1 killed, 1 hurt in Scenic Highway crash

rdx4me

Registered
Pensacola, Florida - October 13, 2008

One man is dead and another hospitalized in critical condition after they were involved in a motorcycle crash early this morning.

Troy Jacob Dean, 19, address unavailable, who was driving the 2002 Suzuki motorcycle, died at the scene.

The passenger – Christopher Brandon Miller, 19, address unavailable – was in critical but stable condition at Sacred Heart Hospital.

Officer Mark Holmes said the crash occurred around 1:15 a.m. today on Scenic Highway approximately 600 feet south of Langley Avenue. Holmes said Dean was driving the motorcycle northbound at a high rate of speed when he left the roadway and struck a guardrail on the west side of the road.

Dean and Miller, neither of whom was wearing a helmet, were thrown from the motorcycle.

Holmes said Kevin Smith, 22, of Pensacola told police the motorcycle had passed him and another motorist just prior to the crash.

The crash remains under investigation.

This was the ninth traffic fatality this year within city limits.

Why do people ride without a helmet and gear? I know a guardrail is still going to kill you but geez.......And way to many crashes in the last few days. We've had three in north Fort Worth just this weekend.

Omg what are people doin this is getting out of hand people to many wrecks its getting closer to the end of ridin season so I wonder if people are just acting like fools. Rip

Wow, another one? Glad mine is put up for the year. WHIPKRAKR's uncle was riding yesterday with some friends when one of them had a heart attack(we think) while riding. They tried CPR but he was unsaveable. Wasnt an at fault accident but still a motorcycle death nonetheless. Sad

I have ridden that road many times, if it as near langley, there is a steep decline... un road to ride - but the road is never clean and lots of traffic...

Wow, another one? Glad mine is put up for the year. WHIPKRAKR's uncle was riding yesterday with some friends when one of them had a heart attack(we think) while riding. They tried CPR but he was unsaveable. Wasnt an at fault accident but still a motorcycle death nonetheless. Sad

Sorry to hear that Sam.

r8

Their isn't a law to wear a helmet here in Arkansas but I never leave without mine ANYTIME, you never know whats going to happen you may not have to worry about yourself but you do have to worry about other people. Man this is disturbing, i think this is like the 6 death i have read about today... R.I.P. to all the fallen.

:rulez::rulez::rulez:

They do exist, but ignorance can be bliss.....

sorry to hear....im getting depressed reading all these incidents.....

Whats wrong with people?? DUH HUH!!! I have counted 16 people killed in my area in the last 3 months .cyclist and cagers both at fault. And theres only about 15K people that live in the county... I value my life ! Nobody rides on the back and I wear gear!

Today i went for a great ride in the country.I was on 2 lane highway the whole time.Seeing that it was such a nice day today,there were alota cars and bikes on the road........
HOWEVER.....I was tempted to pass SEVERAL times becuase of all the traffic.
I NEVER once passed when it was dangerous to do so,but the temptations were there more than once.
I' 51 years old and i guess that has alot to do with it.I know that when i was younger i wud of taken way more chances today !!!!!!
Just my .02 cents
Bottom line is....SLOW DOWN and think twice before you really go for it.

RIP and I hope the survivor makes it. I question about exactly how "high rate of speed " he was going cause with out a lid you wouldn't have a chance of any kind of speed much less high rate. Kinda surprised you found some humor in it dilligaf but to each his own. Ride safe wear your gear I know its more fun without, but it may make the difference on how long you get ride.

This is just plain getting ridiculous, the amout of accidents and deaths is starting to make me not even want to ride, i have a 3 & 5 year old, and couldn't even imagine......well you get the point! IT's getting to the point where im hesitant to log in, for fear of ANOTHER, "RIDER DIED TODAY......" thread! ???
RIP FALLEN BROTHERS, MAY GOD BE WITH YOU NOW AND WATCH OVER YOUR LOVED ONE'S :please:

Where they implied he went off is in a decline and a slight double curve. He would not have had to be going a bunch over posted if he missed the turning points. There is not a lot of width there. I am guessing high sided over the rail into concrete ditch. There has been a substantial amount of road work on Scenic over the last 8 months including brand new pavement in that area. The guard rail is also new.

Under 21 so both should have been wearing lids.

It saddens me for all parties really when another motorist or factors beyond the riders control is responsible for a motorcycle injury or death. It really angers me more when we kill ourselves. This makes 8 in our local area this year. I feel for the families.

it is amazing most of these motorcycle accidents happens late nite early morning, no traffic, high speed, dark, that is the result.
some people just don't get it!:banghead:

RIP

Back