New toy

SierraFlyer

Registered
Ordered one today. It should arrive by Friday. This is the TEKA SFI unit from Factory Pro. It reprograms the ECU realtime with the engine running. It works on any Suzuki with EFI. It works in place of a power commander but doesn't stay on the bike. You reprogram the ECU and them remove it. It can be used on any number of Suzukis. I also bought an ignition advance woodruff key. This will add 4 degrees total advance to the ignition.

As soon as I get them installed, I'll report how well they work. I expect the Busa's attitude to go from mean to nasty.

If you guys have used these, I would appreciate some tips.

Yeah that what I'm talkn about !!The more nasty (XXXXX)the betta. Keep us up to date Playa
kickass.gif

SF,
Can you clarify something for me? Is this device used INSTEAD of the Power Commander or Yosh EMS? I looked at the website, and it seems like this is an easier way to go.

The one thing I note with people using the PC is that there's a lot of them out there asking for maps.

I'm interested to hear how your testing goes. Keep us informed.

OMFG!! That looks right up my alley! This sounds a hell of a lot better than my PC2 that we have to create a new freakin map for once my mods are done.

Keep us posted on this wonderful new toy of yours!!

I am concidering one. Let us know how it turns out.
muscle.gif

Just think about it. It costs $600.00 but you don't have to worry aboutyour battery dying and have to re-map like Power Commanders and you can program your buddoes bike if he needs it. Just ask him for a small donation to help pay for the unit.
idea.gif

Got The TEKA SFI yesterday. Hooked it up last night. First thing to do is find the connector on the harness. It is under the subframe rail on the left side of the rear seat. I pulled mine into the area where the hand grip recess is located. It is out of the way but accessable there.

The TEKA SFI is not a sensor offset unit like the Power Commanders/Yosh/etc., so it doesn't stay on the bike. The TEKA unit hooks up to the harness/ECU and reprograms it. You reprogram with the engine running and make realtime adjustments while riding even. This allows you to adjust the mixture while riding under load and you don't have to buy a dyno to simulate it. After you are done, the TEKA is removed and put away. The code is held in the ECU and won't erase even if the battery is removed. There are no Maps to load and no laptop is needed. There is no external indication that the ECU is modified so I doubt that a mechanic could detect changes without hooking up to the ECU with another TEKA unit and reading the settings. So I doubt this would get a warrantee voided. I would bet Suzuki would not warrantee a PC installed bike.

Is it easy? Yes. Does it work? Yes. It is not as dramatic as I expected (I was thinking major increase in wheelies) but it does clean things up like idle stumbles and off idle hesitation. Like the PCs, it doesn't create horsepower directly but it allows the engine to run most efficiently given the modifications you have like new exhaust/race airfilter/ head porting/etc. Or said another way, whatever engine you have, the TEKA will let you get all available horsepower from it. If your bike is way out of tune, it will feel like the TEKA increases HP - if your bike is well tuned, it will have little effect. It definitely fixes the lean idle and off idle conditon programmed into the stock ECU (smog control). After enrichening the idle and off-idle, the choke lever is more effective. It adds about 800 RPM now when engaged instead of just 200. I also had to back off the idle screw to return it to 1150RPM. The adjustments I put in caused the idle to creep up to about 1500 RPM. I interpret this to be due to the initial lean condition was robbing horsepower in favor of clean exhaust.

The procedure is to select the Idle menu from the LCD display and use the keypad to increase or decrease the settings. Then you push the "enter" button and listen. As the new program enters, you can hear the change in the running engine cylinder-by-cylinder. Then you can change the setting and hit Enter again. If the bike runs better - keep going. If not, then back off the setting a little until you reach maximum effect. In idle mode, each cylinder can be individually adjusted - or you can program all at the same time.

In the Run Adjust mode for 25%-100% throttle openings you don't need to hit enter each time. The changes are realtime and you simply select each throttle range and adjust it. When done with all ranges then you hit enter. All cylinders are adjusted together in this mode and you can't individually adjust a cylinder alone.

To adjust the 25% through 100% throttle position requires running the bike hard in first gear and adjusting the mixture for best throttle response from 5000 RPM and hardest pull. I didn't have enough daylight left to do this last night. I'll try it today if I can find some time. It would probaly take 30 minutes to an hour. Maybe then I will get better wheelies?

