Dallas Motorcycle accidents

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
I was in Dallas this week on business and listened to the local traffic report on Monday morning and there was a tie up on I-35 due to a motorcyclist going down. Then I listen to the local traffic on Tuesday morning and there is another traffic tie up on I-35 due to a motorcyclist going down. Along comes Wednesday morning and I put the TV on the local traffic report and another tie up on I-35 beacause another motorcycle had gone down! Is that like that all the time in Dallas???

That is very bad. What makes tht stretch prone to so many accidents?

it happens everyday here im not kidding i listen to the am radio most of the day at work and hear about a bike crash every single day lots of new riders out there i think with gas being what it is

No it is not all the time in Dallas that kind of stuff happens every were. Thing is Motorcycles are coming out by record numbers due to Gas prices and the more there are on the road the more accidents people will see. What really kills me is all these first time riders getting bikes that are way more powerful for their riding ablities and that does not help matter point in case we had a guy in my dealership last Saturday never rode before in his life but bought a brand new GSXR-1000. I was like Dude please go buy yourself some good gear and please ride safe and then I started to
please.gif
for him

We are seeing old bikes being pulled out of the sheds here. Some are not road worthy at all. Most of the riders have very little experience. Only enough they think they do not need any training. Talked to one I know Tuesday that is buying a new scooter. 6k and he is only buying it to save money on gas going to work. He works 6 miles from home. Burgman 400 is getting 50mpg. His car gets 18. 250 days , 30 vacation, 10 holiday, maybe 5 sick days. So 205 days. weather should stop him from riding at least 30 days around here. So 175 days. Figuring $5.00 a gallon. A year's fuel will be $583 for the car, $210 for the scooter. "saving"￾ $373! He is not getting rid of a car, has to buy gear, take a training class, buy insurance, pay for and maintain the scooter.

I've seen some of these guys spend $500-1000 getting an only POS running for the same reason.

I rode to work every day this week and have saved about 45 bucks in gas. I'm figuring that at the end of the week I will have about 50.00 a week in savings and that adds up.... I typically dont ride to work because of dress attire but lately I have been wearing jeans and my Exec VP absolutely understands... I honestly dont know how some folks are making it driving cars and commuting 30 miles.

i hear ya CAP, its tuff and only gonna get tougher i think, which will make more motorcyclists pop up outa the wood work so to speak, they have all the nice new highway signs, warning cage drivers to be aware of motorcyclists running here in Mo. amen to that...

some years ago my shop was right next door to the "impound" lot in Scottsdale.. All crash vehicles are taken there prior to being released to owners/shops etc... almost without fail, the crashed motorcycles had extremely thin rear tires (as in no tread at all) it was unusual to see a bike with good rubber there for some reason..

Just a reflection of the type of rider that crashes or a contributing factor? no idea but it was an odd coincidence..

I commute 35 miles each way into Richardson ( Near Dallas). I also drive a MiniCooper. The car gets maybe 26 mpg while I get 40 on the bike. It isn't a lot of savings but at this point, I will take what I can get. Over time, the savings really adds up. Maybe not in 6 mos or a year, but overall it does. Besides that, I LIKE TO RIDE! It saves me 15 minutes each way on the commute too.

I rode to work every day this week and have saved about 45 bucks in gas. I'm figuring that at the end of the week I will have about 50.00 a week in savings and that adds up.... I typically dont ride to work because of dress attire but lately I have been wearing jeans and my Exec VP absolutely understands... I honestly dont know how some folks are making it driving cars and commuting 30 miles.
No doubt.... thinking about starting to ride mine a few days. The wife already is riding hers.

Still don't understand those going out to buy motorcycles to do it.

Kind of like my truck. If I still justify needing it to pull my trailer to the races, Eureka etc, I have to replace it with another that will do the same. I drive about 30 k a year. A new/newer one should get about 17 that will still pull my trailer. I'll save 2000-2500 a year.

But, this one is paid for. It would cost me 20-30K. I can buy a lot of fuel for that. However, fuel economy will be a consideration on the next one. Maybe a smaller trailer would be a good idea as well.

I have been hoping to ride one of the bikes at least to the train station, but the weather sucks. I now keep a Rutkus on the oher end of the rain station. I just filled up the Rutkus after a week of riding in the city $1.81. It gets about 90mph and can do 40mph. Rain or shine on the scooter now give me some good weather for the Busa please.

I ride the busa everyday to work, and I dont go joy riding anymore. I get to go out about once a month to have fun with the guys and thats about it.

My wife drives 50 miles M-F round trip. I drive 60 miles or more round trip, but I can also work out of the home office 1-2 times per week. I rode the Busa 260 miles round trip a couple weekends ago to visit with a client.

I'm looking to trade in our 6SPD sports car for a 32/40 MPG four door civic.

