Tobin seats?

Archangel1177

Registered
I have been riding my hayabusa here for a little while and I love it! But the stock seat after a while feels like a steel plate on my backside. So I was considering a gel seat as some of you have recommended. At this point I am considering a Tobin made seat. Any of you have any experience either good or bad? Also how long is the turn around after you send the seat to when the seat is returned? Thanks in advance!

Archangel I hear you bro...it was the first modification I made after delivery of bike. See my picture...Another benefit of the Tobin seat besides its beauty and comfort is the rider will sit approximately 1 inch closer to the ground...With stock seats I could get one foot flat and the other on the ball of the foot..with the Tobin seat it enhanced the beauty of the bike, zillion percent more comfortable...and I ride 3 hours a day 2-3 times a week back and forth to work...I am 5'9" and about 180 lbs without gear on.
Take a look at his website to get some ideas of the different designs available...I liked the glossy texture in black with the red Kanji and backstrap red...beautiful to my eye...good guy...does his work and does it on time...2hip

Hayabusa bagger install 07-09 008.jpg

Hayabusa bagger install 07-09 009.jpg

With a Tobin (or New Image, samething, whatever ???), you sit IN the bike, with a stock seat, you sit ON the bike. Big difference. Tobins aren't that great for sport-riding if you like to move around. However, Tobins (or New Image, whatever, :laugh:) look exceptional and if you want looks, they are the bomb! Tobins are also very good travel seats.

displayimage.php

After using Tobin for couple years, actually went back to stock with Second Look Seat Skin. Couldn't be happier, but my style of riding lately is moreso just 300 mile days.

Can't do this on a Tobin. :laugh:

A sidenote is also tried the Suzuki Gel seat, but had the mysterious unexplained problem of it getting hot after hours in the saddle. Short rides, you'd probably never notice. First time that happened, I thought the battery was on fire (really!).

Bought it on eBay for $100, sold it on eBay for $100.

displayimage.php

With a Tobin (or New Image, samething, whatever ???), you sit IN the bike, with a stock seat, you sit ON the bike. Big difference. Tobins aren't that great for sport-riding if you like to move around. However, Tobins (or New Image, whatever, :laugh:) look exceptional and if you want looks, they are the bomb! Tobins are also very good travel seats.

displayimage.php

After using Tobin for couple years, actually went back to stock with Second Look Seat Skin. Couldn't be happier, but my style of riding lately is moreso just 300 mile days.

Can't do this on a Tobin. :laugh:

Tim, what does - 1" seat height (Tobin, New Image, Whatever) have to do with not being able to get one's butt off the seat?
What if my legs are 1" shorter than yours?

Last edited:
Tim, what does - 1" seat height (Tobin, New Image, Whatever) have to do with not being able to get one's butt off the seat?
What if my legs are 1" shorter than yours?

Good question. It's because the cut of the Tobin/New Image/Whatever is designed to hold your hips in place while you're riding. In effect, it's stock seat pan with the foam scooped out to form a curved shape that holds your tailbone in place. However, scooping out the stock foam into a thinner seat also creates an edge. I put 30K on that seat and don't think I moved my hips once. Sport-riding in the twisting was all done with the shoulders. The edge never bothered me, only noticed it in stop-n-go traffic.

The stock shape is curved along the sides, so in a sport-riding style of transit, you can easily transition from side to side, basically sliding off the curve of the seat and putting your butt crack along the edge of the seat and touching your knee down.

There's a middle ground to all this, so make sure to buy for application. As mentioned, shorter inseam and/or ride style gives you a direction to go in making the bike yours. :thumbsup: Corbins should also be mentioned if we're going to talk about seats, 50K of riding with two previous bikes did on Corbins before going to the Tobin.

143_4328_800.jpg

143_4330_700.jpg

143_4331_800.jpg

143_4329_700.jpg

143_4328_800.jpg

143_4330_700.jpg

143_4331_800.jpg

143_4329_700.jpg

Love my tobin very comfertable and looks very nice on the bike, and when twisting the throttle no more sliding back!!! I got my seat back ina bout two weeks. just give him a call hes a very nice guy. You will get MANY compliments from people who have never seen a tobin its a very nice upgrade!!! Also he can do any kind of wrighting /lettering you want as long as you can send him a jpeg, mine matches my tank

DSCN3601.jpg

DSCN3722.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

New Image is the one...was doing TOBINs seats. They have now split from each other. Tobin still does some seats but customer service is lacking and slow. LEE at New Image does great work and informative. For me he was only 1.5 hours way...so I made plans with him and drove 2 sets of seats to him. He did them in less than 3 hours for the set. You turn around time will be fast with New Image!!!!
New Image Online

Pic of the 2 sets he did for me.:thumbsup:

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

Back