Noticing a trend locally

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
While captain seems to be seeing far more fatalities due to no helmet, here in VA where helmets are mandatory, the trend is definitely showing something different...

This is the 4th or 5th motorcycle fatality reported within an hour or so of where I live in recent months...what I notice above everything else is that we've lost a lot of 23-25 year olds this year, all on sport bikes...

Motorcyclist killed in crash was stationed at Langley

State police say the motorcyclist who died in an accident Tuesday on the James River Bridge was a Minnesota man stationed at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton.

Michael Starren, a 23-year-old from Williams, Minn., was an active-duty senior airman at Langley. He died when his motorcycle collided with cars that were stopped on the bridge around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Traffic had stopped when a van ran out of gas and a second van ran into the disabled vehicle from behind, shutting down all southbound traffic from Newport News to Isle of Wight County. According to the police report, Starren was attempting to speed through the stopped traffic by riding along the center line when he lost control of his motorcycle and struck two pickup trucks and car.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

sad.gif

wreck2.jpg

An accident earlier this month:

Speeding motorcyclist hits highway wall, dies

CHESAPEAKE - A Portsmouth man died on Wednesday when his motorcycle veered into a concrete embankment on Interstate 464 in Chesapeake on Wednesday.

Charles Lamont Rush, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency medical personnel shortly after noon on Wednesday

Senior trooper Antonio Passaro Jr. of the state police said witnesses described Rush riding northbound at "an extremely excessive rate of speed." They told police that he veered from the left lane into the Jersey wall, then skidded along the concrete barrier until the wall ended and his bike hit the metal guardrail.

When he hit the guardrail, Passaro said, Rush and the motorcycle were both thrown into the highway's median.

Active USAF, crap... His unit's riders are gonna get sh!t on and the unit motorcycle monitor will get an earful.

I'm surrounded by Langley AFB, Yorktown Naval Weapons Station, Fort Eustis, not far from Norfolk Naval Base...tons of military men and women here, and I know a large % of 'em ride...I was digging through the local paper database for more info on just how many young riders we've lost around here this year, and I do believe quite a few of 'em were military
sad.gif

Seems their search engine won't go back past the middle of October...just seems that every time I see yet another fatality on a bike, it's someone that's in their early 20's, sport biker...not to say there aren't stats for older riders on Harleys, but I'm telling you, they're not reporting 'em like they do the sport bikers...

I seen only a couple all year long in my area go down. The helmet law's help out a ton. But some of the people I have seen lately don't have the attention span to drive a car let alone a sport bike. It's a great hobby and a way of life but it's only meant for some.

Active USAF, crap... His unit's riders are gonna get sh!t on and the unit motorcycle monitor will get an earful.
You got that right... there will be some mandatory motorcycle training at minimum. Wont be long before they hit all us Air Force people with some more crazy rules... I am my squadrons motorcycle safety monitor and lucky for me ( knock on wood ) i havent had to deal with any fatalities. Had a young guy wreck his 1K last year and break his neck though... that was fun to deal with.

How can they honestly hold the higher-ups accountable for all that a motorcyclist faces should they go down? Are they looking to lay blame on anyone, doesn't matter who? That's screwed up
sad.gif

My sis is a Dr. she tells me that I ride a donorcyle or a murdercycle.
The point that I can't strees enough, if you follow the speed limit, and have "an out" what is the problem.
I grab way to much throtle, but I am on my own at that point, not in traffic. I feel bad fo rany fallen rider.
I'm 30 and have had a few reality checks.

From a solider perspective, well I would not know, but in their eyes thing are different. Right or wrong it is a unpleasnt time.

VA, another one hits home for both of us... I'm in newport news and let me tell you that I have seen more crashes/fatalities here in the 6 months I have been here, than I ever have. It is incredible. I was however talking with some of the guys at my local shop today where we were talking about the James River Bridge crash and it was said the rider was traveling EXTREMELY fast while lane splitting... Why would people do stuff like this? His bike was said to have burst into flames at some point but I do not know if there is solid truth behind that.

all the protective gear in the world will not help if you hit a non-moving item at triple digit speeds. I see a common thread in the articles you posted....

I don't think you see too many about Harley people because they do not die in higher numbers (stats anyone? am I wrong?) and it doesn't make as a good a story as a high speed run gone bad.

Prayers to the families...

I agree ... prayers to all the families. Is there anything we can do, as a group, to help promote safety?

