new to busas with some questions about exhaust

squale147

Registered
hi every one.. i dont know a whole lot about busas and want to know is it worth doing slip on or full?? and how about the cat..is it in the mufflers?? and is it better to run the duel or single exhaust??also what are some of the basic mods??pipe bazzaz, gearing,?? thank you all for helping the newbi out..:beerchug:

First, welcome to the site. Second, what year bike are we talking about, Gen 1 or 2? Third, what do you want to do with the bike?

Gen1 is 99-07, gen2 is 08-11. (Sorry to ramble, just unsure of which you have)Gen2 has a catalytic converter, gen1 does not. The converter is on the bottom of the header. Slip on mufflers will give you about 2 hp(you'll never notice the diffrence in power, you may notice the weight difference depending on what you have), and a full exhaust will give you around 10. These are just ballpark average numbers, every exhaust system and bike will vary. Slip ons are really just for looks, sound, and to save weight. It's easy to lose 10 to 15lbs off a gen2 with slip ons. Slip ons require no tuning, such as a power commander or better yet, the ECU Editor from site sponsor Boostbysmith.com(check it out, by far the best and cheapest way to tune a bike)
A full exhaust does not NEED any sort of tune either, the bike will not run lean or damage the engine in any way. However the bike will run much better with a tune. From what I've seen gen2 bikes seem to run better untuned than the gen1's do.
As far as a "tune" goes, you can have a basic fuel map for whatever exhaust you buy downloaded into your power commander. Boostbysmith offers all their previous made uploaded maps for free as well. These maps will make your bike run much better. The only way to get the bike to run at it's best is to have it tuned on a dynomometer, and by someone with a reputation that knows what they're doing. Depending on where you live, someone here can recommend a good tuner that is closest to you. Prices vary, but $250 to $400 seems average for the basic pipe/air filter tune. You will notice an improvement in hp, torque, and overall smoothness in idle and power delivery. A full exhaust, air filter, power commander/ecu editor with a dyno tune is well worth it if you can afford it.
If you like dual mufflers you can buy ANY brand you want and buy a Vance&Hines stainless steel header for $450. The V&H header works with ALL mufflers, including stock. It's available for gen1 or 2(the exhaust between the gen1 and 2 are different) and it doesn't have a catalytic converter. No full exhaust has a converter in it. The only full dual muffler exhaust as a complete system are Ti-Force, Brock's, and Akrapovic. The rest of the full systems are single muffler, and there are ALOT of different manufactures. Rule of thumb is that a full dual muffler system will make more low to midrange power as where a full single system will make more hp at high rpm's. The differnce though is minimal. The best thing you can do for exhaust is to look around at lots of them and pick out what YOU like the looks of best. Then find out how loud they are. Some are very quiet like stock and others are very loud. Sound clips on Youtube can't allow you to hear exactly what they really sound like either. A dragstrip is a good place to hear alot of them. Opinions on them vary, but there are lots of different setups on here. People will be glad to show you what they have.
I also gutted the catalytic converter on my gen2. It put out entirely too much heat and my feet are much cooler in the summer now.
If you have any questions, just ask. Most folks on here are glad to help. This is the best site to find out out anything Hayabusa.:beerchug:

First, welcome to the site. Second, what year bike are we talking about, Gen 1 or 2? Third, what do you want to do with the bike?

sorry about that..its a 09.. the bike is going to be a street bike so nothing crazy..just want it to have some sound and clean power curve..

thanks sixpack577..i have been lookin at some exhausts already..im likin the akra,2-bros..i am going to want to loose the cat so i guess ill be going with a full for sure..what do you think of the muzzy exhaust???i used to use alot of his pipes back in the 90s but havent hade a chance to see what his newer pipes are about..

Full, slipons provide very little anything. Brock's is hard to beat as far as value goes. Well made pipe, well designed pipe, not a lot of money. Make sure you check out all the available information. Mine runs 109 db and while I personally like it, it gets way to much attention in all the bad ways. You can go just about anyway you want on programming. The PC works, the bazazz works better and reflashing the factory ecu is probably the best way to go. They all work. Single side advantage is probably weight and not much else. I'm a single sided guy, but that's me. My exhaust system went from 40+ pounds to 7 pounds from what I've read. Good luck.

Full, slipons provide very little anything. Brock's is hard to beat as far as value goes. Well made pipe, well designed pipe, not a lot of money. Make sure you check out all the available information. Mine runs 109 db and while I personally like it, it gets way to much attention in all the bad ways. You can go just about anyway you want on programming. The PC works, the bazazz works better and reflashing the factory ecu is probably the best way to go. They all work. Single side advantage is probably weight and not much else. I'm a single sided guy, but that's me. My exhaust system went from 40+ pounds to 7 pounds from what I've read. Good luck.

thanks for the info..im using a bazzaz on my 750 and must say i really like it.i think im going with the single side myself.. did you feel the weight difference when you rode your bike after the install??

thanks sixpack577..i have been lookin at some exhausts already..im likin the akra,2-bros..i am going to want to loose the cat so i guess ill be going with a full for sure..what do you think of the muzzy exhaust???i used to use alot of his pipes back in the 90s but havent hade a chance to see what his newer pipes are about..

I like them and I've had them before. They make good power if you like how they look and sound already.

^^^Good choice going with full system. Go all the way and get a good one. Much cheaper than doing an upgrade later.

you guys are great..thank you for all the info..how about the brocks??i hear god things with them but i never used there pipes

does any one know how the m4 exhaust works on the busa/??

I have m4 slip on's

They come with baffles so you can take them out if you like, or put them in for a quieter ride.

I dont run with baffles.

They are pretty loud, louder than yoshi's

Brocks is suppose to be pretty loud, but they cost more.

D&D's are cheap, two versions, race or street, no baffles though

Having baffles available sold me cause I was considering the D&D

I have m4 slip on's

They come with baffles so you can take them out if you like, or put them in for a quieter ride.

I dont run with baffles.

They are pretty loud, louder than yoshi's

Brocks is suppose to be pretty loud, but they cost more.

D&D's are cheap, two versions, race or street, no baffles though

Having baffles available sold me cause I was considering the D&D

thanks..im likin the m4 also..do they have a deep sound? or they have a high pitch?? i like the deep sound of an exhaust..

Id say the M'4's are deep at idle, but scream at higher rpm's.

Perhaps less with baffles, who knows

Brocks sounds good, I just dont care for the look and they are really pricey.

And I like having the baffle option

The links above are fair comparisons.

im thinking the akra or 2 bros...

This is the Akrapovic I want, it's available with stainless or titanium mufflers too. They claim over 11 hp on their website.

1810-1532-akrapovic-racing-line-full-exhaust-with-dual-hexagonal-canister.jpg

Gen1 is 99-07, gen2 is 08-11. (Sorry to ramble, just unsure of which you have)Gen2 has a catalytic converter, gen1 does not. The converter is on the bottom of the header. Slip on mufflers will give you about 2 hp(you'll never notice the diffrence in power, you may notice the weight difference depending on what you have), and a full exhaust will give you around 10.

If you have any questions, just ask. Most folks on here are glad to help. This is the best site to find out out anything Hayabusa.:beerchug:

How about the stock exhaust system for Gen1 (fuel consumption etc.) Does the full exhaust modification with the headers realy gains 10hp?

Back