Cold Weather Ride

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
I was planning on taking a trip up to Oregon again but I have only done this when the temperture was a bit warmer...I don't want to drive
drooling3.gif
my cage but take the Busa...It's about 400 miles one way and the temp seems to be around 40 to 45 for the high from here to there...right now I have the First Gear winter overpants and a good winter riding jacket.

I have never made that kinda of distance in these type of tempertures....is this idea a bad one and I will be miserable the whole way? what do you guy's think? I'm think'in it's probably just to damn cold for a trip like that but I hate drive'in up there when I could be ride'in.

40 - 45F, thats not that bad.

Dress in layers, get some Zooke Anti Fog , the stuff works great. Make sure you have warm gloves, as when I ride in those temps or colder, it my hands that get cold. Wear sock liners, and a nice pair of moisture wicking heavy outter sock. You could get yourself some of those hand warmers / little packets you crush which activates a chemical and warms hands & feet for a few hours.

I think you should be fine, just keep speeds below 100 or else things start getting a little colder. Oh, and dont over dress ...if you sweat, moisture will make you cold. Anyhow, sounds like fun...Enjoy!

hey rob just go 150mph all the way there you'll be there real quick. just where a few layers or get a heated jacket.
biggrin.gif

I live here in portland basically and am still doing 2 to 3 hour rides in the temperatures around here. The only cold part is the hands, Im thinking about heated grips and that would probably be all I need, I say go for it!!!!
smile.gif

I just got a pair of heated gloves last week. I went to work all this week. Today it was 12 degrees in the morning and I was fine. I can't believe how well they work. Not one bit cold on any part of my hands and I mean any. As for that Kind of a trip in the cold, if you are dressed warm enough and you like to ride that long,fine. Just make sure your feet and hands are warm.

hey rob just go 150mph all the way there you'll be there real quick. just where a few layers or get a heated jacket.
biggrin.gif
Ya, I'm think"in after 150 mph friction becomes a factor and you start to warm back up.
Actually you have to go 200 Kts (230 mph) before the air is superheated over an object (well an airplane wing anyway) to clear ice or heat up !

Just remember 40F at 70 mph = 24 F
And that's not including the headwind if any !

Without some heat gear
AAAssjani.gif
, after a while your cloths will get what I call cold soaked
eek2.gif
. THEN YOU WILL GET COLD !
poke.gif
Your hands will also need protection because they will get the blunt of the wind. And remember, if you start feeling stinging pain --- STOP as quick as possible and get warm somewhere !

I just got a pair of heated gloves last week. I went to work all this week. Today it was 12 degrees in the morning and I was fine. I can't believe how well they work. Not one bit cold on any part of my hands and I mean any. As for that Kind of a trip in the cold, if you are dressed warm enough and you like to ride that long,fine. Just make sure your feet and hands are warm.
what heated gloves you get? its cold in the morning

Man, thanks everyone for the help!...It looks like I'll go for it but I think I better get some better gloves and some good socks.

DaCol. scared me a little bit with that 24 F thing but most seem to think it can be done without to much discomfort.

valium, thats a great idea about the crush packets to help stay warm..i'm gonna try that to.

Thanks ike...where did you score the widder gloves at?

you guy's are awsome...I love this place.
beerchug.gif

ozz.....not sure when your ride is, but if you can't find any of those instant heat packets, let me know. I can get you a few packs and send em your way, just drop me a pm if you need em & I will get you some in the morning and mail em out to you.
wink.gif

Keeping warm isn't the big problem. I would be more concerned about the road conditions in the higher elevations that you may encounter. It's probably going to get a bit icy in spots and that is not something I would like to encounter on my bike. Even if they say 40 it is likely to be colder and freezing in areas.

Watch out for the FOG!
The FOG between Sacramento and Redding can be really thick this time of year.

Back