WE've had way too many crashes around here this year too. Fortunately, no fatalities that I know of this year, but alot of life flights. Last year two that I know went down for good. RIP fallen riders.

State police say the motorcyclist who died in an accident Tuesday on the James River Bridge was a Minnesota man stationed at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton.

Michael Starren, a 23-year-old from Williams, Minn., was an active-duty senior airman at Langley. He died when his motorcycle collided with cars that were stopped on the bridge around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Traffic had stopped when a van ran out of gas and a second van ran into the disabled vehicle from behind, shutting down all southbound traffic from Newport News to Isle of Wight County. According to the police report, Starren was attempting to speed through the stopped traffic by riding along the center line when he lost control of his motorcycle and struck two pickup trucks and car.

He is a rider originally from the Seattle area and a member of PNWRiders.com. He was a GREAT guy. There is alot of discussion surrounding his accident on that forum. It's really a shame.

Prayers, condolences and all that....

Let us all remember to be safe and tell our loved ones we love them every time we get ready to go for a ride. God forbid, it could be the last time we see them. I make it a point to hug my wife, kiss her, and tell her I love her. It also helps me remember to keep myself in check so I make it home safely!

yes the accidents are terrible, the deaths are worse,

If you stand back and look the "whys" and "Hows" of almost everyone of these leads right back to a rider doing something that by most standards is just outright dangerous and the margin for error near 0..

No one buys a bike like these and never rides fast, but discretion and maturity are about your only hope for survival (and some luck). Sure makes me think about my "journey's" into triple digits...

Ride fast and hard and die the same way... hope it slows at least one guy down...

VA, another one hits home for both of us... I'm in newport news and let me tell you that I have seen more crashes/fatalities here in the 6 months I have been here, than I ever have. It is incredible. I was however talking with some of the guys at my local shop today where we were talking about the James River Bridge crash and it was said the rider was traveling EXTREMELY fast while lane splitting... Why would people do stuff like this? His bike was said to have burst into flames at some point but I do not know if there is solid truth behind that.
I was trying to find more articles from the Daily Press because I know I've read at least 5 in recent months in your area, all very young, sport bikes...it's just sad
sad.gif

You've been in that area before...you really can't go but so fast in that kind of traffic, bike or not...I'm sure the perception of so many cagers is always "he/she was running extremely fast" but I do wonder if that's true at all...

He is a rider originally from the Seattle area and a member of PNWRiders.com. He was a GREAT guy. There is alot of discussion surrounding his accident on that forum. It's really a shame.

Prayers, condolences and all that....

Let us all remember to be safe and tell our loved ones we love them every time we get ready to go for a ride. God forbid, it could be the last time we see them. I make it a point to hug my wife, kiss her, and tell her I love her. It also helps me remember to keep myself in check so I make it home safely!
Small world...

Damn shame to read about these guys losing their lives
sad.gif
Thoughts are with his friends and family.

Mike will be missed. R.I.P brother!

Please don't make the same mistake Mike did. Slow down for stopped traffic. In states that allow lane splitting you should NEVER exceed 10MPH faster than backed up traffic. 10MPH may seem really slow, until you have to stop for that cager that tries to change lanes without checking their blind spots.

Mirroring a PM I just sent you Doug...

Sad, but today after reading this seemingly "random" accident near me has left our PNW riders in shock. This particular rider was well loved and an active member on PNWriders.com. After reading about him from those that knew him best, then reading my local paper and comments left by locals thinking this guy what he deserved, I leave all riders with this - we all made mistakes; no one should ever die for 'em, but unfortunately sometimes they do. Having so little respect for the loss of another fellow human is sick and sad, no matter what the circumstances...

To any PNWriders.com members that see this thread, my apologies for posting up that first photo from the scene. I honestly didn't realize exactly what was in there and I too believe it's disrespectful to leave on public display photos of someone that just lost their life. I hope the paper pulls the image as well, out of respect for all that loved and knew him, and out of respect for someone serving our Country.

Thank you Michelle. You're a class act all the way! I don't care what they say about you.

Many of us from PNWRiders feel that we don't want the last memories of us to be laying, lifeless on the ground covered like that. We want people to remember us for what we did right, and the fun we brought to the community of brothers and sisters that enjoy something we love with a passion.

For me personally, not riding is NOT an option. It's the only spiritual peace I have been able to find in my life. I get severely depressed when I can't ride for a while. It is the one thing that brings relaxation to me. I will do it until I no longer can.

And yes, we're human. We all make mistakes. Hopefully we get the chance to learn from them.

beerchug.gif

Back