New Busa Owner From England

icemanbusa

Registered
Hello All.

Best regards and warm (iceman) wishes from this fair isle of England.

I am 'iceman' and (obviously) am born and bred of England. I am 49 years old and passed my bike test when i was 16. I proceeded to own a Yamaha 50cc moped and latterly, a Suzuki 550 and then, after just under 3 years of riding, moved abroad and my biking experience stopped there. I am happy to announce my return to two wheels via the 1999 busa (black and gun-metal grey/silver) that i have just (a few weeks ago) purchased.

I saw her and fell in love. I realise that after a 32 year break from riding, a busa is probably not the best bike to return via but i am showing her a lot of respect and am allowing confidence and speed to grow in balance with miles and skill.

I have a lot of learning to do on the roads and a lot of reading to do on the forum but wanted to pop-in and introduce myself.

Hello to all...

..iceman

Hello All.
I saw her and fell in love. I realise that after a 32 year break from riding, a busa is probably not the best bike to return via but i am showing her a lot of respect and am allowing confidence and speed to grow in balance with miles and skill.

Good man. Yes, that's quite the platform to leap back upon after a 32 year absence, no question. :welcome:

Good man. Yes, that's quite the platform to leap back upon after a 32 year absence, no question. :welcome:
Hello Warchild.

Thank you for your welcome.

I realise what a leap it is but a leap of faith none the less. I'm old enough and ugly enough to grow with the bike, i thought if i don't do it now then i never will. Besides, i like to jump in the deep end and learn to swim from there, so it's quite my usual style.

There's been no surprises, she's all as much a purring monster that she looks but i must admit, i was unprepared for how much my palms hurt after just a few miles (i'm sure there will be some tips i can search for though).

Thank you once again.

Best wishes...

:welcome: aboard!!!
Just take it easy while you get use to again, remember that the busa likes to kick:laugh:

Welcome to the oRg. We would love to see pics if you have them. :welcome:
Hello twotonevert.

Many thanks for your welcome.

I have some photographs that i saved from the internet advert that first introduced me to her, i'll post those up but want to get some nicer/proper ones done soon, so will add those when they are ready/done.

I'll be back with the advert photographs soon (have to pop-out for an hour).

Best regards...

Hello twotonevert.

Many thanks for your welcome.

I have some photographs that i saved from the internet advert that first introduced me to her, i'll post those up but want to get some nicer/proper ones done soon, so will add those when they are ready/done.

I'll be back with the advert photographs soon (have to pop-out for an hour).

Best regards...

Sound good. Also, you said you had discomfort in your hands. A good technique is to use your legs and stomach to support your upper body. The grips are simply a place to put your hands. Dont hold on too tight and relax your grip. That should help. Also, the more you ride the more your body will become conditioned to the posture you will be in while riding.

Welcome to the Madness! Sounds like you will fit in just fine! Looking forward to the pics!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the org.
You sound like me, I didn't ride for 30 odd years.
When I got the Busa it took me quite a while to get used to it, especially turning left or right, felt like I was going to drop the bike because it was heavy, but people on the org helped me a lot, and I'm a lot more comfortable with her now.

Welcome! A lot has changed since that last ride of yours, but sounds like you are doing the right thing in getting to know the girl. Make sure to post up some pics!

Sound good. Also, you said you had discomfort in your hands. A good technique is to use your legs and stomach to support your upper body. The grips are simply a place to put your hands. Dont hold on too tight and relax your grip. That should help. Also, the more you ride the more your body will become conditioned to the posture you will be in while riding.
Hello twotonevert.

Thank you very much for your advise. I did come to that stance as a natural conclusion but (perhaps due to either age or height) i have found that i'm merely swapping one pain for another and am now alternating between bent elbows and palms, to knee and pressing down on the foot pegs. I've also looked into buying some gloves with gel padding on the palms, so think that i will give those a try too (they seem to be quite inexpensive). I really don't have the want or will to raise the bars, so guess i'll just have to keep trying to find comfort.

I've found those photographs and will attempt to post them now...

item.JPG

item.JPG

I'm sure she's nothing special to you guys that have seen them all but to me, she's my baby.

Best regards...

Last edited:
Welcome to the Madness! Sounds like you will fit in just fine! Looking forward to the pics!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Good Evening motochris.

Thank you for your welcome.

'Madness' is my middle name (well...not really but you get my gist).

I'm sorry the photographs do not do her justice but, for now, they're all i have at my disposal [/more to follow soon'ish]

Best regards...

:welcome: and very nice scoot :thumbsup:

Check into grip puppies or get some gel wrap for tennis rackets grips. They will both increase the size of the grips and give cushion as well.

tapatalked

Welcome to the org.
You sound like me, I didn't ride for 30 odd years.
When I got the Busa it took me quite a while to get used to it, especially turning left or right, felt like I was going to drop the bike because it was heavy, but people on the org helped me a lot, and I'm a lot more comfortable with her now.
Good Evening newman.

Nice to know i'm not alone to have made a busa as a choice to return after so long. I know what you mean about the turning but must admit, i think she looks heavier than she actually is (or perhaps i'm just stronger than i thought lol). I'm quite tall though, so have a good ground foot-hold from the sitting position but must admit, if i were shorter, i think i'd struggle somewhat. I love the way she so easily looses that weight in motion though, very well balanced.

Best regards...

Back