Not the way I wanted to join this site...

Doesn't look totaled to me and I've seen my fair share of wrecked bikes. Do you have full coverage on it? Did you get a wreck estimate done yet? I will beat any prices on parts you can find for OEM parts, but I can tell you right now that I hope for your sake that you have full coverage

The accident was ruled to be the fault of the driver of the SUV (who stopped and remained on the scene! GASP!) and as such their insurance is covering the repairs on the bike...its actually the shop that I brought the bike to that is telling me to prepare for having it totalled. They believe that there's a good chance that in the process of sliding on the left side that particulate matter from the concrete and the stator cover got inside the motor and if so, that would require a full rebuild of the engine, which would easily make the bike totalled. They also said something along the lines that theres a chance that the impact may have shifted the bearings on the crank or damaged the flywheel in some way which would also end up totalling the bike. This being my first time in this situation I dont really know what to believe, which is why I decided to throw it out to the community in hopes that I could get some more guidance. :)

bummer, im just glad im reading your post, welcome to the Org, i have an 04 i bought salvage from medium plastic damage and some other parts, it was a total job, so yes they can be totaled with minimum damgage. Sounds like the dealer is wanting to make some cash by rebuilding a motor, cant blame them, times are tuff, i would try to get your money back out of it and then some arguing the fact of the low miles on the odometer, best of luck to ya

As a side question on the issue of the whole "junk in the stator housing" thing; would I be able to simply flush motor oil through the motor and get all that crap out? Just kinda trying to figure out options...wouldn't mind getting it totalled for the right sum then putting her back together myself, but I dont want to go that route to grenade a motor I'm sitting on xD

Glad you are okay and able to have this dilemma. Good luck on your quest. As long as the motor is good, you shouldn't have a problem.

If ya trust the dealer doin the estimate, go with what they say as car as the motor issues go. Without lookin at it in person, its hard for us to know what did/didnt get in there. Hope it works out.in way your happy with.

If I can get the insurance company to agree to a value more in line with what I believe is reasonable (I still hold that KBB vastly undervalues the bike), then it might actually work out better to let them total it and buy it back anyways...we'll see what happens.

Just got the estimate back from the shop: $4930 parts & labor. Apparently from what they're quoting, it needs a new stator and cover, new flywheel, as well as the plastics and exterior stuff. :(

Not bad, it cost 5K to fix mine in April. Woodcraft stators are better than the factory one. You might want to check into that.

Just got the estimate back from the shop: $4930 parts & labor. Apparently from what they're quoting, it needs a new stator and cover, new flywheel, as well as the plastics and exterior stuff. :(

I sent you a PM back in response to your parts :thumbsup:

Yikes! Keep us posted on what ya do,,hopefully saving some cash with Justin will get ya ahead.

Well, they're totalling the bike out. They valued the bike at $6724.77, minus a salvage value of ~$1125. Now I gotta figure out the next steps...

I have totally been where you are at. The damage I see I will say they will most likely try to total it. I had a lot less damage to mine and they were way past it even being close. They will go directly to the KBB lowest value and add a mileage bonus value. In my case (State Farm) it exceeded the 70% of value they chose. Your fight, that you can win is, show real world prices that your bike in as close to the same condition you can for value. The difference in mine was $4000 in price. I'd say by looking at it, that you have 4K+ in damage, when we talk replacement of parts with new OEM. What you can do is bargain on labor also.

A shop will quote the repairs, send it to an adjuster and they simply run the formula. The labor for that crash repair will probably be 8 hours. At $100 an hour (dealer shops charge higher rates) you can offer to make the repairs yourself and bargain $800 of the payout. You can win this, but it won't take a day. They actually typically want to total a bike pretty easy.

I just went through this. If I can help I will. It will be a lengthy post to write and take in.. PM me if you want.

Try to buy it back, take.the payout and fix her yourself. Your learn about the bike spending.some good, quality time.together.

Back