New Busa Owner

JK308

Registered
Hello everyone!

I have been signed up and trolling for a bit and figured I might as well introduce myself. My name is Jon Koopman, am 47 years old, and live in Western Idaho. I started riding when I was about 10 years old on anything I could sneak away on but mostly dirt bikes. In my mid teens I did a bit of racing on RM 125s and had a great time until one particularly bad crash that caused my mother to revoke her blessings for the activity. Needless to say I continued riding and racing behind her back...I'm sure she knew but she never said anything.

Just after I married my lovely wife in 1990 I bought my first two street bikes, '84 and '85 Honda V65 Magnas. Nice machines but I wanted to learn how to sport ride. Next came an unloved '95 GSX-R 750. Not sure why I picked it but something about it spoke to me at the time. I rode the 750 for about three years and brought it back to the beauty it should have been maintained as all along. Next came a brand new 2001 GSX-R 1000. What a machine! During my three years on the 1000 I joined a great group of mature and talented sport riders in the Boise area who taught me how to truly enjoy such a beast. That bike took me on weekend rides through the canyons, week-long road trips, and several track days. Various family and financial pressures forced me to sell it in 2004. :banghead:

Ten years later, the three kids all grown, it was finally time for another bike. As I am older now, I wanted something more comfortable, yet still able to get the job done with a good twist as only a long-stroke motor can. I had always been fascinated with the Hayabusa but only knew what I had read on spec sheets...wrinkling my nose at the wet weight numbers...no, I had never ridden one. We found a well-cared for '07 at a local dealer...all black and stunning. The sales guy is family and was eager for me to take it for a ride...evil genius that one is. I was amazed at how easily it maneuvers at slow speed. I swear it loses 100 pounds once it's rolling and, oh my, does it move! A few signatures and I am on my way home with a grin I had not known in years. In my best Richard Hammond voice I proclaimed "...and I shall call her, Betty!"

I'm not the sort that looks to modify my vehicles. Whenever one of my friends points out some "cool" mod for my old 3 series, my response is: "If it needed it, it would have come from Bavaria already attached". So with that in mind, mods will be few. Some 1" bar risers are on the way and I am now trying to fabricate a mount for my V1. Possibly some new cans in the future as well.

The org is awesome and I am pleased to be among so many knowledgeable, like-minded riders! :bigsmile:

47 & kids all grown. Dang. Time to start the next chapter of your life. With a Busa. :welcome:

Welcome, I also have a E46 three series and for the car, I agree leave it stock.

But for the bike, stock cans and other simple mods are a must. I have 2 sets of risers on mine, Heli and 1 inch risers!

Enjoy

BB

Back