When done, you simply disconnect and put it in its hard case for protection. You can program as many Suzuki fuel injected bikes as you want. Each has a similar ECU. So the unit is more cost effective than a PC if you have more than one bike or belong to a club. It is easy enough to use that you could take it with you and optimize the settings for what ever altitude/condition exists that day. You could reset your bike everyday if you want and NO MAPS to down load. Maps are an estimation (at best) for some other engine. Your engine may vary and that intoduces error. The TEKA lets you zero in on the exact settings for your engine.

My next report will be after I install the timing advancer kit. Marc at Factory Pro said this kit will help improve throttle resonse. No more pause immediately after cracking the throttle hard. We will see........

SierraFlyer,

DAMN. I thought you'd never get around to posting!
wink.gif

Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking of buying one of these.

I hope your testing goes well.

Big E, Just go to www.factorypro.com to get the phone number or order on-line.

Some more data after a short afternoon ride:

Still haven't tuned the 25% and above yet. But with the idle and 10% done, there is some improvement in overall driving quality. My bike has the Akra race 4 into 1 pipe, BMC race filter, TRE and the small airbox mod. I was wondering if the air box would mess up my low end performance? No. In fact the bike was sewing machine smooth at slow speed. 1st and 2nd gear are no longer jerky after fatteding up the mixture. It idles a little smoother too, Launches require less clutch feathering and the engine never stumbles now like it used to. Street riding in traffic is easier now.

When I got onto the freeway the front wheel cleared the ground by 4" by just throttle alone. No bounce or clutch. Just rolling and twist the wrist. Didn't get that high before.

they say that you have to tune from idle up to 100% throttle because each step is affected by the lower one. They build more fuel squirt by adding to the previous setting. So by fattening the first two steps, I have also juiced up the higher ones a little. They still need to be tuned though. The manual says it is not uncommon to set the 100% at -60 index points (yes negative 60) after adding +20 to +40 ponts to the lower settings.

This tool is expensive but now that I have it, I wouldn't go back to a PC. Maps are too inaccurate. Plus I can play with this every day for months if I want to get it perfect.

Fun toy!

Tell us how it works through 100%. It looks like I'm all over this one! I'll offset the cost by selling my PC. It won't be too bad. Thanks for the outstanding info. I couldn't imagine where I was going to find a map for my busa after it was all done. Now there is NO need!! Truely you couldn't have posted this at a better time. Thanks bro.

You are welcome,

This is the reason I like the boards here so much is that we can share information and experiences and save time and money. Others did that for me when I joined and saved me from making mistakes from believing advertizing hype. This Factory unit was a gamble for me. Didn't know if it would pay off. But after talking to Marc (Factory owner) I felt he was a straight shooter. I took the chance with $600 and found the product has met his claims so far. He has many other products that look useful and well thought out too. Next week is the timing advancer kit install. It should put a little more fire in the dragon. Claims to sharpen up throttle response and quicken accelleration. Should be done by next Friday?

This is great I'm looking at something like this as well..Also let me know how the advancer add to the fun.

Man I jonesing over this one..Thanks

I just read this about factory Pro >>>>check it out Playaz!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So Rhythm what does this tell you?

I read it and it says that about half had good experiences. One guy likes the products and employees but hates Marc. And Nickslick doesn't understand whats going on inside the ECU and how the fuel injection system works.

Nick's "authoritative" comment about the add on boxes being better is ignorant of facts. The PCll and the other similar add-on boxes trick the ECU by modifying the input signals from the engine sensors. If the box electronics has drift or tollerance errors it will give the wrong settings over RPM and cause the ECU to drift out of tune also. The ECU needs accurate data to do its job. The PC's tollerance can change with temperature. PC111R type box offsets the outputs of the ECU to the injectors and ignition circuit. So the precise signals from the well made ECU are being filtered through the relatively cheaply made add on box to control timing and fuel squirt at 12,000 RPM? Any drift or scatter at those speeds will snuf out HP not improve it. Think of it - at 12,000 RPM each cylinder is firing 6000 times a minute or 100 times a second. Ignition timing has to be exact. If it is off by 1 in 1000 due to cheap components the cylinder will not provide significant HP. That is tollerance of 1 part in 100,000. That is pretty tight.

Now try reprogramming the ECU so it controls the amount of fuel. The output signal quality will be the same as stock in terms of precision. All the reprogrammer does is cause the ECU to give a different amount of fuel for a given set of inputs. Straight inputs not "offset" and varying inputs.

