new here

If you do get a pre 2002 make sure the clutch has been converted I hear they are a little abrupt. It is something they corrected in the post 2001 models.

Not to hijack this thread, but for everyone's benefit, can you elaborate? I have a 2000 and the clutch is as smooth as silk.

Not to hijack this thread, but for everyone's benefit, can you elaborate? I have a 2000 and the clutch is as smooth as silk.

my 99s clutch was more of a switch , try pulling away with any aggression it would launch you skyward, the clutch stack on later models is different , i bought the 3 plates needed to covert from suzuki for £33 and is now smooth as silk .
believe me if you have an early one not modded you would know :whistle:

Another thing, my friends said I should go on a motorbike course, to get back in the swing of riding again, I said no I'll be ok. The next time I saw the same friends after I got the bike, my first words were I wish I had gone on the course you were saying I should go on.

Also I considered getting another not so heavy bike without a fairing to practice on, as like I said the bike felt so heavy I thought I would drop it, and I had never ridden a bike with a fairing on and that also seemed strange.
So I posted up the problems I had here on the org, and the replies I got helped me so much. I went over to the car park and practiced, and found out the weight was not at all bad, and the bike was stable at slow speeds, and when cornering, which gave my a lot of confidence.

my 99s clutch was more of a switch , try pulling away with any aggression it would launch you skyward, the clutch stack on later models is different , i bought the 3 plates needed to covert from suzuki for £33 and is now smooth as silk .
believe me if you have an early one not modded you would know :whistle:

I never knew that. I guess I'm just fortunate.

Another thing, my friends said I should go on a motorbike course, to get back in the swing of riding again, I said no I'll be ok. The next time I saw the same friends after I got the bike, my first words were I wish I had gone on the course you were saying I should go on.

Also I considered getting another not so heavy bike without a fairing to practice on, as like I said the bike felt so heavy I thought I would drop it, and I had never ridden a bike with a fairing on and that also seemed strange.
So I posted up the problems I had here on the org, and the replies I got helped me so much. I went over to the car park and practiced, and found out the weight was not at all bad, and the bike was stable at slow speeds, and when cornering, which gave my a lot of confidence.

Yup. I gave my 92 Katana to my nephew a few weeks ago. The only thing that he has ridden is a scooter. I told him to call me when he was ready to learn how to ride the Katana. He, and his dad (who owns the scooter), decided that he didn't need any lessons and that the experience on the scooter was good enough. He started the bike and got ready for his first ride. The first thing he did was release the clutch abruptly while rolling on the throttle. The bike launched with the front end lifting off...and throwing my nephew to the ground. The bike kept going and finally fell over on its left side, destroying what was once perfect fairings, the windshield, left turn signal, and a small scrape on the left exhaust. I found out about it yesterday, after the fact. And not from my nephew who was too embarrassed to tell me about it. A new left fairing, windshield and turn signal will fix the bike but it just goes to show that even an underpowered Katana can be dangerous for someone who "thinks" they have enough experience to ride a street bike without ever actually having ridden one, prior.

well most of our roads have a 40mph limit there are some 60mph but the max you can go here is 70mph
so speed is not really a prob

the other thing is i can keep buying bikes if i buy say a CBR600 then im stuck with it for a long time as they dont sell well here
so its hard to know what to do
its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.... buddy of mine has a little 250 enduro and that ting is a blast at the 125kmh or so that it can carry me down the highway, and as far as speed limits go... umm... well i know a guy that looks a lot like me, and has the same 2010 blue hayabusa that i have, and hes always saying how its hard to obey speed limits on a machine that can exceed pretty much any speed limit in first gear

:welcome: to the org.

I have never ridden a gen1 but I am sure it would suit you fine too. I took the Motorcycle safety course and did not ride my then 0 miles brand new Kawasaki zx6r sitting in storage until I completed the course. Rode the zx6r for two months sold it and bought a gen2 busa. I loved it!!!!! Best motorcycle in the world!!! Keep a cool head, go easy and take your time riding within your limits. Practice emergency and slow skills often and the busa will be good to you:) I say you will be fine on a busa after a safety course. I actually felt safer and more comfortable riding the busa than the zx6r. I was quite surprised when I rode it 350miles home from the dealer. Based on all I heard about it being too much for a newbie I was blown away to find that it fit my 6'4" frame very well and I found it very easy to handle at slow speeds and cruising the highway.
Cheers:)

hmmm thinking about this and i may take the advice of some of you and get a cbr600

If you do, still stick around the org . I found that in my early days after a while my old 750s etc became second nature and i started to find them boring because they didnt scare me any more . Hand on heart the busa still scares me 6 years on , no matter how fast you seem to go it will always be quicker the next time :laugh:

Hand on heart the busa still scares me 6 years on , no matter how fast you seem to go it will always be quicker the next time :laugh:

Ain't that the truth! I was on the freeway today, just lugging in 6th gear at 70mph (~3900 RM) and decided to see what would happen if I just jumped on the throttle. I was expecting it to start accelerating slowly. Wrong! As soon as I jumped on the throttle the bike growled and I felt myself sliding back on the seat. I looked down at the speedo in what couldn't have been more than a second or two and the needle was just passing 100mph. Of course I backed off at that point because it felt like the busa wasn't going to let up anytime soon. :omg:

By the way, I have a speedohealer so the speeds mentioned are actual speeds.

Back