M109r for a cross country ride

busanutt

Registered
planning a ride from coast to cost in 3 weeks and a buddy is bringing a friend along who has a 2010 or 2011 M109r now that im doing some research im not that confident on this bike makeing it 7000 miles without having any issues in what im seeing to be the clucth basket or snapping a clutch cable. cable can be mickey moused but basket.. what do you guys think. every bike has issues except for the busa but could this spell bad news????

planning a ride from coast to cost in 3 weeks and a buddy is bringing a friend along...

Just the fact that he's bringing a friend can be a red flag.

I learned a long time ago that doing long trips with new riding partners can be a huge mistake... unless you are willing to roll with the punches and deal with the unknown and unexpected. For some, this is part of the adventure, but not for me. I won't even do an overnighter with anyone that I haven't "proven" on a little day trip.

In other words, the bike he rides may be the least of your worries :laugh:

No worries on the M109R. Check my sig, I've owned one. If I were him, I'd pack a spare clutch cable, but otherwise, no worries. One thing's for sure, he's gonna be more comfortable than you. :laugh:

I think there are more important things to think about besides his bike not making it.

What is your riding style and goals?
Do you want to cover 400 miles or 1000 miles per day.
Do you take snacks with you or do you eat in sit down restaurants?
Do you ride the speed limit or race to get somewhere?

Is it possible to do some short rides with this third wheel?

Good luck on your trip :whistle:

IMAG0019.jpg

D60_090510_2558.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

D60_090510_2558.jpg

The 109 can cruise 80 to 90 without any issues. However going across the dessert at 125 would be a problem. If the pace of the trip is slow and relax you should be ok but don't try to haul ballz because you will be stopping more than riding.

The 109 can cruise 80 to 90 without any issues. However going across the dessert at 125 would be a problem. If the pace of the trip is slow and relax you should be ok but don't try to haul ballz because you will be stopping more than riding.

What do you mean? Do they have overheating issues or something?

You can't believe everything you read on the internet though Jelly.. Mine never even had a hiccup. Well it did puke oil outta the air cleaner once. :whistle: But that was the dealer's fault. :poke:

Plus, my 109 would run 120 mph and not care at all. :moon:

You can't believe everything you read on the internet though Jelly.. Mine never even had a hiccup. Well it did puke oil outta the air cleaner once. :whistle: But that was the dealer's fault. :poke:

Plus, my 109 would run 120 mph and not care at all. :moon:

In that link there sure were a lot of riders loving and loyal to their bikes. I think it paints and unbiast story though, a lot of riders agreed with your view, some had issues. I ended up getting a Harley instead and thinking of selling it and getting a Beemer RT1200 to replace it. Have to test drive one first. About the Harley, only 7,000 miles, not a thing a full service doing everything in the book at 5,000 miles took me best part of 40 minutes to do. Wifey says if feels like it's gonna explode any minute though, so if she does not enjoy passenger riding, might as well sell it. I do oil analysis on all my bikes and the Harley wear shows about 1/4 that of the Busa in the motor.

Cross country and back will mean many miles of slab, (and not a bunch of shifting). Fresh tires and a Visa card are what I'd worry about.

Back