Other than Hayabusa bike projects

jcornwell101

Registered
I am just curious how many of you are as guilty as I am for having different projects.

I have a 95 Honda VFR 750 that I have owned since 2008 that I want to restore. I rode this bike for a solid 10 years, then work, life, kids, divorce happened and it sat.
Then I rode a 2015 Triumph Rocket X for awhile and traded it in for a 2017 Hayabusa.

The VFR is dear to me because with a fairing stay, a couple tapped holes in the front, and flipping around the fairing brackets I can easily put on CBR600 front fairings on it. Then I need to figure out what I want to do with the tail section, I may just purchase a used one off ebay as a single piece.

I want to build something like this...
Rcbvfr Frankenviffer Texas Style

I just have to rebuild the carbs, flush fluids, replace fuel filter, and replace the throttle cable.

Something about the V4 motor and gear driven cam sound I cant get rid of this bike.

I do have mods though like
LSL Super bike handle bar kit with steel braided brake lines
Galfer HH pads
Arashi wave rotors(fronts needed to be replaced due to vibration while braking|
New steering head bearings
Hyper pro front springs installed with new fork seals with 15wt oil
CBR 929 rear shock with hyperpro spring
corbin seat
2000 R1 voltage rectifier to fix the common issue with VFRS

I do, and usually a couple.
I am doing a full rebuild on my '03 Gsxr1k now.
Much the same as yours with new brakes, bearings, ABM top clamp, etc.
I have a current build thread on it here.
You need to post pics, guaranteed quite a few of us are interested in watching you bring it back to life.
I've never heard of CBR fairings on a VFR either, which sounds like a pretty cool mod.

Yeah I just have to fix my learning experience with my Hayabusa first with retightening steering head bearings. I also have to take the forks back apart because the nut moved and my rebound adjusters are stuck after putting in the hp springs.

I've played with a few cars, but never really modded a bike. I go to "The One" show every year and just drool. Amazing skills.

If I could build a bike...

Hmm. I very much admire Six Packs Gixxer. It would have to be something old school AND something with parts available. I envision light and simple. Perhaps even a Ducati. Maybe I should clean the garage first...

IMG_7469-M.jpg

IMG_7467-M.jpg
IMG_7463-M.jpg

I've played with a few cars, but never really modded a bike. I go to "The One" show every year and just drool. Amazing skills.

If I could build a bike...

Hmm. I very much admire Six Packs Gixxer. It would have to be something old school AND something with parts available. I envision light and simple. Perhaps even a Ducati. Maybe I should clean the garage first...

View attachment 1675776

View attachment 1675777

View attachment 1675778

Thanks man
I appreciate that.
Ducati parts are a little higher than Japanese, and some of their older models can get pretty pricey.
I won't knock them, but your mod money and dependability would go much further on a Japanese bike...and be more simple, but, if you have one in mind that you like, go for it.
I am also pretty biased that putting dirt-bike bars, drop pegs, and a comfortable seat on a 1000cc, is the way to go...at least for middle-aged guys that still want 1k power, but more upright comfort.
Most any 1k's reach to the bars is much shorter than the Busas's too.
Clean the garage, look for something used to test sit or test ride.
Wheels, brakes, and suspension work wonders on these old bikes, and even though they are slower than today's bikes, the old 1k's are still capable of sub 10 second quarter miles...
Nothing's cheap, but all things considered, you can put together something older, and it be really nice, without costing a fortune(ok that last part may be a stretch, lol)
Do it!

Thanks man
I appreciate that.
Ducati parts are a little higher than Japanese, and some of their older models can get pretty pricey.
I won't knock them, but your mod money and dependability would go much further on a Japanese bike...and be more simple, but, if you have one in mind that you like, go for it.
I am also pretty biased that putting dirt-bike bars, drop pegs, and a comfortable seat on a 1000cc, is the way to go...at least for middle-aged guys that still want 1k power, but more upright comfort.
Wheels, brakes, and suspension work wonders on these old bikes, and even though they are slower than today's bikes, the old 1k's are still capable of sub 10 second quarter miles...
Nothing's cheap, but all things considered, you can put together something older, and it be really nice, without costing a fortune(ok that last part may be a stretch, lol)
Do it!

:-)

I do love to tinker. The 'Busa journey has been pretty typical for me. Start with an interest, buy the machine, then jump into the unknown. Even if I don't get to ride or wrench that day, there is a whole world of experience out there to read about and learn from.

But maybe I should change that up a bit. Find an interest, then put in the time researching the years and models so I know what I'm looking at when I buy.

:-)

I do love to tinker. The 'Busa journey has been pretty typical for me. Start with an interest, buy the machine, then jump into the unknown. Even if I don't get to ride or wrench that day, there is a whole world of experience out there to read about and learn from.

But maybe I should change that up a bit. Find an interest, then put in the time researching the years and models so I know what I'm looking at when I buy.

Any particular bikes in mind?
A Suzuki TL1000, or SV1000 v-twins are fun, and have a very different feel to them.
Having a different kind of engine in a 2nd bike can keep both of them fun as well, so you still want to get on the Busa too.

Makes sense. Though not super fast, one of my favorite bikes was my Superhawk 996. That "big" twin was lovely. (Perhaps an RC51 build..?)

Never had a Harley. That would be different and have a ton of stuff available.

Gotta pay off the house. Maybe in a year or two. For now I can tinker with the 325 and the 1300.

Fri%20035-M.jpg

Makes sense. Though not super fast, one of my favorite bikes was my Superhawk 996. That "big" twin was lovely. (Perhaps an RC51 build..?)

Never had a Harley. That would be different and have a ton of stuff available.

Gotta pay off the house. Maybe in a year or two. For now I can tinker with the 325 and the 1300.

View attachment 1675782
An RC51 build would be pretty cool....they were a stellar bike-too bad Honda gave up on them..

The TL1000S/R were ok but were obsolete almost when they came out and had a real handling issue.

I think the TL's funky handling made them fun, lol
The RC51's were cool too...and personally had one of Honda's Worst seats(vinyl covered board).
There are a lot of wrecked TLs because of that crazy handling quirk...

One of my friends had a really nice yellow TL/R that was set up with an Akro exhaust, Brembos and Ohlins....he decided to sell it on a whim and the guy he sold it to had it exactly 2 days and wrecked it.....it was a real sin to see it all smashed up at the local bike shop...it was written off.

The sad part of that story was I and a couple others told him not to sell it to the guy he did because we knew the guy was reckless...

Thanks man
I appreciate that.

I hear you on the middle aged guys comment, all of the stuff I did in the Army is catching up to me. Luckily the Busa with saddleman seat fits me well even 2 up with my son.

Back