New to Busas, need help!

subzeroheat

Registered
Hail Busa!

I have never owned a Busa before(Suzuki katana-600 so far). Any suggestions on getting started with a Busa?

I got a quote from a local dealer(A&B xtreme suzuki, ohio) for $9,960 for a new 2005 model.
Not sure if I wanna go ahead with a new one or keep looking for a used one..
looking at insurance and stuff..brand new looks expensive. any suggestions?
what should I watch out for while looking at a used one?
thanx...

First off, welcome to the board. I can't help too much on what to look for when buying a used one. I bought my 2004 new back in March of 2004. I've never really been that confident in buying a used sportbike. Something about it just doesn't seem right to me. But however, I'm more than positive that somebody out here will have the answers for you.

you have to look at a few things how old are you and will you need full coverage or not that can be as much or more than the bike payment also if you are going to finance or pay cash

buying used is good but you have to check out the bike and the owner some people you can look at them and tell they ragged out the bike see if you know anyone that knows the owner and see how they ride and how they take care of their bikes
rock.gif
buying from dealer will be more expensive just depends onif you want to go with dealer might get some other perks from them depends on how bad they want to get rid of it ? just try to take your time and do some looking around ...
cool.gif

WHen i bought my busa used i check tires chains lower parts of startor covers, for falls, exhaust tips and handle bars alos mirrors for tipovers. I was told my bike had not been tipped over but after i started pointing these things out it became a slow fall. Just look for any kind of damage if you decide to go used. Also with the busa being unchanged you can get a 99 or 05 and have the same bike except a couple of minor changes

I agree with everyone but I will say this. I bought my 03 brand new becuase after seeing my friends ride and basically everyone I know ride I would NEVER want someone elses bike. It would be hard to find a used busa someone hasn't ragged out. If you have the time to look around you might find some yuppy that bought the bike and had it scare the hell out of him so he is selling it with like 200 miles on it. If you want a good bike fast I would look for a dealer with a cheap price AND the 48 month warranty to. Spend less time worrying about problems and more time riding that way. My .02

Things to consider when buying used are (only my things):

- Confidence in seller
- Price of bike
- Visual inspection
- Tires, appearance, mileage, mods, chainwear, bar ends, stator cover, exhaust

There are some good deals on used bikes, but you do have to be careful. Check them out as much as possible and ask as many questions as you need to. Don't be afraid, but don't get caught up by a cheaper price either.

Just my $.02.

Welcome to the board.
If you find a 99 or 00 make sure the recalls were done.
99s Fuel pump and cam chain tensioner
00s cam chain tensioner

Things to consider when buying used are (only my things):  

- Confidence in seller
- Price of bike
- Visual inspection
    - Tires, appearance, mileage, mods, chainwear, bar ends, stator cover, exhaust

There are some good deals on used bikes, but you do have to be careful.  Check them out as much as possible and ask as many questions as you need to.  Don't be afraid, but don't get caught up by a cheaper price either.

Just my $.02.
Good advice.

To add to it:
I like to ask the seller some questions about the bike to see if he really took care of it or not. Like oil change intervals, etc.
I run my hands along the bottom of the bike to feel for scuffs or scratches from slow falls/accidents. If you touch the side of the swingarm, bottom of the forks/calipers, stator and engine covers and the exhaust cans. You may not be able to see it, but you can feel it. Anyone can replace bodywork and make the bike look new after it has been wrecked, dont forget that.
Check the tires for wear, you can tell a lot about how a person rides by looking has his tires, chicken strips, etc.
I look at the oil, see how clean it is.
Crank it, listen.
Ride it! If he won't let you ride the bike, he doesn't want to sell it bad enough. How else are you going to check and see if it rides straight and true?

Most of the time, since these darn things keep their value so well, you might as well buy a new one....................unless you can find one that a little old lady owned and kept covered in her garage!!!
tounge.gif

Since you mentioned expensive you may really need to reconsider the Busa...Depending on your age and insurance requirement the combination of the two mey overwhelm you...For me to buy a used bike I would have to be getting a hell of a deal...Like some of the others have stated the price of a new bike is not much different from what some are asking for used ones...For the most part Busa owners take great pride in their purchase and are methodical about it's maintenance...Stray away from straight up race bikes (if it's setup for track only no telling what has been done or could be wrong with it)...And as the others have offered look, feel, listen and ride...
evil.gif

thanx for all the feedback folks!

After some careful research, looks like buying a new one seems better in many ways...used ones aint cheaper than a couple of thousand $$ as compared to a brand new one. I turned 25 and insurance looks cheaper! plus the new Suzuki financing looks good..$99 a month.

Any suggestions on how to handle a brand new busa, how to break-in the new bike, things to watch out for etc.??

subzeroheat, You want to buy yourself a Hayabusa... Thats GOOD, my suggestion go for a New one! I know it looks a lil bit expensive... but my experience, Brand new machines will eventually pay you in the long run
wink.gif
Just my .02

Back