Needing to vent - Lockdown again (apologies to all)

So, back to the original post, which really wasn't about Govt or vaccine (or not), or Red vs blue or any of that stuff..

Announced this morning our lockdown has been extended for another 7 days. Another 7 days of no friends, no family, no visitors, no restaurants for a meal, no catch up with mates. Stay at home, don't travel more than 5kms from home or else..

496 days since the first lockdown started in Melbourne in 2020 and today is the 202nd day of being locked down since. That's not including draconian restrictions like no elective surgery or seeing your family.

202 DAYS. that's 202 days of kids missing growing up, their friends, and more importantly, their school. This goes for all levels of schooling.
Excuse me while I go see my neurologist who went through Uni doing remote learning..

I'm now getting calls and msgs from friends who are at their whit's end and don't know how to cope any more. All I can do is talk to them as we're not allowed to go and sit with them.

The state govt is under the impression that with Delta, they can get to zero cases or transmission - while the experts have said they can't and need to find a way to co-exist.
So the general consensus is we will be in and out of forced lockdown indefinitely.

Try some serious FaceTime and Zoom calls with friends and relatives.

So, back to the original post, which really wasn't about Govt or vaccine (or not), or Red vs blue or any of that stuff..

Announced this morning our lockdown has been extended for another 7 days. Another 7 days of no friends, no family, no visitors, no restaurants for a meal, no catch up with mates. Stay at home, don't travel more than 5kms from home or else..

496 days since the first lockdown started in Melbourne in 2020 and today is the 202nd day of being locked down since. That's not including draconian restrictions like no elective surgery or seeing your family.

202 DAYS. that's 202 days of kids missing growing up, their friends, and more importantly, their school. This goes for all levels of schooling.
Excuse me while I go see my neurologist who went through Uni doing remote learning..

I'm now getting calls and msgs from friends who are at their whit's end and don't know how to cope any more. All I can do is talk to them as we're not allowed to go and sit with them.

The state govt is under the impression that with Delta, they can get to zero cases or transmission - while the experts have said they can't and need to find a way to co-exist.
So the general consensus is we will be in and out of forced lockdown indefinitely.
it seems aussie government are blinkered by this delta variant, hoping to save lets say 10,000 lives when 20,000 lives will be lost due to depression suicide , no cancer care etc.

for example: government should focus on life years lost if 5000 young die at say 30 due to suicide then that is 200,000 life years lost against deaths of an 80 year old with co-morbidities 5000 x 2 = 10,000 life years lost.

it's a no brainer - vaccinate the vulnerable and open up - Covid is not Ebola where 30% who get Ebola die

Oh, we have been..
At least there's that....imagine this happening in the days before all this internet capability...

The only good thing about this for me is I have been practicing social distancing for years as I find most people a pain in the arse. However none of our lockdowns have been as extreme as the ones you have experienced....close but not quite...

It really is mandate with far reaching effects that shouldn't be happening at all. Humanity will always face certain challenges from the microbial elements of life. The saddest part of all is that this kind of attack on humanity is uncalled for if it is what it appears to be... and that is a man made virus for the purpose of controlling major population centers with fear and propaganda.

As you can see it also has a political aspect to it... in the words of FDR he once said, paraphrased, if anything big happens in politics you can bet it was planned that way. In the USA and inside individual states look how differently it is playing out as it regards the rules for coping with the Chinese import. The people involved in making all of this isolation happen should face serious consequences in my opinion.

Madness .... another part of the country..
If only I could get a permit to leave ..
Maybe I'm getting cynical and cranky as I get older.. dunno...

ACT, a separate territory inside the state of New South Wales.
Population: 600,000 +/-
One case of covid detected today.

Govt statement:
The nation’s capital will enter a seven day lockdown from 5pm today after a positive COVID-19 case had been infectious in the community.
“This is by far the most serious public health risk the ACT has faced in the past 12 months, and that’s why the ACT is introducing a strict lockdown in response to this positive case,” an ACT Health statement says.

Canberrans will be asked to only leave their homes for essential reasons – essential employment, healthcare (including a COVID-19 vaccination), essential groceries and supplies and up to one hour of outdoor exercise. Mandatory mask wearing will be reintroduced.

General retail will be closed, and hospitality venues will only be able to operate takeaway services. Authorities will ask any businesses that has to remain open to actively prevent any in-store browsing.

Once a prison colony, always a prison colony? Australia used to be a dream for me, always carried the desire to one day move and settle there... not anymore. What a dystopian nightmare it's turned into. I feel for you folks down under, I really do.

Once a prison colony, always a prison colony? Australia used to be a dream for me, always carried the desire to one day move and settle there... not anymore. What a dystopian nightmare it's turned into. I feel for you folks down under, I really do.

I almost moved there back in the late 80s. I had an assignment in New England that upon completion I had a slot waiting in Au. My boss retired and his replacement reneged on that.

So I contacted AU myself. At that time they were young and still somewhat behind in some ways. They were offering citizenship and tax free living if you had qualifying assets and skills. Which I did.

I ended up getting an offer to work the Space Shuttle and went there. I regretted not going there for a few years.

But now it seems that was a good decision. It's gotten crazy expensive now. I had neighbors that took a job stateside and they sold out of the Sydney life and said they'd never go back.

Back