Not the way I wanted to join this site...

Argilbertson

Registered
Hello all you fellow 'busa owners!

I wish I could say I was happy to be posting my first thread up on the site, but the circumstances of this post aren't the best by any means.

Here's My story:

On October 29th of this year, I became the proud owner of a 2001 Black/Silver Hayabusa. She was in great shape, and the gentleman who sold it to me was interested in taking a partial trade for my old CBR900RR, so it was really fortuitous timing that the deal worked out. Of course as soon as I had it home I was all over the internet looking for little doodads and what not to make the bike fit me a little better...
20kwx7o.jpg

The best thing about the bike was that it was in immaculate showroom condition, and very low miles, as you can see!
2h69j7s.jpg

Well, fast forward one week exactly, when on the way to work I had a lady in an SUV decide to change lanes into me on the freeway...I was lucky not to hit anything other than the asphault and not get run over by anyone, but the bike was not nearly so lucky...
rvyhde.jpg

I've been told that the stator looks like it was still turning when the cover ground through, meaning that there might be debris in the stator housing.
1yjtc9.jpg

I've been advised to expect to have the bike totalled most likely, but what I'm wondering is, what kind of figure should I be arguing for in terms of pre-crash value? There can't be too many bikes around with less than 1800 miles on them in showroom shape, and I want to make sure that I get a reasonable value for the bike.

Let me know whatcha think!

Man sorry for your miss hap. Not sure what its worth. Maybe Kelly Blue book can help. I just wanted to :welcome: you to the org. Best of luck

Yes be glad you are in a position to even think about replacing the bike. If your frame isnt cracked I cant imagine it being totaled from what i see in the pics. But good luck and let us know how it turns out. I totaled an '02 in 2005 and received a check for $8600 after i bought it back from them for $900.

I doubt they will total it so long as the frame hasn't been comprimised,probly $2k worth of damage tho. Really is a shame, we're running out of low mileage early bikes.

my brother in law just got an 05 with 8K miles for 7.5K that is also in perfect shape. Just for an idea on price.

That does not look totaled to me, tell the adjuster not to total it!
Noting in the pics cant be fixed easy!

Keep enough distance in front of or behind cars (especially vans, SUV's, and women lol) and you can hopefully avoid this in the future.
I'm always passing people or slowing down so that no one is near me if they decide to change lanes. Just assume you're in the blind spot of 100% of cars 100% of the time. Assume that they're all idiots and will do worst-case-scenario actions all the time and you'll have no surprises. :thumbsup:

yep, thanks to everyone who responded, it's really appreciated. I really hope that its not totalled as well, but I've been told that its possible looking at the stator that there might be material in the oil passages (which would presumably total the bike out due to needing a motor rebuild) or that the impact could possibly have screwed up something with the crank or flywheel...I guess I'll just hafta see what the shop tells me once the fairing and cover is off....all told though, I'm really surprised there's as little damage as there is, considering the bike went down at somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 mph!

yep, thanks to everyone who responded, it's really appreciated. I really hope that its not totalled as well, but I've been told that its possible looking at the stator that there might be material in the oil passages (which would presumably total the bike out due to needing a motor rebuild) or that the impact could possibly have screwed up something with the crank or flywheel...I guess I'll just hafta see what the shop tells me once the fairing and cover is off....all told though, I'm really surprised there's as little damage as there is, considering the bike went down at somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 mph!

That's only a third of what they CAN crash at. :laugh:

On another note, I had a lightly laid down bike recently that they totaled because of accessories being damaged, added to the over all value of fixing the bike. Plus I think the guy knew the insurance agent personally. Anyways..... a small ding in the fake tank cover ( about the size of a pencil eraser ) totaled the tank cover out , which is $400-500 new from a dealer. Handle bar end, $100 to replace. Even though we all know they dont cost that much. Tank bag, sissy seat bag, etc. The sissy seat are hard to find originals, and usually the seat back alone is $150-200 for a really nice one. But dealer pricing is like $500. So depending on how you want to go. You either salvage the bike and probably get more then you paid for the bike, buy it back and fix it. Or you just pay the deductible and try to get them to fix the bike. Either way the value of the bike is gone unless you don't tell the next buyer it was wrecked. If its totaled then it will have a salvage title , which then totally diminishes the value. So really depending on what you want to do with the bike is how to approach it. Unless your insurance company isn't cool with you, then they might just total it off, which is what they seem to do quite often.

Good luck!

Todd

Sorry to hear this, but you're OK and the bike can be fixed and/or replaced much more easily than you could...

Welcome to the oRg!! :)

I have seen bikes with a lot less damage get totaled. Plastics are expensive and local dealerships rates are high...so all that factors in.

Insurance will probably say the wholesale value of the bike is around $6000. Then they will base repair/salvage ratio off that.

Back