I'm looking at is cosmetically clean and a 1 owner bike...are there any other things to watch for?

I have an 06 with a little over 50k miles on it. Granted I have had motor work done but aside from that I have had no issues. Ive replaced wheel bearings, front fork seals. Thats about it really. of course things like chains, sprocket etc. I would just look it over carefully. Start it up and let it run and see what it sounds like. Find out what if anything has been done on the motor. That to me is the big thing. So many people do stuff to the motor or tune and have no idea what they are doing and ends up making it worse. If you are lucky and have a virgin motor then you should be good to go. Find out what kind of oil. check it as well. check the radiator fluid. Look at the tires. look under the rear tire and see how clean or dirty the wheel area is. check the hoses. a 2002 needs new hoses at the least. check the brakes. look at the fluid and see if its clear. it should be. ask about the maintenance. My 06 is like a new bike but I am so anal about it that it is not even funny. brake lines. leaks ... A lot depends on how much the asking price is and how much you will need to put in to it to make it right.

200.gif

I have an 06 with a little over 50k miles on it. Granted I have had motor work done but aside from that I have had no issues. Ive replaced wheel bearings, front fork seals. Thats about it really. of course things like chains, sprocket etc. I would just look it over carefully. Start it up and let it run and see what it sounds like. Find out what if anything has been done on the motor. That to me is the big thing. So many people do stuff to the motor or tune and have no idea what they are doing and ends up making it worse. If you are lucky and have a virgin motor then you should be good to go. Find out what kind of oil. check it as well. check the radiator fluid. Look at the tires. look under the rear tire and see how clean or dirty the wheel area is. check the hoses. a 2002 needs new hoses at the least. check the brakes. look at the fluid and see if its clear. it should be. ask about the maintenance. My 06 is like a new bike but I am so anal about it that it is not even funny. brake lines. leaks ... A lot depends on how much the asking price is and how much you will need to put in to it to make it right.

Pics?

(...)
So as the bike I'm looking at is cosmetically clean and a 1 owner bike...are there any other things to watch for?

other possible issues at all gen 1 :

crack in the swing arm´s head where the main axle goes through
needle bearings in the rear shock´s rocker/linkage rusted and by that damaged spacers and bearings.

and only with the '99 slime in the tank due to the sometimes loosening inner coating! sometimes ! not all! from '00 onwards we no longer had to detect this issue / fault.

if you want to keep not only the view/the outer shape in good conds
but also the entire technicals follow this , my , special maintenance sheet
next see Swing arm bearing at approx. 40,000 km

and ! really ALL bearings at ALL hayabusa (and other suzukis) in rims and steering head are damn scrap.

Back