No it is not all the time in Dallas that kind of stuff happens every were.  Thing is Motorcycles are coming out by record numbers due to Gas prices and the more there are on the road the more accidents people will see.   What really kills me is all these first time riders getting bikes that are way more powerful for their riding ablities and that does not help matter point in case we had a guy in my dealership last Saturday never rode before in his life but bought a brand new GSXR-1000.  I was like Dude please go buy yourself some good gear and please ride safe and then I started to  
please.gif
for him
I just got back to S.E. Texas from spending 3 weeks in Dallas. I have never seen so many bikes and scooters! Had a talk to a "scooter" guy while I was there about gear. The usual crap about "I don't ride fast" etc. So much for helping. I must say that almost all the sport bikes I see and I have been looking everyone was wearing their gear. Can't be said for the Harleys though.
Here at my plant there only has been 2 or 3 of us ridding our bikes to work, but now their must be a dozen in the lot! And I am hearing from some "I am going to get a bike to ride to work too".
I just bought a little gas saving car for days it rains, but I am going to keep ridding the Busa to work too.

3 years ago I decided the "commute" was a waste of time and money... found a home within 3 miles of work and it saves me 24 miles per day or 120m a week or almost 6300M per year

so my math goes like this:

6300M/15MPG = 420g@$3 = $1260 0r roughly 2 house payments this year alone.. with fuel at $4 that is getting me close to a third house payment..

Now the sad part...
I save an hour a day of driving and wear and tear on my vehicle.. I did go from a 1 acre lot to a 6000sq ft lot so I had to quit mowing my lawn for 3 hours a week down to 20 minutes as well...

so this year I save $1600 a year in fuel, I get another 150 hrs of my time back from driving AND I spend about 120 less hours mowing my grass every year..... no wonder I feel like I got an extra vacation and a raise at the same time...

Oh and I save a few bucks going home for lunch @ 8$ vs $3 eating at home..

whistling.gif

3 years ago I decided  the "commute" was a waste of time and money... found a home within 3 miles of work and it saves me 24 miles per day or 120m a week or almost 6300M per year  

so my math goes like this:

6300M/15MPG = 420g@$3 = $1260  0r roughly 2 house payments this year alone.. with fuel at $4 that is getting me close to a third house payment..  

Now the sad part...
I save an hour a day of driving and wear and tear on my vehicle..   I did go from a 1 acre lot to a 6000sq ft lot so I had to quit mowing my lawn for 3 hours a week down to 20 minutes as well...

so this year I save $1600 a year in fuel, I get another 150 hrs of my time back from driving AND I spend about 120 less hours mowing my grass every year.....   no wonder I feel like I got an extra vacation and a raise at the same time...

Oh and I save a few bucks going home for lunch  @ 8$ vs $3 eating at home..

whistling.gif
I can't imagine what you must think of me
smile.gif

I do worry about the commute to work and home every day.... This week alone if I had not been on my guard I would have been run over 3 times.... I go to work at 6am so I miss most traffic and I have been coming home about 4pm and working from home for the rest of the day. I miss the afternoon rush hour this way..... It's definately not a fun ride where I relax going home... After the crash in July of last year I catch myself scanning and taking a much more cautious approach.

Cap

I do worry about the commute to work and home every day.... This week alone if I had not been on my guard I would have been run over 3 times.... I go to work at 6am so I miss most traffic and I have been coming home about 4pm and working from home for the rest of the day. I miss the afternoon rush hour this way..... It's definately not a fun ride where I relax going home... After the crash in July of last year I catch myself scanning and taking a much more cautious approach.

Cap
that ride around OKC is harrowing at best.. people just sort of change lanes when they feel like it... careful man careful...

What really kills me is all these first time riders getting bikes that are way more powerful for their riding ablities and that does not help matter point in case we had a guy in my dealership last Saturday never rode before in his life but bought a brand new GSXR-1000.  I was like Dude please go buy yourself some good gear and please ride safe and then I started to  
please.gif
for him
Yep wittness that quite a bit here. Just last week a dude bought a 08
R1.....looked to be all of 18/19? Told the salesman this will be his 1st
bike.  
sad.gif

I could not work @ a bike dealership. I would fired within the first hour, by refusing to sell to a newb.

What really kills me is all these first time riders getting bikes that are way more powerful for their riding ablities and that does not help matter point in case we had a guy in my dealership last Saturday never rode before in his life but bought a brand new GSXR-1000. I was like Dude please go buy yourself some good gear and please ride safe and then I started to
please.gif
for him
Yep wittness that quite a bit here. Just last week a dude bought a 08
R1.....looked to be all of 18/19? Told the salesman this will be his 1st
bike.
sad.gif

I could not work @ a bike dealership. I would fired within the first hour, by refusing to sell to a newb.
and there are dozens of guys here that will tell you that the Busa is just fine as a first bike (great beginners bike huh?)

I have been trying to document a few crashes and fatalities and what the riders previous bikes and experience are...

really hard to do BTW and so far the results have not been very encouraging.. many are on their first sport bike with little or no experience...

Back