MYTHOS went down hard

So , if you do have an experience on the negative side , like a motorcycle crash , like @Mythos , it is with honest concern , that we then want to pass on to all who care to listen , the benefits learned from our choice mistakes . Gravel rash , loss of tissue , skin graphs are certainly no fun , and tho that reality is bad enough , it can be considered mild , as 'possible' spinal injuries and the like sustained in motorcycle accidents . Mythos has chosen to wear full protective gear in his riding future , sound advice . I repost this pic , of one of my injuries from my low speed 1986 accident , a skin graphed site , 17 y.o , wearing jeans , not road rash exactly , but concreted wall .
View attachment 1639065
I too wear protective clothing to ride , but do also ride in kevlar jeans and light armored shirt for comfort .
Anyway this week marks the first time , I have had to get checked out for a fitness to operate a motorcycle , for my license , because of my old motorcycle injuries from past . I got through the examination , I passed no worries , but a reminder that the clock is maybe ticking , and threatening my passion to ride .
U have to take a physical to be able to keep your bike endorsement??

WOW! That had to hurt, Roadtoad. ....and that was low speed? :eek:

Anyway this week marks the first time , I have had to get checked out for a fitness to operate a motorcycle , for my license , because of my old motorcycle injuries from past .
I've never heard of such a thing as a fitness to operate anything here in the US. Pass an eye exam, and you can renew your license for any kind of passenger vehicle. All Aussies need to take the test at a certain age if they want a motorcycle license, right?

Around here that age is 80yrs old...Toad is older than I thought....
My father just sold his bike last year and he's about 85. All he had to do was pass a regular driving test including eye exam. I've passed the eye exam using pretty old prescription lenses. In the US, you need to pass a motorcycle road test one time before you get the MC endorsement for life. The test isn't especially hard but you can take it on a small bike if you have one available. Our laws seem pretty lenient compared to the rest of the world.

WOW! That had to hurt, Roadtoad. ....and that was low speed? :eek:

I've never heard of such a thing as a fitness to operate anything here in the US. Pass an eye exam, and you can renew your license for any kind of passenger vehicle. All Aussies need to take the test at a certain age if they want a motorcycle license, right?
At age 80 here you have to do an eye exam and pass a written test before they give you your license.. and every 2 years after that...

At age 80 here you have to do an eye exam and pass a written test before they give you your license.. and every 2 years after that...
I'm not 80 yet. :laugh: Maybe it's the same in the US. Alls I know is I only take a vision test about every 4 years. I remeber taking a written test on a computer about 10 years ago. Maybe that was for my MC endorsement. Never had to take any tests of any kind since then.

Yeah , a bit of a pain in the arse , I will have to do this general physical , including eyes , because I have busted bones somewhere in every limb , and damaged some vertebrae in spine . Because the age of these injuries 1986 and 1990 , eventually over time some of these deteriorate (arthritis etc. ) , so I now come up for unwanted scrutiny .....
Anyway , that de gloved leg was 60kph zone , hit a concrete bus shelter , shattered the hip as well . Got looked after well in hospital in those days , 8 weeks nearly in traction . On a recent ride tho , I ran into another fella on a bike that spent 6 months + in traction ...and many years recovering , some hardcore bike lovers out there .

Last edited:
Hey @Mythos bro , have you done anything else to the 14 , since last update , pulled it apart anymore ? What about you injuries , are you repairing okay , or what bro ?
YO Toad!! What up!!!

I have been spending a lot of time getting ready for school to start so the bike sits. So far, it only looks like the tail will need replacing and used ones are easy to come by on Ebay. I hear the frames rarely bend, they break so hopefully whatever used tail I get will fit properly. I may get the fuel tank drained and removed in the next few days and then I'll check the backbone portion of the frame and the engine mounts one more time. Last, the forks will be removed and the clamps will be checked by attempting to install the OEM forks which I know are straight.

Now you just reminded me I dreamed of riding that bike a night or two ago. Damn, I was on the same road I crashed on!! The bike ran well but there was a slight grindy feeling both left and right when I turned the steering. Like what I would expect from completely worn out bearings. LOL it was just a dream, if all looks good, I'd replace those bearings anyway. It is about time they be replaced wether the bike was crashed or not. Same goes for clutch plates. Those are about worn out. ..and the oil pan has never been cleaned. One good thing about rebuilding the bike is that every little job I haven't done yet will be finished before it rides again.

