Today's project...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
My Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Inlay frame sliders came in last week. I kept putting the install off because I was really nervous about flubbing up on the holes to the point that I'd want new fairings. Well, today I worked up the balls to take a holesaw to my baby. GULP! :eek:

To get a starting point I put grease on the engine bolt head as I've seen suggested here. Then I started the holes from the backside of the fairing. I just ran the drill bit through the fairing from that side. Then I turned the fairing over, laid masking tape on the area of the pilot hole to protect the paint surrounding the hole and started cutting. I went slow to avoid causing too much heat and blistering the paint.

After cutting the initial hole with the hole saw I slightly enlarged the entire hole with a Dremel tool and sanding drum bit so that the fairing would slide over the slider. I installed the sliders, torquing all bolts to factory specs and done a trial fitting of the fairing. Both holes had to be worked more with the Dremel to fit right.

After both holes were roughed out and the fairings fit I reinstalled the fairings and put on the slider end caps. The holes are not perfect but not to the point that I want to replace them. I am going to get a piece of PVC pipe just smaller than the hole and some 400 grit sand paper and smooth the holes out a little more. After that I'll be happy with the job.

Here's the first pic. The aftermath...  :drool:

lpcarbonslider_01.jpg

Left side slider installed... I drilled right in the center of where the grease was on the fairing but it was off a little. You can see a little wider gap on the lower back side in the pics but it doesn't look too bad looking at the bike in person. Once I get the PVC/sand paper and smooth and even the holes out a little more it won't look bad at all. Not perfect, but good enough... :cool:

lpcarbonslider_02.jpg

doesn't look bad at all to me.....nice looking sliders too....one thought and I am NO expert here. But I have noticed on a couple of crash pics tha the sliders may collapse to some extent..there buy protecting the frame. A slightly larger hole in the fairing may allow for this and save the fairing from cracking IF you laid her down.

the experts would know for sure....

Just a note... If I had it to do over again I'd make a tool to locate the hole centers. There's gotta be a better way than using the grease. It was close but I think I could have made a tool that would have got me closer with the hole saw. I'm thinking something that would reference and pivot from the fairing bolt hole would be the way to go. If I ever replace my fairings I'll definitely make a tool for this job. ;)

Yeah, I'm going to work the holes slightly larger than they are now when I get the right size PVC pipe and some sand paper for that very reason. Just didn't want to keep hogging it out with the Dremel. It doesn't leave it too rough but it's not as smooth as I want it finished either. I'm kinda picky when it comes to stuff like that. ;)

Excellent work BT.
Suggestion for a locating tool. Take a bolt with the same thread as the slider bolt. Cut off the head and chuck the threaded portion in a drill press. With the drill press on, file the end to a sharp point. Then you could thread this back into the slider bolt hole and press the fairing up against it to leave a center punch mark. This will enable yo to start the drill as accurately as possible.

Ok, just for you, Monsta.  :cool: Not the best pic but it's the whole thing with the slider. Can't get to the other side but rest assured that I'll be making some better shots when it's daylight outside.  :D

lpcarbonslider_04.jpg

Excellent work BT.
Suggestion for a locating tool.  Take a bolt with the same thread as the slider bolt.  Cut off the head and chuck the threaded portion in a drill press.  With the drill press on, file the end to a sharp point.  Then you could thread this back into the slider bolt hole and press the fairing up against it to leave a center punch mark.  This will enable yo to start the drill as accurately as possible.
Thanks Mikey. Also, your idea for a locator sounds good! If I run across some virgin fairings before I paint my bike I might try again and use some sort of tool to locate the holes better to begin with. It's not bad as it is, but it could be better. ;)

Oh, I'm also going to spiff the sliders up a bit. I'm going to re-clearcoat them with some high gloss urethane automotive clear to make them a little cleaner looking. I'm also going to either polish the end caps or get another set and have them chromed. Gotta have it just the way I want it... and a little different from the crowd.  :super:

Nice, BT, but IMHO they stick out to far!
post-6-03841-lpcarbonslider_03.jpg

They would more than likely catch on something in a slide. I'm not into that. :super:

Can they be tailored down?

Ummm, they're supposed to stick out, dude. They catch on the ground to save your plastics and stuff in the event of a drop. Any shorter and they'd be useless for anything but looks. :super:

No template. The holes are ok, but not good enough for someone to copy. I know I could do better if I had it to do again. ;)

What i have done in the past for such jobs is to use a peice of threaded rod or a bolt ground to a point on one end.Thread it into hole to be mated to(cut to aprox length.Put tape on the inside of the fairing overlaying the general area to be drilled.Put fairing back in place and gently push on the area,it will leave a nice little depression.That will be the exact center of the hole to be drilled. ;)

Yeah, if I ever do another set of sliders I will definitely make a tool like that and use it. I think the way the fairing is made, when you use the grease and push the fairing in, you're not very accurate due to the fairing fastener being so close. It doesn't just push straight in, it kinda pivots on that fastener giving you some error. The bolt with a point sounds perfect as long as it protruded far enough out to avoid having to push the fairing in too far. Should eliminate the error and be very accurate. Thanks to all for that tip. :cool:

Excellent work BT.
Suggestion for a locating tool.  Take a bolt with the same thread as the slider bolt.  Cut off the head and chuck the threaded portion in a drill press.  With the drill press on, file the end to a sharp point.  Then you could thread this back into the slider bolt hole and press the fairing up against it to leave a center punch mark.  This will enable yo to start the drill as accurately as possible.
Mikey that is hilarious.......when I read Bullet's first post I had the exact same idea, but thought....no....prolly wouldn't work that great anyway..........
I swear it's the truth....too funny. :tounge:

Nice Bullet, Bullet lookin good dude.....yer first big buck mod....I feel sorry for ya.....now the spending begins. :beerchug: :beerchug:
Looking forward to seeing what comes of the most sano, or should I say Zaino bike on the board.
When ya get yer next paycheck, spend the entire thing on Busa parts.........wouldn't that be fun. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Back