I finally joined the club.

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
Well I was backing my bike out of my fathers garage... I had spent the night at their house because it was raining and I didn't feel like riding from South Jersey to the suburbs of philadelphia in cold rain at eleven pm.  So I waited for the rain to stop and the roads not to be so slippery.  Around five am I back the bike out of the garage which slopes away from house...  Didn't notice that there was a significant amount of frost on the ground...  Needless to say as I was backing the bike up and carefully turning across the driveway so I could turn around the bike just slid to the right and started to drop...  This is one heavy bike. Especially when mother nature has created a very slick surface.  It slammed onto the left side and slid down the drive way about two feet.  The nose has some scratches, the left fairing has some really deep ones, stator cover has some pretty decent grindage, left pipe ground down some and a ding (not that bad) in the gas tank... and the left mirror is scuffed.  There is nothing worse than the moment in time when you realize you can't stop an event... that split second were you just have to let go... I actually tried to fall under the bike and prevent it from hitting the ground thinking that my father would be leaving for work in an hour and would be able to lift it off me.  
I will post pics later...  The one thing I learned is ... my wife doesn't understand the relationship I have with my bike.  What really sucks is that I ordered frame sliders two days before...
I will post the pics when I feel that looking at won't make me so sad.

<!--EDIT|jessup
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130537643 -->

i feel for ya bra...i have set of lower plastices but they are for the right side, sorry.. take pics and let us kow what you need maybe we can help

I actually tried to fall under the bike and prevent it from hitting the ground
That sounds like something I'd try.
laugh.gif

Sorry to hear about the drop. It sounds like your bike suffered a lot more damage than most driveway drops.
sad.gif
Was it the fall or the slide that hurt it the most?

think about it.. You can ride with scratches and she can spend that money on something really important, like new outfit for herself. when your so significant other don`t care about your pain then maybe she is not so significant..
I feel your pain, brother... I did it once and was able to almost stop it before she hit the ground. sliders helped 100%, no scratches..

Sorry to hear. I suppose we fall into two categories; those who have (dropped it) and those that will. Fortunately I'm in the 2nd category, at least for now. Hope you get your baby fixed real soon! Starting lining up calls to the OEM discount parts houses! She'll be as good as new in no-time!
wink.gif

Oh... I know what you went through/are going through. Sorry to here about it. Wives can't always understand these things.

I dropped my the other week (while I was on it) and it half landed on my foot - its a long story. Anyway, hope you get it looking shiny and new again soon.

I'm going to go out to the garage tonight and take a critical look at the damage... I hope I was over reacting and that it was just shock. What worries me was the ride home it didn't feel like it was handling normally felt a little off in the corners... Either that or it was so cold out and I was so pissed off that I just wasn't riding as I normally do...

Vic... I think she just doesn't get the attachment we have with our bikes... I came off a little harsh with her response. It was more of a not understanding the pain of dropping the bike:p

05busablu... thanks I appreciate the thought!

I think it was the slide down the driveway that made the scratches deep...

What was even worse was I couldn't lift it by myself because of the hill and the frost...
If any of the neighbors were watching it probably looked funny when my father came out in his boxers with a cigar hanging out of his mouth to lift it
smile.gif

I'll take some pics tonight.
Thanks for the kind words!

Well I was backing my bike out of my fathers garage... I had spent the night at their house because it was raining and I didn't feel like riding from South Jersey to the suburbs of philadelphia in cold rain at eleven pm.  So I waited for the rain to stop and the roads not to be so slippery.  Around five am I back the bike out of the garage which slopes away from house...  Didn't notice that there was a significant amount of frost on the ground...  Needless to say as I was backing the bike up and carefully turning across the driveway so I could turn around the bike just slid to the right and started to drop...  This is one heavy bike. Especially when mother nature has created a very slick surface.  It slammed onto the left side and slid down the drive way about two feet.  The nose has some scratches, the left fairing has some really deep ones, stator cover has some pretty decent grindage, left pipe ground down some and a ding (not that bad) in the gas tank... and the left mirror is scuffed.  There is nothing worse than the moment in time when you realize you can't stop an event... that split second were you just have to let go... I actually tried to fall under the bike and prevent it from hitting the ground thinking that my father would be leaving for work in an hour and would be able to lift it off me.  
I will post pics later...  The one thing I learned is ... my wife doesn't understand the relationship I have with my bike.  I told her how upset I was with the damage and that I wanted to repair it as quickly as possible and she said why bother its only body work and you can still ride it without fixing it. What really sucks is that I ordered frame sliders two days before...
I will post the pics when I feel that looking at won't make me so sad.
Man, sorry to hear it. Im in S.Jersey, whereabouts are your parents at?

they are in Magnolia... I was actually going to call you before I went down but your pm wasn't in my inbox anymore and I didn't have time to track you down through the board. Your bike looks great. you preped it for winter?

they are in Magnolia... I was actually going to call you before I went down but your pm wasn't in my inbox anymore and I didn't have time to track you down through the board.  Your bike looks great. you preped it for winter?
Thanks for the compliment. I ride year round, just not as frequent so I ran a little Sta-Bil through it. Im not sure where Magnolia is, there are so many small towns around here. Im in Absecon.

It is near Deptford, cherry hill, haddonfield... On another note I went out and looked and I feel like the little boy who cried wolf... the damage isn't nearly as bad or as deep as I first thought. It must have been the adrenaline and dismay that made every thing appear so horrible... and the fact that it was 5 am in the morning when I first looked at it. It still sucks and looks fugly but the marks are not as bad as I made them out to be...
smile.gif

Damn .. sorry to hear .. I too was in that situation. Slow drop, going down a incline, right foot unable to take 500lbs+my weight ... slow and steady "TOUCHDOWN". OoOOo hurts just to recall that .. I never shelled out $400 so fast without thinking in my life
tounge.gif
.. Glad its done and over with .. now get back to riding.

Sorry you damaged your baby. Bet by time winter is over it will look better than ever and will be sporting some new mods.

Vic... I think she just doesn't get the attachment we have with our bikes... I came off a little harsh with her response. It was more of a not understanding the pain of dropping the bike:p
I`ve been a little ass on that, sorry man....
You wife tried to calm you down a little bit, after all it`s not too bad as you stated later.
and I like the spirit...
You scratched your baby and you will make her shiny again, even better then she was before...
Dropped the bike - get custom paint, bent the wheel - go get carfon fiber wheels...
You can cheat on fate...
smile.gif

Back