New to 'Busas, but very tempted to buy...Help!

iwanabe007

Registered
Greetings, all! I've been reading some posts for a few days (I just came across this site this week), and am really impressed with all of your members! Everyone seems quite knowledgeable AND friendly - something that's unheard of in internet forums.
Anyway, since I'm new here, I'll get straight to the point. I've grown up riding dirt bikes, but I've never owned a street bike. I'm thinking it's time to finally get one! :laugh:
I'm 6'4", 215 lbs, and I want a bike that can take me and my wife (who's a LOT smaller than I am) up a steep, twisty canyon road, relatively comfortably, without breaking a sweat. For me, everything is pointing towards a 'Busa, but I'm pretty new to them.
Since it will be my first street bike, I am planning on buying used (I'd hate to lay down a brand-new 'Busa). I've found two local listings that have me interested, cause the prices are so low.
I'm hoping to get some input from you pros! :bowdown: :bowdown:

The older of the two is a teal-ish green 2001 Busa GSXR (not sure if there are any other models). Here is his listing:
"The bike has just had a service done by Suzuki of Salt Lake City. The bike has 19800 miles on it. Mods include; HMF carbon fiber high mount exhaust, K&N air filter, dark smoke double bubble wind screen and RC component rims. The bike rides very smooth, and with the lighter rims, handles great"

The second add is for a copper/bronze/orange beautiful 2003 Busa GSXR. He doesn't say much:
"This bike is in excellent cond. All stock, 23,000 miles, newer tires."

I guess my biggest question is if I should be seriously considering these bikes with mileage that high. I know a lot of threads here talk about Busas with 100K+ on them, but 20K miles is still plenty for someone to screw them up.
What are the signs a Busa has been abused or ridden rough for when I go see them?
Anything I should really be nervous about?

Thanks everyone!

Go for the busa....I got mine a while back and Ive been in love wver since. As far as buying either bike, the rule is the same for any bike purchase. Id personally ask someone who owns one or is familiar with sportbikes. Mileage of course is a factor, but depending on how it was ridden and the maintainence it may not be a big deal. Hell if they claim the bike is in good condition, then they souldnt have any objections with letting the serious buyer take it to a local mechanic....although the latter would cost you :laugh:

Great idea, thanks! I actually hadn't even thought about taking them to a mechanic, but maybe I'll truck them (one) on over to the Suzuki shop!
Thanks again!

anyways...ive always checked for tell tell signs of neglect or abuse....check the forks for leaking seals, corrosion or rust, check the chain brakes sprockets, fairings too..check the bar ends, levers, rearsets...those are indicators of intimate road relations if u know what i mean. They probably replaced them if they did lay it though.....of course crank it up...should bust off immediately...dont go for the excuses..."oh shes cold natured" :laugh: Test ride..if they dont want to let ya its usually for a reason...just make sure you got the cash in hand to pay for it if you drop it :poke: i could go on and on but im sure you get my drift

The Busa is a LOT of bike for a beginner, but it is pretty timid under 5k rpm. Where you will notice it most is slow speeds (like parking lot) because of the weight. My little brother rode dirt bikes his whole life (first one was when he was like 9, 21 now), and he got on my Busa (just around the neighborhood), and did fine. He has a GSXR-600 now, and LOVES it (so do I. They are SO much fun). The main reason I got a Busa was because I was going to be doing a lot of 2 up riding with my wife (not together anymore). In my opinion there's not a better sport bike for it (unless maybe a ZX 14, but never rode one of them), because the other sport bikes put the passenger up too high for me. They don't find the back seat too comfortable either. Just make sure you get use to the weight at slow speeds before you throw her on the back, and MAKE SURE she knows to STAY STILL until you are STOPPED ALL THE WAY, or moving faster than 10 mph. Any sudden moves slower than that can lay it down easy. I still don't like giving girls rides for the first few times because they always want to sit up just before you stop, and I almost dump it every time they catch me.

As far as which Busa to get....go with your gut !!
There are some good threads on here you can search about on 2-up riding

GOOD LUCK & WELCOME

Last edited:
There is a whole sticky thread dedicated to this.

A quick summary - the Busa is NOT A GOOD FIRST ROAD BIKE.

It is totally different to a dirt bike.

Get something smaller and cheaper first.

i agree with TROPPO look at a Honda blackbird 2001 or 2002 they are nice and yes much lighter than the busa ride it for app 1 year then switch over to a busa welcome to the site:beerchug:

buy what you want man...its all about makeing you happy...and then...slap that right wrist if it missbehaves!!

You're going to hear a lot of buy a smaller bike buy the busa but it really DOES boil down to what you want and feel comfortable on.

I rode strictly Liter bikes before I stepped up and have never been happier. Im 6ft tall and 215 so even though not AS tall as you, I find it alot more comfortable on long rides and frankly even short rides since I have more room to stretch out.

The key is control and patience...DO NOT take the wife on the back untill you've had some good road time with her, give the relationship of trust time to build for you AND the bike:laugh:before you throw the wife on there.

They dont handle the same (duh) but I only say that because I've known people that for some reason think it's "all the same" and try to maneuver the Busa like it's a dirt bike and that just will not do, it's a different animal all together...

With all that said, there's also good logic in getting an old 600 gsxr or R6 thats pretty cheap just so you can get used to handling a sportbike on the streets but if you do, make sure you dont throw alot if money into it because once you get your skills up to par you will want to step up again...

Soooo let's recap

1. Get what you want
2. TAKE YOUR TIME and learn the bike at a "sane" pace
3. Learn to ride street with your MOST level headed, non ahole friend who rides a sportbike
4. DO NOT rush to get the wife on the back
5. Don't be afraid to ask questions here, were glad to help.
6. BE SAFE
7. ATGATT ESPECIALLY for the wife...you can be an ahole meathead and not wear good gear if you want to, but dont do that to HER. I see sooo many guys geared up and the GF with booty shorts and tennis shoes wtf????

