Raising The Rear An Inch Question..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
I'll start by saying I did a search and found a lot of stuff on where to get the +1" links (Ryan @ Schnitz Racing) but nothing about the results.
Already know it'll reduce the rake angle to make the bike turn in quicker, but I also know at the same time it'll shorten the trail making it more unstable and more prone to (possibly severe) headshake.
Question for you all who use the +1" links, how prone to headshake? Will modding the stock damper with 85 weight oil keep me out of trouble?
Thanks, Tom..

the 85 mod will help, but also dial in your front preload to cover for the increased pressure.
To be honest you'll probably not even notice a difference either way.

I raised mine 1" and did notice a little more unstability at very high speeds, 160 MPH + but other than that I have never had any bad headshack or tank slapper. It seems to catch more wind and the rear tire seems skirmy with the back raised at high speed runs but does corner easier IMO.
beerchug.gif

I would love to do this mod as I have been dragging the right fairing some and of course the pegs. I am short and not really flat footed now I m afraid Ill loss my footing and drop it. suks.

Ok, thank you, that was what I was hoping. Roads around these parts aren't condusive to extreme high speeds anyway. Rear up and damper mod are next on the list after I get back from Indy. In the chance I don't like it, it's easy to put back and I'm only out $40 for the experiment.
ThumbsUp.gif

Edit: I'm 6'2" so reaching the ground isn't a problem, havn't been dragging anything yet (little short on bravery with the sport touring tires) but with  stickier rubber going on next and the talk of a race track being built about 40 miles from my house (
please.gif
), things could soon be radically different.

Haven't done the damper mod, but "have" raised the back end 1"...it's AWESOME !!!!
super.gif

I haven't noticed any high speed stability problems at all. The only negative has been my wife tending to slide forward a little. The handling and clearance advantages outweigh any negatives easily.

Yes it does increase your roll rate significantly but I have seen no ill effects to the high speed handling whatsoever.

Practically everyone I have read about doing this mod approached it with the same basic attitude (cheap to try and if I don't like it, its a quick fix) and I have read very few who went back to stock after. Lastly there are undoubtedly a bunch of folks here who would take em off your hands in a hurry if you didn't dig em so you have very little to risk financially.
thumb_up.gif

Lamb loves this mod. If you weigh more than 200 pounds you will also want to change the main springs in the front forks .10 higher. Lamb has .95 ratio in his. Turn in is much improved. Great mod!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I weigh between 180-185 and have .95 springs in the front so I should be set. I'll put 'em in after I get back from the super slab trip, will be an interesting mod to play with.
Thanks again everyone for all the info.
ThumbsUp.gif

+1's here and love 'em. bike feels 100lbs lighter. i also have the damper mod with 40w and love that too. haven't had her past 140 yet with these mods. 140 felt rock solid.

Sounds like you have already answered most of your questions?

Ride height issues are usually a give and take balancing act. You can't gain in one area without giving something up in another.

Your instability issues will depend solely on how hard you ride it. Trial and error approach is a good thing. Like you said, if you don't like it, not a big issue to go back to ground zero.

My ability to "corner with the big boys" is largely attribuitable to the +1" links. Of course many other factors come into play but it is a necessary mod to extract maximum handling performance from a Busa. It should be noted that I would lower my bike if either going to the drags OR top speed runs! Doyle

MF1A1383.JPG

+1 on the +1 mod!!

Makes the bike handle like a dream!

--Wag--

Back