New gixxer 400?

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
Stopped by the dealership the other day to pick up some parts. My sales guy told me that his Suzuki rep told him they would be coming out with a Gixxer 400 this year. He didn't have much info beyond that.

I asked him what was the market for that bike. By it's size it has to be focused on a beginner, but, if it had a fair amount of the Gixxer heritage it might be a cool little bike.

cool.gif
A 400 huh? It's probably just a 600 w/o the steroids.

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: "o b4 i"|1153663540 -->

I had a 400 Bandit in my teen years and the engine was derived off the GSXR 400 engine. That bike has been produced overseas for years. Don't know about the Gixxer but if it is anything like the Bandit, it should be an awesome bike to learn on. I liked mine and it had a good deal of power to be so small. It would run with a 600 Katana. My son will be ready to start riding in about 4 years. I hope there is still a good beginner bike out there then.

isn't MotoGP going to 800s in a few years? maybe there's a covert plan to lower all bike sizes. and, KAW kinda owns the low end sport market with their sporty 250 and 500, maybe SUZ want's some of that pie! and and gas prices getting high maybe smaler engines are IN. will be interesting

My wife really wants to get a bike so that we can ride together, neither one of us like the 2 up thing. We have been looking at the GS500f. She doesn't want a cruiser looking bike. We will be waiting to see if the Gixxer 400 appears, that would be an awsome place for her to start, if I can lower it enough. She is only 5'2".

Don

I think smaller engine bikes are shorter already. I think even the KAW 250 would be fun AND it is full fairing
2229_800.jpg

WWJD, they are a little shorter but she can't flat foot that bike, we tried yesterday. She doesn't like that way that bike feels. She likes the GS500F, but $5100 for her to (a) not like (b) drop. Not sure about that.

Don

My wife really wants to get a bike so that we can ride together, neither one of us like the 2 up thing.  We have been looking at the GS500f.  She doesn't want a cruiser looking bike.  We will be waiting to see if the Gixxer 400 appears, that would be an awsome place for her to start, if I can lower it enough.  She is only 5'2".

Don
Everything I have read about the SV line has been good. To big?

hogger...

Hogger, she actually sat on an SV that was in the second hole of 3 hole bones at the dealership it was still a little high, but it could have been lowered one more hole and would have been fine. She didn't like the way the bike looked. She wants a sport bike looking bike, not a street fighter looking bike.

Don

My Wife is 5'3" she rides a CBR 600 F4i - we lowered it 2 inches - perfect fit & the best thing is it only weighs 375. She had a 97 Katana for her 1st bike - way to heavy 430 pounds. She loves the CBR.

i want to teach the old lady to ride...but she trips on air....need help here

If the GSXR400, if real, is based on the old CBR400RR of old, I would say it would not be a good starter bike.

This is simply due to the way-to-high revs need to make power. I am going from memory here, and that cant be good, lol. I believe the redline on the 400rr was 18k or higher.

Me thinks a EX250/500, GSX600, GS500 would be a better starter machine.

I believe the GSXR400 would be based on more of a track/curvy road weapon. Geared more for the more experienced riders.

On the other hand maybe this is the start of a graduated licensing program in the USA. If a system like that was in place, the big four will make better lower cc machines....

I agree that the market positioning of the bike (depending upon how it is configured - sport or very beginnerish) has me confused. I assume the reality of the GSXR400 (and any details) will become evident at the dealer show at the end of september.

Back