And finally welcome aboard...BTW if you DONT buy a busa stick around because you WILL get one eventually:laugh:

My name is Lycan..and I endorse this message

Oh! One more thing, tell peeps where you are (live like state or general area) and maybe a Busa brother or sister will take some time and ride with you to teach you the ropes..I know I've done that for newbies in MY area.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Last edited:
I'll throw something in

Being on the street now instead of the dirt
Keep your eyes open and be ready for anything
and everything
You may not like that much metal driving next to you
while their TEXTING, PUTING ON MAKEUP, TALKING ON THE PHONE, AND SO ON

Everyone seems quite knowledgeable AND friendly - something that's unheard of in internet forums.

Glad you can see this. Personally I am very proud to be a member here myself and I am planning on getting more involved with the events. I am/was a member of the R1 forums, but theyre all a-holes so, F them.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

I started with a '98 ZX6E, then '97 GSXR 750, then my Busa.
Currently I have an 01' Busa and '07 R1.
I love my R1 but I love the Busa much more.

In my opinion, you cant go wrong with buying a bike your gonna love as your first bike, even if it is the busa. The trick is all about control.

Since you have some riding experience, I think you will be ok. You will pick up all the different things on the road bike faster with the dirt bike experience under your belt.

That said, it is a good idea to wait until you are pretty familiar with your new bike before you take passengers. Also, the busa can get testy under 25mph, and turning will be very wide when you first start riding, so GIVE YOURSELF SPACE. You will be able to tighten up your turning as you get more experienced. It is a heavy bike, it will suck you into the turns with a little bit of leaning (comparatively to my R1). Throttle will help you stand the bike up coming out of the turn. (Use it in moderation)

If you want to play around with speed, start SLOW. slowly slowly slowly work your way up to ripping that throttle. Starting with a 15% rip and adding 10% at a time, you will get use to the complete madness of the power.

As HotFoot said, be OVERLY aware of the vehicles around you. Anticipate that they are going to do something utterly stupid in front or beside you and always be ready to react to it with a SMART reaction. While riding on the road near businesses and streets, ASSUME that some idiot is going to pull out in front of you, and in these situations, always know if a car is on your side so you are aware if you have an 'out' and can make a quick lane change.

As for checking out a bike to purchase:
Go through the gears, make sure your shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd is fluid and doesnt jump out of gear (sign of a wheelie bike) and make sure that when you turn the handlebars from all the way left to all the way right that its fluid and doesnt feel like there is a 'gap' in the turning radius.

Check the rotors (theyre expensive) for deep groves and rust and ease the clutch out real easy to the grip point and make sure is doesnt slip. Start the bike and turn it off 3 times, make sure the battery/starter isnt dead.

Check the fluids, and have him help you stand the bike straight up so you can see the oil level and color. If its between gold and doodoo color, your good. Black or any off color you might have issues.

Thats all i can think of for now. Best of luck

Last edited:
the busa was my first bike. everyone said that i would kill myself own it, but the old saying goes....it'll only go as fast as you twist that throttle. i do a lot of two up riding with the wife and we both love it. get what you want man and just take it easy and practice practice practice.... i've known many a friends to buy 600's learn how to ride it within a year and then they want something more....not that way with the busa

You are too big for a Hayabusa. You might be able to ride it but you will look like one of those bears in the circus riding those tiny motor scooter things.

Get a V-Rod. It has plenty of zip, they are cheap used, you can strech out and your girlfriend will thank you for your consideration.

FWIW, I own a '07 Busa and a Harley FXST. I've been riding since 1963...

You are too big for a Hayabusa. You might be able to ride it but you will look like one of those bears in the circus riding those tiny motor scooter things.

Get a V-Rod. It has plenty of zip, they are cheap used, you can strech out and your girlfriend will thank you for your consideration.

too big.....i'm 6'4" as well and i fit on her fine with my wife on the back.....there are several of us bigger guys on here that own a busa that will disagree with you...who ever told you that must have been smoking dope

A Hayabusa was my 1st bike so i say go for it...i learn how to ride a bike on a busa for before i went to take lessons...so either way its up to you...and im 6'3 250 lbs and i rode a 750-100 gsxr and some Yama's and Cow's :laugh:....and the hayabusa is just the one for me :thumbsup:

Good day bro, actually I was thinking like what u r thinking right now I was in love with the busa years ago but need some one to push me a step ... Last year I decide to go ahead but my friends was telling me to not go with the busa as a first bike ! And to try the ZX6 for 2-3 yrs then to shift to the busa .... Then I bought ZX10 and can't look to the busa when it comes near to me :(
After 9 months I decide to shift to my love and bought the busa then I found the busa is much much much safer and smoother than the small bikes ! So I can tell you go ahead for the busa but at least u should know the basics. All the best with ur choice and take care.

Couple things.

Both those bikes have been repainted for one reason or another, Make sure its not the other and because it has been crashed and has frame problems or even a salvaged title. It may just be they wanted them a different color and I hope thats the case. Just beware.

As for the Busa being your first street bike, as big a guy as you are, you probably wont be comfortable on anything other than a Busa or a ZX14,

Just remember the bike is only as fast as YOU want it to be.

too big.....i'm 6'4" as well and i fit on her fine with my wife on the back.....there are several of us bigger guys on here that own a busa that will disagree with you...who ever told you that must have been smoking dope

Around here, ALL the BIG guys have Hayabusas. I feel tiny on mine compared to them.

The Busa will do you fine. :thumbsup:

Back