Need advice on replacing seat

jeffgordons24

Registered
Hey guys, so I got a set of Tobin seats second hand and went to install, but came to find I have no clue how this seat installs.

My oem gel seat took the factory bracket and bolted up like oem.

The Tobin seats I got have rubber eye lids which I can’t see how the bolt will work.

The gel seat I have is white bottom and Tobin is the black bottom.

5F2B49E7-772E-46A7-A19C-884971A8EDEC.jpeg

966D62BD-A976-439D-9390-4C95B54BC8DB.jpeg

6FED4075-416B-4BCB-9706-E7FAECDF4DB9.jpeg

Hey guys,
so I got a set of Tobin seats
second hand and went to install,
but came to find I have no clue how this seat installs .

My oem gel seat took
the factory bracket
and bolted up like oem.

The Tobin seats I got have rubber eye lids
which I can not see how the bolt will work .

View attachment 1587381

View attachment 1587382

View attachment 1587383
Perhaps it takes a through bolt from one side to the other ~ some things just do not remain the same with time *

Dating marriage.jpg

Differences from an early gen 1 and the updated version of the gen 2 can hardly wait for our gen 3 *

Last edited:
what are you looking for stock or Gel seat for Gen 1?
Somewhere in my grandmothers attic is likely my factory seat along with the exhaust and all the items that came off the bike when I bought it. The stock gel seat that I have is the worst, the cover is stretched to poop for some reason (im only 140 lbs so not sure how it stretched) and it feels like satan is breathing up my ass on long rides followed up with a swarm of fire ants.
I love the Tobin / New Image seat style and have been in search of a pair for so long. I considered Corbin's as someone on here had a nice set but they sold before I could buy.

I liked the idea of a passenger back rest, but I also like how the New image seats have the little back support for the driver.

Hey guys, so I got a set of Tobin seats second hand and went to install, but came to find I have no clue how this seat installs.

My oem gel seat took the factory bracket and bolted up like oem.

The Tobin seats I got have rubber eye lids which I can’t see how the bolt will work.

View attachment 1587381

View attachment 1587382

View attachment 1587383

From your profile pic, your bike is a Gen 1. That seat pan is a Gen II. I would try to get a refund on your sale (not sure if ebay or other source), but that seat pan won't work. I am not in the states, other wise I would loan you one of mine -

Here is a pretty cheap (and dumpy) one on fee-bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-07-Gsx1300r-Hayabusa-Front-Drivers-Seat/163291541122?fits=Model:Hayabusa|Make:Suzuki&hash=item2604ef2e82:g:zRMAAOSw~IFbs6bg:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!32570!US!-1

Something like that could at least get you by until you get the specific seat that you want. A brand new complete stock seat from Ron Ayers will run about $185 - https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/508b0d61f870023530723802/seat-model-k4
SEAT ASSY (BLACK)
45100-24F10-W05
$183.77
(I used 06 for the model year, but the seats are pretty much the same for all Gen Is - but on Ron Ayers, you can just change the year)

Thanks guys I am wondering if they can do a recover of my gel seat and add the hump to it. I think what makes it hot is the fabric it has. It’s like spandex

8208E8ED-D414-4E05-A963-267C9C5C536F.jpeg

BBD6704D-5C88-4C59-A404-D89B9E77EFF1.jpeg

I found a Suzuki gel seat for a Gen 2 on Ebay for less than $200. Probably gonna go that route.
Should’ve bought the one BigE just sold here for $80. A lot of people complain about the heat that the gel builds, specially for a bike that lives outside like yours.

Somewhere in my grandmothers attic is likely my factory seat along with the exhaust and all the items that came off the bike when I bought it. The stock gel seat that I have is the worst, the cover is stretched to poop for some reason (im only 140 lbs so not sure how it stretched) and it feels like satan is breathing up my ass on long rides followed up with a swarm of fire ants.
I love the Tobin / New Image seat style and have been in search of a pair for so long. I considered Corbin's as someone on here had a nice set but they sold before I could buy.

I liked the idea of a passenger back rest, but I also like how the New image seats have the little back support for the driver.
I feel for you. I’ll keep eyes peeled for more corbin locally and see if I find something.

I feel for you. I’ll keep eyes peeled for more corbin locally and see if I find something.
Thank you Mabupa!!....Seats is one of the many remaining items that I wanted to revamp on my rebuild / refresh of the bike. Little by little I have been knocking items off.

I spoke to Lee @ New Image...super super nice guy!
He has oem seats he can sell me for $100 and will do the work to them for 290 so $390 in total.
I have a return label for the other seats and save a little bit more money and I’ll just go with him. When I spoke I told him I didn’t have the $390 for about another week and he said he would hold the Seats for me and when I paid he would have them out next day
Thank you guys for the input you all rock!!!

Back