Almost joined the club...

Oncebitten

Registered
I was on the way to the gym this morning at 4:45, only a few hundred yards down my street when a good sized doe jumps out of the thicket beside the road and lands RIGHT in my path! I had just clutched in order to shift into 3rd but instead I down shifted into first and let the rear tire slide. I aimed for the hind quarter and hoped she'd keep moving so she wouldn't be there when I arrived. Thankfully she did and I missed her by about 2-3 feet. I have no idea if I even hit the brakes, it happened that quickly.

As soon as I got passed her and the rear tire was under control I rethought my usual attire of Nike's, shorts, sleeveless tee and a hoodie when riding to the gym. The helmet was on of course but I would have gotten ground up sliding dow the road in gym clothes. Damn, I've been wired ever since.

Ride safe out there everybody.

A good way to get your heart pumping on the way to the gym..thank God it was only a close call...

we have deer around here a lot were i live. i have come close several times so i put a pair of deer whistles on my bike. havent seen any since. dont know if they work for sure or not but so far so good

I'll tell you what, I've been riding for 22+ years and never so much as scratched the paint on any of my bikes, but seeing that sucker right in front of me was a wake up call. Maybe I've been getting a little lackidasical regarding safety over the years. I see the light once again though! :please:

I also intend to get a little pay back during deer season. I think I might fill all my tags this year! :guns:

:poke: hey we where all looking for some jerkey too....ah well atleast your not hurt...
:beerchug:

I hope everyone takes something from this story, its just another reason to say screw the gym and stay in your nice warm SAFE! bed:rofl:... but yes not cool glad every1s ok

we have deer around here a lot were i live. i have come close several times so i put a pair of deer whistles on my bike. havent seen any since. dont know if they work for sure or not but so far so good

Body shop that fixed my wifes brand new Honda CRV(2300 miles at the time) that a deer decided to run smack into the passenger side of causing $4000 in damage said he fixes just as many cars with deer whistles as he does cars without.:moderator:

121_reindeer.gif

I work in Safety, and one thing that is common to all industries, "Nothing has ever happened to me". "I will be right back". Please do not let overconfidence take hold. Over confidence counts for 50% of all accidents when related to human error. Always ask yourself, "what is the worst that can happen" and plan for that. :beerchug:

Good riding gear is just like insurance or a parachute. It's better the have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

ATGATT :beerchug:

Back