new here

attilathethumb

Registered
hello all i dont have this bike yet but i am saving for it :laugh: i have ridden off road for years but im now sorting out on road
i have been to rally's and so on so im reading to do my CBT got to start somewhere

then ill sort my fall test i have looked around on ebay.uk a bit to get an idea of price a 2000 model i have seen for £2500. ish

what is a good model to look at in terms of year

all advice welcome thank you

Welcome to the Org.

I don't want to discourage you but are you sure getting a Busa is a wise choice for your first street bike? I started out riding dirt bikes as well. Street bikes are a totally different animal. You might want to start with a less powerful, more forgiving, used bike for a while while you get used to riding on the street.

My first street experience was on a Honda SL100 Enduro. I had no problem off road but was initially apprehensive about riding it in the street. Unlike off road, the streets are loaded with people driving heavy metal things - all trying to kill you. Okay, that last part was a little exaggerated...they probably are trying to kill you on purpose.

yeah i understand thats why i have bought a 100cc scooter to get me going as i save and get used to the road
i do understand what your saying though i do think some of them TRY to kill you

:welcome: guess your in the uk ? were you from ? i have a 99 busa and love it , although the 99 - 2000 models can be a little troublesome . i have over come these glitches on mine and it runs superb , you would do better to look at 2002 models on .:laugh:

yeah i understand thats why i have bought a 100cc scooter to get me going as i save and get used to the road
i do understand what your saying though i do think some of them TRY to kill you

Honestly, riding a scooter and riding a full on street bike are still worlds apart in how they handle, in my opinion...especially at higher speeds.

:welcome: guess your in the uk ? were you from ? i have a 99 busa and love it , although the 99 - 2000 models can be a little troublesome . i have over come these glitches on mine and it runs superb , you would do better to look at 2002 models on .:laugh:

The only "trouble" I've had with my 2000 Busa is that I can rarely take it out of 5th gear on the freeways. 5th gear just goes too fast! :laugh:

well most of our roads have a 40mph limit there are some 60mph but the max you can go here is 70mph
so speed is not really a prob

the other thing is i can keep buying bikes if i buy say a CBR600 then im stuck with it for a long time as they dont sell well here
so its hard to know what to do

Follow these rules and you will be able to ride whatever you choose
1. Go to a motorcycle racing school
2. NEVER race on the streets
3. Try to ride at off peak hours (low traffic hours)
4. Be cautious at intersections
5. ALWAYS, always, always wear FULL riding gear (very important)
6. Be very cautious the first two years of ownership (stats say they are the most risky)
7. Do Not ride with Risk Takers (sorry to say it but they are dead men/women riding)
8. Know where you are going before you leave plan your route to and from
9. Maintain your bike (get the best mechanic, dometimes you get what you pay for)
10. Know that you are the pilot and when things go wrong the blame may just laying at your feet (180+ MPH will not happen unless you twist the throttle stick to the speed limit it saves lifes)

I'm sure more riles will be added but the ultimate safety measure is you be prepaired be properly trained and then experience will make you and those around you safe. I know experienced riders who have terrible riding habits they are just lucky. Ride safe and Welcome

well most of our roads have a 40mph limit there are some 60mph but the max you can go here is 70mph
so speed is not really a prob

the other thing is i can keep buying bikes if i buy say a CBR600 then im stuck with it for a long time as they dont sell well here
so its hard to know what to do

Well I guess a question would be: would you really get enjoyment out of a busa if most of the time you're going 40mph? Or, would you get more enjoyment out of a lighter but still powerful CBR600, R6, or a GSXR 600... or even SV650? Obviously the decision is ultimately yours.

I started out with a dirtbike then went straight for the busa. Everyone told me to get something smaller but well I'm stubborn, I took my time and learned how she ran and patience. I personally didn't want to waste my time and money and something I didn't want. Best of luck in your decision. Also welcome to the org

Remember my friend public roads are not for speeding again i say stick to the speed limit, it saves lives and if you need a high every now and then take it to the track. Any bike is manageable its all about the rider. what i would caution you about on a 1300cc bike applies to a 250cc bike only difference is the top speed. Question, which would be safer a well trained rider on a busa within the speed limit or that same rider on a ninja 250 doing 95 in a 45? Yes its ALL about the rider. choose what you are comfortable with my friend as you can see the one thing all the posts have in common is your well being. keep safe

Welcome to the oRg, personally I would look at anything above the 02 model year. :welcome:

lots of sound advice here and i thank you for taking the time to post it
this is why i joined here as i have lots of time to make my mined up i thought i would get as much info as i can before i buy

Welcome to the org, from another UK member.

I was on this site for about 9 months before I got my Busa.
I hadn't rode a bike for thirty odd years. A GS750

I thought I could just jump on the bike, ride and that would be that.
But no, I had a problem with the weight of the thing, turning left or right, I thought I would drop it. But with the help of people on this site and some practice, I soon sorted it out.
But now I've had the bike for nearly a year I'm quite comfortable with it, but still learning.

As to if you should get a Busa as a first road bike, that's up to you, but if you are anything like me, I wouldn't have been happy with anything else.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Why is everyone so discouraging someone from a busa.I have ridden dirt for years before I bought mine.Its not my first bike but my first one in years for the street.Its a maturity level and respect for riding and the machine.I say start out big.I started on liter bikes.

I don't think anyone is discouraging him necessarily. We're just giving him food for thought. Let's face it, the busa is not a very forgiving bike and is more likely to bite you if you make a mistake.

For example, if I rolled on the throttle quickly on my '92 Katana 600 in 1st gear, its no big deal. If I did the same maneuver on the busa it could easily become a power wheelie and get to 80+ mph in a very short amount of time. This could be a totally accidental move...maybe going over a bump, or a dip in the road where you fall back a little and accidentally apply the throttle. Of course with experience, that is less likely to happen.

These are all just points that he may want to consider while making his decision. I'm sure he'll make the decision that is best for him and if that's a busa, then great!

:welcome: to the oRg. I've owned an '06 ( 36K miles ) and an '08 ( 25K miles ) Gen II gets my vote '08 up.

Welcome to the Org. I always counsel my buddies to get something that is cheap to repair when you drop it. One buddy didn't take me up on my offer to help take the plastics off for the first year. Now I get to help him with plastic repair. It gives us reason to convert it to flush mount blinkers.

These bikes can be nice and easy to ride it just depends on your right wrist. If you do get a pre 2002 make sure the clutch has been converted I hear they are a little abrupt. It is something they corrected in the post 2001 models.

Back