The "real time" 5er vaca thread

Getn off

Registered
Vaca here we come! As promised, I am going to document our lil 2 week trip in our 40' 5th wheel. Bought this rig in August of last year. This is the 5th trip, and the longest.
Left Orlando area June 30th and will spend 2 nights in savanna, GA. Leave for Gatlinburg tomorrow for 5 nights. Oconee Natl Forest for 3, Savanna again for 3, then home on the 14th.
First leg was short and easy. Stopped for lunch and parked next to a "large" Class A. Guess not as large as I thought! Lol
For those that camp and are curious, we are staying at Creekfire Motor Ranch. It is very clean and quaint. Highly recommend. Spent the rest of the day relaxing and having dinner. On our way today to a lunch river cruise.
This trip is just my wife, my dog and me. Dog's name is Lotus... like the car. Not the flower. Lol
Will plan on posting each day with pics.
Troy and fam!

0039C110-00E8-4382-A6FB-71E6003CC0BA.jpeg

A41CDEC5-4FF0-4695-BC6D-E09C93BA702E.jpeg

3684A25D-292D-4C30-8704-EA8BADE5F8F4.jpeg

1534FCA2-B363-4679-B285-4BE2CFA1A03E.jpeg

5F3C7FC1-BD5C-4434-B81D-25080D95468D.jpeg

Yea, it is kinda overkill for sure. Mama gets what mama wants...happy wife/happy life kinda thing guys!
Took a very informative river tour slash lunch on a paddle wheel yesterday in savannah. Actually learned a good deal. Had no idea Savannah is the nations 4th largest port!
Nice 6 hour drive to Gatlinburg today. Well, most of the way. The last 10 miles was tense to say the least. I use the Ford gps (which is very good fyi) and I bought a backup gps that I can enter my rigs data into to keep me off small roads that I wont fit on (weight/length/height) called "Co-pilot." It totally forked me. Sent me on a very tiny country road with low trees and power lines. Thank God the power lines were barely tall enough. Trees? Not so lucky. Ripped my TV antenna off! Watched it roll off

the back with a bunch of limbs! Yep! I am now "That Guy!" Nothin a few hundred dollars and even more beer (to deal with the lost pride!) wont fix.
Made it though, and it is very nice. KOA Gatlinburg South. Very peacefull and lots of trees. Lots planned for the week. Spending 5 nights here.
Tbc...
Troy and fam

Spent the day touring downtown Gatlinburg. Lots of touristy stuff. Had the pup, so didnt do much but walk. Going river rafting tomorrow. Gonna ride the tram and skyway bridge friday.
We did go back down that tiny road with just our "tiny" truck and low an behold---found our antenna! Lol
Got back and went for a nice bike ride. Have a tandem with a trailer for Lotus.
Relaxing in the hammocks and thinking about grillin soon.
The good life for sure.
Ps. Trying to convince the woman that we NEED to rent a bike and ride the Dragon again! She said that we just did that last month! Well yea.
Troy and fam

Been busy here!
4th (which happens to be our 21st anniv) we went river rafting. Not crazy, but the local place had a good run of 3/4s. Had fun.
Stopped by a distillery after that and did a moonshine sample tour. Got about 12 shots...albeit only about half an ounce each, but still! They also had awesome whisky slushies! Had to! Got back to the RV, by the grace of God, and relaxed by the fire and grilled steaks the rest of the night.
Yesterday was a wash! At our age, tying one on lasts way too damn long!
Today we got going and went back to downtown Gatlinburg and rode the sky bridge. Was pretty cool. Had lunch in town at a mexican place that was so-so, but had great jalopeno margaritas! Relaxing at the RV now. Broke down a bit of the campsite because we leave tomorrow. Short 3 hours to our next place tho, so not in a rush.
Next stop Oconee natl forest, SC.
Troy and fam

Another good day. Well, always is on vaca!
Broke camp in Gatlinburg and mosied down to Oconee natl forest SC. Easy 3 hour drive. Tons of traffic btw.
Devils Fork State Park SC. This is one badazz campground! Very wooded and some campsights on the lake...one downside of having a rig larger than 30'. Originally we were only staying here 3 nights then 3 more back in Savannah. We added 2 more nights here (to 5 for u that cant count!) and altered our Savannah to 2 after.
Set up camp and pedalled around the camp and lake area. Great swimming areas and tons of rental stuff. Gonna rent a canoe or kayak tomorrow for us 3. Got back and cooked, then sat by the fire listening to all the cicadas and watched the lightening bugs!
The only real downside to this sight is that it is only a 30 amp, so only 1 AC at a time. And the sewer dump is at the exit, not at the sight which is typical on state grounds. Yep. Third world problems for sure.
Till tomorrow...
Troy and fam

Ignor my ghost legs, they dont get the sun they used to! Lol

Last edited:
Really had a great visit at Devils Fork. Rented a canoe one day, then a tandem kayak another. Got rained out a couple days, but still very enjoyable.
Broke camp this morning to head back to Savannah. Stopped at the exit to dump the grey and black tanks. Forward grey and black tanks would not dump! At all! Drove all they way with full tanks, which is not ideal due to excess weight. Few phone calls to mfg and had no real ideas except get in line at the dealer for service. Booked through aug btw, which means we would have to cancel our aug trip. Was stressing for all of the 7 hour drive. Got to Savannah, set up camp, and they dumped fine! Whew! Those with RVs know how stressfull this can be.
Other than the stress of thinking about the tanks, the thunderstorms we had to drive in, and the massive thunderstorm waiting for us in Savannah, it was a great drive! Lol!
Just a quick stop here as we leave for home sunday. Just planning n hiking and biking if the weather holds.
Troy and fam

Back