As for my skin injuries, they are all healed up. I am quite surprised at how tender scar tissue is. It's sort of like a smooth, layer of plastic. I thought scars would be tougher than skin but it's the opposite. It is pretty painful if I accidentally rub them lightly against a hard object. I like to sleep on my belly and the knee scars hurt a little from just pressing against my mattress. The scars get blisters if a lot of pressure is put on them and sometimes I don't even know what I did that caused the blister. The pink/purple color is fading at the edges of the knee scars but I'm told those could take years to really go away. Given how vulnerable to injury those scars are, that means one thing for sure, I can NOT crash again. Even with leathers on, the knees would be in very bad shape after already healing from the first injury. I'd have scars on my scars. I'll have to look into what I might do to protect the scars from my leathers if I should go down again. I'm planning on doing racing so it's not unlikely I'd experience another off. If it's not possible to protect the scars from the protective gear, I guess I will just have to race slow! :laugh:

So , if you do have an experience on the negative side , like a motorcycle crash , like @Mythos , it is with honest concern , that we then want to pass on to all who care to listen , the benefits learned from our choice mistakes . Gravel rash , loss of tissue , skin graphs are certainly no fun , and tho that reality is bad enough , it can be considered mild , as 'possible' spinal injuries and the like sustained in motorcycle accidents . Mythos has chosen to wear full protective gear in his riding future , sound advice . I repost this pic , of one of my injuries from my low speed 1986 accident , a skin graphed site , 17 y.o , wearing jeans , not road rash exactly , but concreted wall .
View attachment 1639065
I too wear protective clothing to ride , but do also ride in kevlar jeans and light armored shirt for comfort .
Anyway this week marks the first time , I have had to get checked out for a fitness to operate a motorcycle , for my license , because of my old motorcycle injuries from past . I got through the examination , I passed no worries , but a reminder that the clock is maybe ticking , and threatening my passion to ride .
....but your legs are still sexy
lmao
Hang in there old man, we can't hang it up yet(even though some days the body says no).

Mythos
I just saw this, and hated reading it.
I hope things are improving for you.
Thanks, sixpack. It's all ok. Hey, I lived and actually suffered pretty minor injuries considering. A friend of mine went down on his side and busted his femur which they inserted a rod for and recommended hip replacement. I had no broken bones although from the bruise I had, I see my right femur hit pretty hard. I took a heavy blow to the ribs right in front below the pecs but nothing broke. Sore for a couple weeks but no bruising on the skin there. That was probably from the deer that must have come up through the top cowl and hit me in the lower chest. The bike looks fixable although most would consider it not worth fixing. Something I gotta do though.

Thanks, sixpack. It's all ok. Hey, I lived and actually suffered pretty minor injuries considering. A friend of mine went down on his side and busted his femur which they inserted a rod for and recommended hip replacement. I had no broken bones although from the bruise I had, I see my right femur hit pretty hard. I took a heavy blow to the ribs right in front below the pecs but nothing broke. Sore for a couple weeks but no bruising on the skin there. That was probably from the deer that must have come up through the top cowl and hit me in the lower chest. The bike looks fixable although most would consider it not worth fixing. Something I gotta do though.

Sounds like you can take a hit...
And I completely get fixing the bike, I would too.
Much respect on both sir
Glad you're still upright, and on 2 wheels.

Yeah , a bit of a pain in the arse , I will have to do this general physical , including eyes , because I have busted bones somewhere in every limb , and damaged some vertebrae in spine . Because the age of these injuries 1986 and 1990 , eventually over time some of these deteriorate (arthritis etc. ) , so I now come up for unwanted scrutiny .....
Anyway , that de gloved leg was 60kph zone , hit a concrete bus shelter , shattered the hip as well . Got looked after well in hospital in those days , 8 weeks nearly in traction . On a recent ride tho , I ran into another fella on a bike that spent 6 months + in traction ...and many years recovering , some hardcore bike lovers out there .
HI. WOW, I have been stabber shot with shrapnel still in my back by my spine. I have also fractured and broken 34 bones and that is with the 9 fractured on my spine. I have been told 2 times that I would never walk again.

HI. WOW, I have been stabber shot with shrapnel still in my back by my spine. I have also fractured and broken 34 bones and that is with the 9 fractured on my spine. I have been told 2 times that I would never walk again.
Yeah , but they dont make them like you no more bro !!! Me , I was just hatched when you was on one of your tours ... You was undoubtabley in the thick of it dodging AK47 rounds and landing in hot LZ , and stepping over punji spikes , while I was on mothers milk ...

Back