Mr. Slick has no idea how it works, he sounds like he is wary of the ECU like it is some magical thing that should be avoided. He needs to know that "the ECU is our friend".

SORRY FOR THE SARCASM. His post sounds ignorant but has the same "weight" as all the other posts.

So of the four relavent comments, two were good to average, one was a personal dislike of Marc (stated without explaining his basis for dislike, but thinks the products and employess are "cool"?), and one that doesn't know what he is talking about technically but has an firm oppinion anyway.

I know about my experience with Factory and the TEKA works. It is equivelent to a chip used in the Corvettes. But in cars the chip is programmed outside the car and then replaces the existing chip. In a way the TEKA is better because you can reprogram with it in the car and do it with the engine running in real time. The car chip is like a download map. It has one setting only and then you have to pull it and reprogram it.

If you havent had no problem with it than good for you Rod I just feel that peeps here should see what other Playa dealing had been with Factory Pro .   Also "customer service" is high on my list >>>>>exampled picked from the link I posted here early

JohnnyCheese

POST WHORE
Member # 7

posted June 17, 2003 07:45 AM                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no one has been able to get me info.
Like Wicked said i just had a round with Fatory Pro and all I can say is what Aholes they are.
All I needed was to find out if I could tell what jet kit of thiers was installed and if I could get some instuctions.
When they asked why I was honest and said to install a DJ kit they Blew me off .
didn't matter the DJ kit worked better got rid of the flat spot and added 3.5HP and 2.3torque on a F-4 over the F@$#!$ Pro kit

--------------------
Builder and tuner of the fastest Hayabusa in Central Texas

Johnnycheese Performance 512-990-0686

Like you, I value customer service. This guy wasn't a customer of Factory. This guy wanted to use a competitive solution (DJ jet kit), but wanted Factory to do the service? Putting myself in this I would be pissed off if someone called me looking for free information I sell. After all its not the jets that have value, but knowing what jet to install is. And then they would call me an ahole?

Johnny Cheese thinks he is right because he told the truth that he was looking for free info. Cheese was looking for a freebee and was not right to ask for it in the first place from Factory in my view. What happened to DJ giving support to its customer?

I am sorry to argue with you Rhythm, I like your posts and respect you input. I'll leave it alone from now on.

I am sorry to argue with you Rhythm, I like your posts and respect you input. I'll leave it alone from now on.[/QUOTE]

C'mon Playa does this mean you wont comment on any other of my topics I post here; but if your reffereing to "this" post than I with you . As I respect you and your input as well .

Like you, I value customer service. This guy wasn't a customer of Factory. This guy wanted to use a competitive solution (DJ jet kit), but wanted Factory to do the service? Putting myself in this I would be pissed off if someone called me looking for free information I sell. After all its not the jets that have value, but knowing what jet to install is. And then they would call me an ahole?  

Johnny Cheese thinks he is right because he told the truth that he was looking for free info. Cheese was looking for a freebee and was not right to ask for it in the first place from Factory in my view. What happened to DJ giving support to its customer?

I am sorry to argue with you Rhythm, I like your posts and respect you input. I'll leave it alone from now on.
What freebie?
rock.gif
?? as far as being a Factory customer I am, so still bad customer service.
What service did I want from Factory?
I wanted instuctions to remove their kit.
Heck Dynojet post them on thier website.
Why does Factory want to hide the install instuctions??

2nd if you need to remove fuel how do you do this with this system???

I see that you say that the Yosh system fools the sensors.NO it does not it is the same as what you have just less tuneable.
The PC3 does not fools sensors.
The PC2 does fool the sensors.

Powercomanders do not drain a battery, it can't due to it gets it power from the ECU.bike not on power to ECU not on.
A PC2-3 will not void a warranty but if your dealer says it does you have a bad dealer,( and before you start crying be for warn I am in the field and fully trained tech)
I tell you what you finish tuning by making it richer (that is what below 20% throttle wants due to our Gov. but after that a Busa or 80% of the other bikes in the world need less fuel) and when you are done I bet you I can make it run better withe better fuel milage with a PC2-3

Bottom like is you don't know me and I don't know you but by your post you don't know S%^T
And next time you want to post something don't take what someone post out of text read the who thing
11doh.gif

Back