one of Rubb's dogs might need surgery

Sorry to hear this Rubb, prayers sent!
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

Hey Rubb. How are things going bro? Your Rott feelin any better?
He seems OK. I'm going for a second... and third and fourth opinion if I have to.
Just trying to gain more knowledge. x-rays,tests etc. Going to research the heck outa this before I let anyone cut him open.I got 2 vets opinions so far.They both have way different diagnoses. One is leaning towards a heart problem. I hate this deal.

Thanks for looking in man.

Rubb.

Hey Rubb. How are things going bro? Your Rott feelin any better?
He seems OK. I'm going for a second... and third and fourth opinion if I have to.
Just trying to gain more knowledge. x-rays,tests etc. Going to research the heck outa this before I let anyone cut him open.I got 2 vets opinions so far.They both have way different diagnoses. One is leaning towards a heart problem. I hate this deal.

Thanks for looking in man.

Rubb.
First, if he's bloating, he'd be dead within hours without intervention. Bloat is not something that just goes on for days. You only have HOURS if you're lucky.

If this is something that's been going on for a while, I'd question the vet's diagnosis of bloat. When a dog's stomach twists, it cuts off blood supply to the back of the dog. It's very painful, leads to excessive panting and drooling, distended stomach, dog can't get comfortable no matter what they or you do...having the blood supply cut like that leads to death quickly...

Now, if you ever do deal with bloat, here's my ordeal with two Danes that suffered from it...

Scooby bloated when he was 4...visit to the emergency vet helped stop his stomach from completely twisting (took 2 or 3 x-rays to see the full extent of what was going on due to his size), and upon recommendation of that ER vet, I had my local vet tack Scooby's stomach to his rib...it wasn't cheap ($500), but it was worth not having to worry about him bloating again...he was with us 6+ years after that surgery, so I'd say it was successful. We put him down in late August because he was telling us it was just his time
sad.gif

Maggie bloated at the ripe age of nearly 11. It was just too late in life for her to go through all that we did to save Scooby, so we put her down over watching her suffer...

If I ever get another Dane, I may opt to have the stomach tacked to a rib to avoid bloat altogether. It's a sad way to watch a pet go, and very costly if/when it happens...deep chested dogs are always at risk, so just weigh your options and do what you feel is best
smile.gif

Rub, I'd lean toward the heart problem...any remote chance of heart worms?
sad.gif

Theres no way it could be bloat when bloat hapens you have about an hour to get the dog in for emergency surgery. And even then there is no guarantee that the dog will survive, it all depends how long the stomach was twisted and how much blood circulation was cut off. I know first hand I have been a K-9 handler for the past 11 years and my shepherd bloated and I was very lucky to catch it in time. Dogs can have their stomach tacked so it does not twist or move inside, this was done to Ben my shepherd. He is 11 now and very healthy. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
please.gif

I agree, probably not bloat.

What were the symptoms Rubb?
Pretty much like bloat.He was in pain, lots of panting and drooling, distended stomach,increased heart rate,etc. I checked his gums which were all white. When I pressed my finger against the gum in spots where it wasn't white,it took a long time for the go go back.(circulation problem).He had all the symptoms of bloat,and not much else,so I guess thats how they came up with that diagnosis at the emergency clinic.Now our own personal vet is leaning towards a heart problem,which sort of makes more sense. Some of you will remember my Alaskan Malamute/Wolf cross named Kodiac. He had similar symptoms,by the time we got him to the emergency vet,his aorta had already split.
sad.gif

Right now we are monitoring closely,doing preventitive for everything from bloat to heart worm to you name it. I will have him X-ray'd as soon as the symptoms return.I'm not ready to have him opened up yet.

The longest the 3 dogs will be left alone from now on is about 3 hours.I have a hired professional dog walker who works at a vet and who has K-9 first aid certification.

I feed the dogs one cup of food early morning,then I get ready for work.Then I examine them all.When I leave, I kennel them.[The kennel is outside but keeps them calm.There is no room to run around.The kennel has a concrete floor with rubber mats to sit and sleep on,and each dog has his/her own dog house within the kennel.Each house has bedding to stay warm.The chain link walls have tarping to cut the wind and rain.The kennel has a roof so they stay dry.] A couple hours later the dog walker gets here and takes them out for 1-3 hours exersize.I am usually home when they get brought back.If I have any errands to do,I wait till the House Mouse gets home,late afternoon. Its the best I can do right now,with what I have finacially.

I have been back at work for about 8 months. My employer should start to actually pay me soon,this month or next. (long story,no pay check for 2 and a half years.) As soon as we are back on our feet,I will do more.

The dog walker is awesome. Normally charges 25 bucks an hour for one dog.She is pretty good to me thou.I think she loves the dogs.Takes them out for hours and hours to all different lakes,rivers,trailsmountains.Takes all 3 and charges me for one hour,for one dog.

25 bucks a day. I wouldn't give a fug if it was 50 or a hundred a day. I would still pay it.
smile.gif

Thanks for all your concern and great advice.I will keep you posted.

Rubb.

This past summer my friends dog was diagnosed with heart warms. She healed right up with the right care. She had to be hospitalized the 1st couple of days while under medication. It was sad but she made it. Never count on that topical stuff they say also prevents heart worms . IT DON'T WORK. My friend had her dog on it and it didn't work. Heart worm pills for my guy and girl only.

Back