The elusive Covid ride

Getn off

Registered
Hey guys and gals.
2 buddies and I have been planning a 2-3 week US ride for June for a while now. Obviously this Covid poop had put a dampener on it. We have decided to do the ride and I have been researching individual state closures and such. Hard to get a good grasp via Google. starting in Orlando about June 5th, and camping most nights...maybe every 3-4 night a hotel.
Heading Eest to pick up our brother in Vegas. Route will be roughly...

500 mi/day

Mco
Mobile, al
Hou
Elp
Phx
Lax
Sjo
Eureka, ca
Coos bay
Port angeles
Wenatche, wa
Missoula, mt
Rapid city, sd
Ceder rapids, ia
Columbus
Charlotte, nc
Home

Big problem is CA right now. Looks like they me be locked down for another couple months. We are not looking for sit down food and such, just a pass through and tent/hotels. Alt plan is from vegas head NW and just bypass CA and pass through K-Falls to the coast then N to Sea area.
We would also love to cross from Port Angeles to Victoria and ride a bit in Canada, but that is wishy washy right now too.

My question is, can yall give me real time local advise how your state (and BC) is doing right now...unofficially what u r seeing, not news lockdown stuff. And a time line of when u think our plan would work in ur state. From what I read, it looks like most places will be ridable starting June first. Cutting it close.

Second, feel free to hop on ur Busa and tag along for a mile or two! Would be fun to meet some of you. Some. Jk! Lol.
Im riding the Ultra, 1 buddy on a Street Glide, and buddy from Vegas on a KTM Super Duke.
Even bought a Gopro and fork mount to document this. Will def post up some pics slash vids after.
Thanks for any advice.
Troy

CALIFORNIA

But you want to keep it legal, right?

Dispersed camping in CA is technically not allowed but would be possible. Many of the roads leading into and through dispersed camping sites are open, some aren't (like Yosemite's Hwy 120 @WuzzaCBXRider), meaning you could get to these locations without interference and camp for free.

Hotels are not a problem in CA as long as you follow their protocol once checked in. My daughter (party of 7) is currently on a 10-day Coastal CA road trip that started LAX, ending in SFO. No Covid-related issues reported so far (Day 5). All nights in hotel.

My experience from this past weekend through Central CA reflected the new norm: more masks in urban settings, less of them the more rural you get. No place I went REQUIRED me to wear a mask but I carried just in case. Nearly all food locations were open but for takeout only. I would estimate 6 out of every 10 people I saw were masked up.

Hope this helps

Hey guys and gals.
2 buddies and I have been planning a 2-3 week US ride for June for a while now. Obviously this Covid poop had put a dampener on it. We have decided to do the ride and I have been researching individual state closures and such. Hard to get a good grasp via Google. starting in Orlando about June 5th, and camping most nights...maybe every 3-4 night a hotel.
Heading Eest to pick up our brother in Vegas. Route will be roughly...

500 mi/day

Mco
Mobile, al
Hou
Elp
Phx
Lax
Sjo
Eureka, ca
Coos bay
Port angeles
Wenatche, wa
Missoula, mt
Rapid city, sd
Ceder rapids, ia
Columbus
Charlotte, nc
Home

Big problem is CA right now. Looks like they me be locked down for another couple months. We are not looking for sit down food and such, just a pass through and tent/hotels. Alt plan is from vegas head NW and just bypass CA and pass through K-Falls to the coast then N to Sea area.
We would also love to cross from Port Angeles to Victoria and ride a bit in Canada, but that is wishy washy right now too.

My question is, can yall give me real time local advise how your state (and BC) is doing right now...unofficially what u r seeing, not news lockdown stuff. And a time line of when u think our plan would work in ur state. From what I read, it looks like most places will be ridable starting June first. Cutting it close.

Second, feel free to hop on ur Busa and tag along for a mile or two! Would be fun to meet some of you. Some. Jk! Lol.
Im riding the Ultra, 1 buddy on a Street Glide, and buddy from Vegas on a KTM Super Duke.
Even bought a Gopro and fork mount to document this. Will def post up some pics slash vids after.
Thanks for any advice.
Troy
Since you asked for advice.... starting in Orlando and heading east to Vegas is gonna take you a minute.... :poke:

Victoria,B.C. As of today,no camping anywhere.Government run,private,Crown Land all closed.
Hotels: Middle of the road type places are open.Cost you about 100-120 a night.About 80 USD.
Ferry from Port Angeles Wash to Vic B.C.. Closed.Ferry from Anacortes,Wash. to Sidney B.C. Closed. There are 13 border crossings into B.C. I shall check on their status.Crossing with Covid When crossing the border you can help yourself by having a valid passport.Guns,leave them at home.Big extra hassle.Have all the questions answered before they are asked if you know what I mean.
Ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island (Victoria) is running on a limited schedule,no worries for bikers,you will get on whenever you show up.
Stay in touch for updates via here,PM,email,text,etc.
Rubb.

Yes, def helps. Did ur daughter start in CA? Not sure if the borders are closed like FL. We could def do hotels up the PcH if required for sure.
Any other states gonna be an issue guys?
Troy

That's quite a trip!! Wish I could offer help here, but we've cancelled every ride/vacation we had because of this crap, but if you're mostly camping, you may be good. Seems as long as you make stops at Home Depot/Lowes and Walmart and you'll be good to go :laugh:

If you end up on the east coast of VA, post up - we take in stray bikers from time to time :poke:

As Mr.Brown mentioned re time...
3,300 miles from Fla. to Sea Wash (most direct route) 3,300 miles @ 500 miles per day is 6.6 days. So with your planned included stops I would suggest you are setting very lofty goals for a 2-3 week trip.
Just sayin'...WTF do I know anyway.
Rubb.

Yes, def helps. Did ur daughter start in CA? Not sure if the borders are closed like FL. We could def do hotels up the PcH if required for sure.
Any other states gonna be an issue guys?
Troy
Yes, trip began SoCal. Closed CA borders? Not that I or anyone else has heard of. Pashnit might be a resource you could PM for updated details

Made it home today. 18 days and 8413 miles!
Left a couple days late due to one of my buddies father having a stroke. Had to ride solo from Orlando to Vegas to pick up Mike. He was on a Super Duke.
First leg I did 1080 miles through some hellacious thunderstorms behind that damn Tropical storm. After Vegas we rode through Death Valley and over to LA. Rode the PCH all the way to Port Townsand, WA and took a ferry to Whidbey Island. Rode HWY 20 across WA to ID and MT. Stayed 2 nights in Yellowstone. Continued East through WY, SD, MN, IA, IL, IN, OH, KY, and TN. Spent a day riding the Dragon and headed back home via NC, SC, and GA!
Rode through 25 of the 50 States!
Hell of a trip. Feel pretty damn good actually...mentally and physically.
Few random pics below.
Troy

Looks like an awesome trip! I need to do something like that one of these days. Great editing on the video.

It’s amazing how well you get to know your bike after a few days of straight riding isn’t it? :firing: My longest was eight states in ten days, a lil over 4,000 miles but I was alone and no camping. On one trip with my 82 CBX I had to call ahead for a tire to be ready when I got there. I was sweating getting there with threads showing and the bike shop was great getting me right in and out when I arrived.

Back